The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Solution for Live Setup
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut
Solution for Live Setup

Hi gearslutz,
let me tell you first that I'm a pro keyboardist at a German Army Band. This means I'm playing gigs around the world like ISAF, KFOR, Mali, etc. My current setup is a Mac Pro that is running Mainstage, Kontakt, Spectrasonic stuff, Ivory etc. I've also given my MacBook Pro a try, but had serious troubles when temperature was too high (like in Afghanistan). The Mac Pro seems the better choice, but for gigs that are outside it's IMO very bad to carry a 6000$ computer around. Not to mention, that those circumstances (like playing "desert gigs") MUST be in a reasonable expenditure. We are talking about TFT-Monitor, Soundcard, MIDI Setup, Keyboard, Mouse, etc.

OTOH, I will not forego with my Samplelibraries. Only for the case someone is saying: go with hardware ...

Preventing MacBook from overheating

So what if I would deal with a Muse Receptor? Can anyone recommend this? What alternatives do I have? Any ideas for a ROCK SOLID unit like Thinkpads or something that handles high temperature surroundings?
Old 17th October 2013
S21
Lives for gear

Defence forces tend to have lots of rugged laptops - sometimes things like toughbooks, but other times just better built commercial standard models. Explain your problem to you chain of command, and get something issued.

The costs of getting you to your gigs is astronomical. If you can explain how better gear will reduce the risk of failure, the money will be found.
Old 17th October 2013
S21
Lives for gear

Sometimes you just need shade or shelter. My black ipod touch shuts down with a thermal warning if left in the sun on a 20degC day.

With shade it is still working on a 40degC day.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by S21 View Post
Defence forces tend to have lots of rugged laptops - sometimes things like toughbooks, but other times just better built commercial standard models. Explain your problem to you chain of command, and get something issued.

The costs of getting you to your gigs is astronomical. If you can explain how better gear will reduce the risk of failure, the money will be found.
Thanks for your advice!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search