The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Howdy everyone, lets play "How would you build it"
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Howdy everyone, lets play "How would you build it"

First of all I want to say hi to everyone...I've been reading posts for about a week now and I really like what I've seen and learned from it...I'm on a bunch of different forums and know what to look for...So with this being said I want to ask you guys how YOU would put together a system with the equipment I have.
I do small concerts and outdoor festivals like Zion the headliners come with full production but I sometimes do the sound for our local bands with minimum gear...Heres what I started with and then what I have been given recently.
My mixer...
Behringer: XENYX 2442FX
My mains...
Peavey :: Impulse
My subs that are in sealed Behringer boxes
Peavey 1808 8 SPS BWX 18" Black Widow LF Speaker | Full Compass
The amp running the subs...Bridged and daisy chained...
Behringer: EUROPOWER EP4000
The amp running the mains...Bridged and daisy chained...
Behringer: EUROPOWER EP2500

So heres what I was just given...and what I want to do is use some as a four channel monitor system and the rest to add to the mains...
Another EP2500, an EP1500 and a PMH2000 powered mixer...
Behringer: EUROPOWER EP2500
Behringer: EUROPOWER EP1500
Behringer: EUROPOWER PMH2000
A pair of B1520 mains...
Behringer B1520 Pro Eurolive Professional Series 15" 2-Way Speaker | Musician's Friend
A pair of E1220...
Behringer: EUROLIVE PERFORMER E1220
A pair of ARM115H-1-m wedge monitors that I think are 250 watt?
A CX2310 Crossover...
Behringer: SUPER-X PRO CX2310
Ok, I think thats it...I'd like to use the B1520 with the other EP2500 bridged and daisy chained like the peavey impulses...
The wedges and the 12in Behringers as monitors using the EP1500 amp and can I use the powered mixer to run two of the monitors?
Ok.....And GO!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Do you get large-ish acts travelling through? You might want to check their tech riders.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale116dot7 View Post
Do you get large-ish acts travelling through? You might want to check their tech riders.
Yeah I book touring bands and yeah I deal with their riders...I just had Ryan Stevenson, 7eventh Time Down and Abandon here and with them I brought in 6 other bands from around Texas and a rapper from Michigan...All Christian artist that are amazing to work with...I usually use my equipment on the local bands but this tour the sound guy ran sound for all 9 bands...It was killer...
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I would dig a very large hole and fill it with the equipment listed.
YMMV
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginearing View Post
YMMV
Nah, I'll keep it but thanks...lol....
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Did you seriously buy all of this?

I can understand one equipment piece out on a whim purchase, but wow... Impulse purchasing?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginearing View Post
YMMV
This is very good advice if your going to work with professional acts.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Although I am not a Behringer fan, there is a guy around here that works in a music store and runs sound for small festivals. He has a complete Behringer system. Mixer, amps, speakers, EQ...everything.

I must admit he makes it sound pretty darn good considering the brand name. I was surprised.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound View Post
Although I am not a Behringer fan, there is a guy around here that works in a music store and runs sound for small festivals. He has a complete Behringer system. Mixer, amps, speakers, EQ...everything.

I must admit he makes it sound pretty darn good considering the brand name. I was surprised.
I don't doubt this, and I don't doubt it can be used.

The OP will NOT book anything even halfway serious with the equipment mentioned though. We get riders all the time that explicitly forbid Behringer equipment (and often Mackie, EV, etc., sometimes even A&H with the really snooty ones).

To the OP - if it's working, great. I mean, it seems you know about what you can do with it. I would not pull those amps down under 4ohms (so don't chain more than 2 speakers together, as I believe all of your speakers are 8ohms, but verify this before you believe me - if they are 4ohm boxes don't chain any). I would baby all of the equipment, get nice cases, setup the amps and processors in safe places, keep food/drink AWAY from all of it, (including FOH). Your biggest risk is equipment failure, so do what you can to minimize that. I wouldn't involve the powered mixer at all, personally, but if you have to use it, you'll have to run your auxes into channels on the board, and bus those channels to the different amp outputs. If you had a stagebox with a split, and a friend who knew some audio, it might make sense to use the powered mixer as your dedicated monitor desk, and your other board dedicated FOH. This would eliminate a bit of connection weirdness, and it's always nice to have help.

As you get money, start buying better stuff. Try to at least shoot for Yamaha-level stuff. I would replace the power amps first, followed quickly by the mains/subs, then monitors. FOH desk is probably fine for a bit as long as it keeps working. If you want to start booking bigger bands, hire in audio - it will save you tremendous headache. I don't know of any promoter that is also the sound company. I work for promoters who have their own PA's in the venues, but that is an entirely different situation. So consider that, and maybe you won't want to invest anything more into your setup at all. If you do still want to invest in it, you may as well start being a small sound company. It's not hard to get cheap gigs (everybody needs sound for something), and you can always underbid the more established AV companies to start earning a rep. Plus local bands always need PA stuff for things, but again, they don't have much money to spend. In your case though, you can basically pay for a personal investment slowly by using it and getting experience with it at the same time, and that's not a bad deal at all.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks, I appreciate all the input...
I only hire tours with full production...I use my equipment for the local bands along with their back line and it works out great and I even mic up the drums. I wish I could upgrade but everything I do I do by donation and offer everything for free. This last event cost us just under 10 grand which I know really isn't that much but it is for my wife and kids and I and a few good friends. We rent the city park, bring in vendors, set up a kids area and rock out all day...
Anyway, my original post is split between what I had and what was just given to me so I want to use it as I can...All my speakers are 8ohm and it actually sounds really good and cranks it out...Here are a few pics from Zion Fest...

Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Personally, I don't bridge then daisy-chain, I see no benefit and just makes the amp work harder/wear down faster.

That said, here's what I do to hook it all up based on what you've given:

-XENYX 2442 main out to SUPER-X PRO.
-LF to EP4000 to "subs" with low cut on.
-HF to EP2500 to Peavey Impulse with low cut on.

-AUX 1 to EP2500 to B1520 Pro running in parallel with low cut on.
-AUX 2 to EP1500 to E1220 running in parallel with low cut on.
-AUX 3 is used for internal FX.
-AUX 4 to Y-Cable "1/4 (M) Mono to Dual 1/4 (F) Mono" to PMH2000 power amp inputs to "ARM115H wedges".
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndnbdub View Post
Personally, I don't bridge then daisy-chain, I see no benefit and just makes the amp work harder/wear down faster.

That said, here's what I do to hook it all up based on what you've given:

-XENYX 2442 main out to SUPER-X PRO.
-LF to EP4000 to "subs" with low cut on.
-HF to EP2500 to Peavey Impulse with low cut on.

-AUX 1 to EP2500 to B1520 Pro running in parallel with low cut on.
-AUX 2 to EP1500 to E1220 running in parallel with low cut on.
-AUX 3 is used for internal FX.
-AUX 4 to Y-Cable "1/4 (M) Mono to Dual 1/4 (F) Mono" to PMH2000 power amp inputs to "ARM115H wedges".
Thank you...I'm liking this...If you have time can you please expand on this?
I may be miswording when I say daisy chaining my speakers...I run my ep2500 in bridged mode and run the one output to one impulse speaker in and out to the other impulse. So is this a bad idea? I do the same with the subs using my ep4000...
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

What part needs elaborating? Think of this as a simple 2 way system with 3 monitor mixes.

Yes I understand your meaning of daisy-chaining, even though the amp offers it, I wouldn't do it but that's my opinion, there are others that bridge and say it works fine.

I totally forgot, the one thing you need to get is a 31 band GEQ / graphic equalizer for every output, that means the main out and all monitor aux outputs. How have you been fighting feedback all this time?

Since you're starting to rent your services out, there's no telling how reliable all your behringer stuff will hold out in the long run. That said, as you start earning cash, save up and sell your behringer rig on fleabay bit by bit with more reliable brands while it's still working.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Know Peace, you seem quite passionate with your cause.... Why aren't you as passionate about the equipment you use to convey this cause? I've always been poor and although I do have lower priced active speakers in my system I go to lengths to better my rig when I have the chance. I have a nice front end to help with the short-comings of the speaker's (not the best way but it works), JBL EON 510's have dropped in price I can almost taste them.

These pictures prove you have a good following so throw some benefits and raise $10,000 so you can get a nicer sound system bro!
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

azndnbdub, So are you saying use the 1520's, the 1220's and the wedges as monitors? all 6 speakers?
I guess I never really have feedback issues but when I do I just bring down the highs a little...
I don't rent out my equipment, I use it when I do a show and I run it...

24 I/O, I never had issues with Behringer, I like them because its what I can afford doing ministry...and I will absolutely upgrade as I can but when a friend gives you 2 amps, a powered mixer, a crossover, 2 pairs of speakers and 2 wedges that are all like brand new, ya jump on it, well at least I did...lol...

Thank you again for the input...my equipment, is what it is....
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

When you do outdoor festivals with a big stage, you'll want those monitors.

The Peavey impulse is the better choice to use as mains because of the dispersion (90 by 45) compared to the behringer (50 by 50).

You could use the 1520's as another set of mains but be careful of comb filtering.

Better be safe than sorry, get a dbx GEQ if you need to. You don't want to ruin the channel EQ just because of feedback.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Peace View Post
24 I/O, I never had issues with Behringer, I like them because its what I can afford doing ministry...and I will absolutely upgrade as I can but when a friend gives you 2 amps, a powered mixer, a crossover, 2 pairs of speakers and 2 wedges that are all like brand new, ya jump on it, well at least I did...lol...

Thank you again for the input...my equipment, is what it is....
Dear Know Peace,

I appreciate your passion for what you are doing. The pictures are great.
If we can be of any assistance in regards to the BEHRINGER products in your rig, please hit me with a PM anytime.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Peace View Post
Thanks, I appreciate all the input...
I only hire tours with full production...I use my equipment for the local bands along with their back line and it works out great and I even mic up the drums. I wish I could upgrade but everything I do I do by donation and offer everything for free. This last event cost us just under 10 grand which I know really isn't that much but it is for my wife and kids and I and a few good friends. We rent the city park, bring in vendors, set up a kids area and rock out all day...
Anyway, my original post is split between what I had and what was just given to me so I want to use it as I can...All my speakers are 8ohm and it actually sounds really good and cranks it out...
10 grand is a lot of money, especially in today's economy. I could never do something like that! That's great that you have the cash-flow to do such things, and by all means continue to get the most out of your gear.

Check in every now and again and let us know what you decided to do, how it turned out, etc.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sanborn View Post
Dear Know Peace,

If we can be of any assistance in regards to the BEHRINGER products in your rig, please hit me with a PM anytime.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
Great to see you here, Joe! Your turning my head already.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sanborn View Post
Dear Know Peace,

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
I'd love to see Behringer start a new sister company that only makes true Pro gear at true Pro price-points to compete with some one other than Peavey. Just saying man.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Know Peace, I would say that azndnbdub has given you about the best set up for what you have. My 2 cents is that aux 4 is post fader (meaning when you turn the volume up on a fader, whatever is coming out of aux 4 will get louder), run monitors on aux 1 & 2 and a reverb on aux 3 and a delay on aux 4. READ THE MANUAL FOR THE CROSSOVER!!! (and everthing else for that matter) Hooking up and/or turning knobs wrong on it is the easiest way to mess up your rig. I would suggest with your passion to help out the kids, take the powered mixer and small wedges and set up a place for kids to practice with those (or sell them to get you a snake). Finding 2 more small speakers on stands would give you a nice little coffee shop PA. If you were to get a snake later on down the line and your goal is to expand your equipment, get a 100 ft. 16x4 snake. Used ones are always popping up, just make sure you can test all plugs. I also agree with having an eq be at the top of the list of "what to get." I would definitely keep in touch with Joe as well. Best of Luck!
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

The real key to what you're doing is to learn how to run the system. Even a crap system can sound pretty decent in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. Quite frankly, I think you have the perfect "learners" system. You don't have anything that is that expensive to replace should (when) you damage it. Unless your system needs demand it, avoid bridging amps. At the very least it raises the THD level and limits the number of cabinets you can connect per channel as the ohm load changes. On subs I might see the use but otherwise...........no.

Learn how to properly gain structure, speaker deployment relative to the HF dispersion angles, center cluster subs, aux fed subs, HP filters, proper use of EQ and processing. DON'T get caught up in the "Comp and gate the hell out of the drums" mentality and get GOOD mics and learn how to place them. You'll be surprised how good you can make your system sound.

BUT..................Don't try to kid yourself. This system is not going to comply with any riders.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24 I/O View Post
I'd love to see Behringer start a new sister company that only makes true Pro gear at true Pro price-points to compete with some one other than Peavey. Just saying man.
Behringer owns Midas, does that count?
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebakanezer View Post
Know Peace, I would say that azndnbdub has given you about the best set up for what you have. My 2 cents is that aux 4 is post fader (meaning when you turn the volume up on a fader, whatever is coming out of aux 4 will get louder), run monitors on aux 1 & 2 and a reverb on aux 3 and a delay on aux 4. READ THE MANUAL FOR THE CROSSOVER!!! (and everthing else for that matter) Hooking up and/or turning knobs wrong on it is the easiest way to mess up your rig. I would suggest with your passion to help out the kids, take the powered mixer and small wedges and set up a place for kids to practice with those (or sell them to get you a snake). Finding 2 more small speakers on stands would give you a nice little coffee shop PA. If you were to get a snake later on down the line and your goal is to expand your equipment, get a 100 ft. 16x4 snake. Used ones are always popping up, just make sure you can test all plugs. I also agree with having an eq be at the top of the list of "what to get." I would definitely keep in touch with Joe as well. Best of Luck!
I will be keeping the powered mixer to use as stated but I'm just looking to power a couple monitors till I can grab another amp...I do have a 100 foot 16-4 snake and I'll keep an eye out for the EQ's...
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Salami View Post
Only if it were true but it is actually that MUSIC Group is a holding company that owns Behringer and Midas as well as Klark-Teknik, Turbosound and Bugera. The point of this arrangement is to be able to share and take advantage of the resources each brand can bring but they are still separate companies under a common ownership.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by museAV View Post
Only if it were true but it is actually that MUSIC Group is a holding company that owns Behringer and Midas as well as Klark-Teknik, Turbosound and Bugera. The point of this arrangement is to be able to share and take advantage of the resources each brand can bring but they are still separate companies under a common ownership.
I googled the topic and found several sources including FOH magazine that state Behringer bought Midas so......?
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebakanezer View Post
The XENYX 2442 only has one internal FX processor and it's fixed to AUX 3. So I guess OP can still use that powered mixer for another AUX monitor mix to those unknown wedges, even if it's post fader.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I googled the topic and found several sources including FOH magazine that state Behringer bought Midas so......?
Think of MUSIC GROUP as HARMAN: with Lexicon, JBL, Soundcraft, Studer, dbx, Crown, digitech, BSS, Harman/kardon, and a bunch more all under one family. Same applies to bugera, behringer, Midas, klark teknik, etc. all under one family that is music group.

I guess they put behringer instead of music group because not many know that Uli created music group as the family/corporate head and that music group = behringer.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndnbdub View Post
Think of MUSIC GROUP as HARMAN: with Lexicon, JBL, Soundcraft, Studer, dbx, Crown, digitech, BSS, Harman/kardon, and a bunch more all under one family. Same applies to bugera, behringer, Midas, klark teknik, etc. all under one family that is music group.

I guess they put behringer instead of music group because not many know that Uli created music group as the family/corporate head and that music group = behringer.
Ah..........not the other way around !
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not talking about buy-out, Sony bought the rights to all the Beatles music, this don't make them a Beatle!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search