The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Entry Level PA
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Entry Level PA

Building an entry level PA with my band so far we have a yamaha mixer and are moving on to the next step, the speakers. So far our budget is 300-400 dollars, and we're looking to find a speaker with a quality build, and good sound.

P.S. any thoughts on these? Behringer EUROLIVE VP1520 1000W 15" PA Speaker | Musician's Friend

TL;DR Looking for cheap PA speakers, lots to choose from

(Edit) This PA is only for mics, keys, etc., when the time comes to mic amps and drums an upgrade in cabinets will most likely be in line.

Last edited by johnbonham36; 15th October 2013 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: extra info
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

$400 on cabs each or total?

Behringer cabs are far from the quality spectrum.

You could go Yamaha Club, EV, or Carvin for cabs.

Just curious, whats the "mixer"?
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbonham36 View Post
Building an entry level PA with my band so far we have a yamaha mixer and are moving on to the next step, the speakers. So far our budget is 300-400 dollars, and we're looking to find a speaker with a quality build, and good sound.

P.S. any thoughts on these? Behringer EUROLIVE VP1520 1000W 15" PA Speaker | Musician's Friend

TL;DR Looking for cheap PA speakers, lots to choose from
What sort of music/venues/band line-up are we talking about here?

Louis
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Entry-level..... This sort of talk always perplexes me. You mean low cost right?
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

If you have any hope of finding "quality" speakers for $400, you will have to shop used. I cannot think of one single speaker in that price category (new) I would call "quality". On Guitar Centers used site you can often find some pretty good deals.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
$400 on cabs each or total?
Total.

Quote:
You could go Yamaha Club, EV, or Carvin for cabs.
Which of these would you suggest? It might be important to note that for now the system is only for mics/ keys, and when the time comes for micing drums, amps, etc. an upgrade will be made.

Quote:
What sort of music/venues/band line-up are we talking about here?
Small to medium clubs/outdoor parties.

Quote:
Behringer cabs are far from the quality spectrum.
How so?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yamaha A15 Pair - Musician's Friend for $360.

Carvin LS1202 for $200 each.

For the price of behringer cabs, you can get better quality with the listed above.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

Dear johnbonham36,

Best of luck with your hunt for new PA cabinets for your band.

Let me know if I can answer any questions about BEHRINGER PA cabinets or about any of our gear in general.

According to Thomann, Europe's largest music retailer, BEHRINGER PA cabinets fill 9 out of 10, of the top slots for biggest sellers.

Loudspeakers - Thomann UK

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Product Support
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yamaha A15 Pair - Musician's Friend for $360.

Carvin LS1202 for $200 each.

For the price of behringer cabs, you can get better quality with the listed above.
Which of these speakers would you say are better? Also what's the point of passive speakers nowadays if we can have active ones? Having an external power amp seems redundant to me.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which of these speakers would you say are better? Also what's the point of passive speakers nowadays if we can have active ones? Having an external power amp seems redundant to me.
Um, I assumed you wanted passive since you put a link for a passive speaker in your first post.

I personally have the carvin LS1502 and it works good, won't sound like Meyer or EAW but a cut above the rest at that price point.

Active is fine for convenience, got some myself also, but the only pair of active cabs you'd get for $400 for a new pair would be Behringer but we all know about those... unless you're willing to go craigslist or fleabay for some used ones.

/offtopic: what's the yamaha mixer model?
Old 15th October 2013
S21
Lives for gear

What sort of music?

10" has less bottom end than 15", but can sound better.

Ignore the above advice if you are a metal band. :-)
Old 15th October 2013
KEL
Lives for gear

my advice would be to find something decent used. I've had good luck with the aforementioned Yamaha club series, not the A series. Used ClubV series should be in your range. They work, hard to blow up, easy to repair. decent sound. I have 10 of them that go out on beater gigs or as monitors. used price between $150-250 ea. Don't shy away from a monitor shaped cabinet as they will go on stands. Carvin is decent too. Don't forget Peavey, I feel they have a quality low priced series
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Small to medium clubs/outdoor parties.
My wife's band plays gigs like that. They have two Yamaha 12" speakers and matching monitors. I think they're s112v. They use a Behringer powered mixer with maybe 1600 watts in two channels. It sounds good. Those speakers are $300+ a piece. I don't think you'll get a good sound with much less.

But you could do one speaker, one stand, and one monitor to get started. Call it $700. A bit less used.

Plus mixer, amps, EQ, cables.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mentioned outdoor gigs. It's easier to power a single location. It's also good not to need to think about whether someone else is going to walk up to the speaker and adjust the volume.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Barring finding some one who is in desperate need of money and want's to sell his system dirt cheap, you will need to spend $2000 (US) on a basic sound system at the starter (low-end) level. This is new equipment price's, you could pick-up something used for less but you just can't find a new system for a few hundred bucks and expect any sort of quality, be it use-able quality or good quality. This being said you need to spend around $1000 (US) on speaker's, powered speaker's are good as they have all the electronics's built-in and will generally cost you less when compared to buying separate component's. I have a set of Behringer Powered 212's, they work but I have nice front end gear that helps quite a bit with this fact. Nothing wrong with this brand-name there just not good when compared to other brand's. The JBL EON 510's are now about the same price as the Behringers I got 3 years ago, IMHO the JBL's are better sounding and in the long-run will likely last longer then my Behringer's. Sure, I feel bad that if I'd waited 2 years to buy I could have gotten a better speaker but I needed them and the JBL's where out of my price range. If you want some monitors you will need another $1000 (US) at bare minimum and the type of music your playing may show a need for more or bigger speakers then the JBL EON 510's.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Oh Boy...

to wrap up what i've seen so far it looks like I can either up the money A TON, settle for junk, or buy used and up the money a little bit less.

To me the third option sounds best and I'm willing to up the money to maybe $600 (just the speakers that is)

I've decided on powered as it would probably make this whole process cheaper in the end.

So far the Yamahas are too pricy for me and i can't find any good used ones, but the hunt continues...

HB these? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...00430002000000
Old 16th October 2013
KEL
Lives for gear

I'd pass and be a bit patient. If you want Yamaha find some club series IV or better, series V. any of those are not powered by the way..

These are not bad at all:
Electro-Voice ELX112 Passive 12" Loudspeaker | GuitarCenter

or even these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-P...%5E13625728961
Old 16th October 2013
Old 16th October 2013
KEL
Lives for gear

that link doesnt work for me
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Ugh just search this on the musician's friend site: "JBL JRX115 15" 2-Way Speaker Cabinet Restock" (w/o the start and end quotes of course)

Oh and hb this power amp?: QSC GX5 Power Amplifier at zZounds
Old 16th October 2013
KEL
Lives for gear

JRX are similar in quality to Yamaha clubs. not bad to start out with.

GX5 is a good amp.

plenty of clean used QSC RMX 1450 and 2450 too.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
plenty of clean used QSC RMX 1450 and 2450 too.
The JRX only recommend up to 500W, besides extra wattage what other benefits could these offer?
Old 16th October 2013
KEL
Lives for gear

they are very reliable, plentiful and inexpensive.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the help m8!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Peavey IPR1600's come up around $150 too, saving weight is worth the dough, and 300W is fine for starters on the speakers mentioned, especially with a soft limited class D amp. You can pound the crap out of them and they don't clip or even heat up. The nice thing is you can run both speakers off one side and rent a subwoofer when you need more output, IPR's have built-in crossovers, makes it really easy.

If you don't mind the weight, any Yorkville Elite speakers are going to be more efficient, meaning considerably louder with the same amp, and they're really tough so you'll probably find them used. But they get their efficiency from RCF drivers with cast baskets and huge magnets, hence the weight.
Old 16th October 2013
S21
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
But you could do one speaker, one stand, and one monitor to get started
The best advice so far. If you can't afford two, go mono.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh Boy...

to wrap up what i've seen so far it looks like I can either up the money A TON, settle for junk, or buy used and up the money a little bit less.
Such discussions should start with "I looked at what I need and based on that set a budget of $X" rather than "I set a budget of $X and am now looking at what I need." The best option is to not set a budget until after you know what it will cost to do what you want and then use that to set a realistic budget. Whenever you arbitrarily assign a budget it will almost inevitably turn out to be too little for what you really want to do and then you have to decide where and what you can compromise.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search