The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best sounding live PA/monitors that are *lightweight*
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndnbdub View Post
Kidding aside, I personally hate the "column array" speakers. Overpriced and under-deliver, just like the BOSE L1 line, all hype and you're just paying for the badge.

For the price of one BOSE L1 compact, you can get one decent powered speaker, hook up an A&H ZED 10 and still have money left over for a decent mic, cables and stands.
You are right, they are expensive.
I would not say they under-deliver. That depends too much on what is expexted.
At least there is no compareable product.
You can compare watts, and SPL, but thats not needed in that application.
If you compare weight and the ease of setup, the compact wins. Just try.
If you compare sound, you have to hear it. That depends on the style of music and personell preferences. I'm very happy with compacts in small venues. And i do have and use other speakers as well. The compacts sound much more fullrange than any 10" speaker.

The thread opener is not satisfied with a QSC, and that is a fine speaker. So he is looking for something different. And other active speakers are maybe not different enough, that is why i suggested to try the Bose compact.

A simple setup could be: setup the compact. 1 minute
Plug in the playback device. 30 seconds
Plug a mic in a TC reverb or maybe harmony pedal and that one into the compact. 1 minute
Do your show! It will sound good.

Bose doesn't need me to sell their products and it took me several years even to think about trying a Bose - so i can understand you very well. But for certain gigs i have to say they convinced me!

Enjoy your day with music on whatever speakers you have!

Peter
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear
In my mind, having a system that can be scaled is ideal. Right now I've got the "rock and roll" part of the equation covered (4 EV Sx200s and a pair of SB122s with enough amps and outboard to make it work). What I'd love to have is a set of the small line array speakers with maybe 120 hZ on up, and then use the SB122s for bass. AFAIK, nobody actually sells the line array part separately?
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

I haven't heard the compacts but the big ones have been bright and brittle every time I've heard them. Are the compacts different?
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
I haven't heard the compacts but the big ones have been bright and brittle every time I've heard them. Are the compacts different?
I heard the bigger L1 and L1s but never side by side to the compacts. I never thought they were brittle.
But there is on thing: if i play my tele through a mustang floor at home, it sounds a little brittle. Of course this is more because of the mustang, but i'm sure the Bose is not a Rock'n'Roller. I think it doesnt like distorted sounds.

But i made a different comparison and compared the compact to a trditional system: i took 3 of my band mates and let them play guitar, mandoline/banjo and double bass in my living room.
I set up a mixer and sent the same signals via groups to the compacts and to a small EV PA (SXa360 + Sub750).
The EV sounded like Folk-Rock, the Compact sounded like folk, the original sound just louder. Both setups sounded good, but very different. It was obvious to all of us.

And yes, my living room is 85 m2 and compareable to a small club.

At gigs we use what we think suits best for the venue. We (7 musicians) played through 3 compacts and a Markbass mini in front of more than hundred people. Everybody was happy.

So again, you have to try and decide what you prefer!
For jazz, chances are good that you will like the compact.

I was never interested in the bigger Boses because of weight and too many single parts. The compacts are the ones with the fun factor - to me!
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe I should hear the compacts... If I conclude what you have, I think I would prefer them, as I like natural...
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict

Can some help explain the various Bose L1 systems?
They aren't high on my radar, but whenever I look them up the shipping weight is 90lbs and up...and I missing something here?

Right now we're hoping to check out JBL Eon 510 (17lbs each) or the Eon 210P (14 & 19lbs with built in mixer). Anyone have experience with 510 or 210p and can comment on their sound?

Just clarify to avoid confusion, the QSC K8's sound amazing, they have never disappointed me and I must have done hundreds of gigs with them. They are just on the heavier side for small gigs (27lbs each).
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

The big differences in these Bose set-ups is the amount of speaker's. The smallest one weighs 30 lb's.

What about a small acoustic guitar amp? Some of them are quite light weight. I don't have much experience with these units but the ones I've heard don't sound to awful bad.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooghappy View Post
Can some help explain the various Bose L1 systems?
They aren't high on my radar, but whenever I look them up the shipping weight is 90lbs and up...and I missing something here?

Right now we're hoping to check out JBL Eon 510 (17lbs each) or the Eon 210P (14 & 19lbs with built in mixer). Anyone have experience with 510 or 210p and can comment on their sound?

Just clarify to avoid confusion, the QSC K8's sound amazing, they have never disappointed me and I must have done hundreds of gigs with them. They are just on the heavier side for small gigs (27lbs each).
Budget: Used JBL EON 10 G1 or G2... usually $150/ea, decent small room sound, with a bit of EQ. Bigger budget: RCF ART310a or QSC K8... $450 and $700, respectively. I love my ART322a's... K8s have a "bigger" amp, but don't spec any louder... and that seems to not be a significant issue for the OP. Both are 27 lbs.

After starting with A7 Voice of the Theater (where the horns and drivers alone weighed in at well over 50 pounds), somehow 27 doesn't seem like much of a burden for the quality of sound they produce...

HB

Last edited by hbphotoav; 28th October 2013 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: Clarification...
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

The OP just got finished reminding us that he has the K8s and loves them but was hoping for something lighter...
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear
Honestly, it's tough to come up with anything "better" for the OP's application than the K8 that weighs less.

My suggestion is to buy a folding cart. The weight is what it is given the current state of speakers and internal amps.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Honestly, it's tough to come up with anything "better" for the OP's application than the K8 that weighs less.

My suggestion is to buy a folding cart. The weight is what it is given the current state of speakers and internal amps.
Yes, we were coming to the conclusion that a folding cart might be the best solution.
Old 29th October 2013
Here for the gear

Price is not an issue: Sounds like the K Array KB1 or KB1R might work for you:

http://www.k-array.com/en/musiciansoundeng/kb1-eng.html

http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/det...e+Sound+System

K Array also makes other very small speakers you might be interested in.

I would also look at Meyer Sound. They have a great industrial line with excellent 4" speakers and small subs with innovative features:
http://www.meyersound.com/products/industrialseries/
Old 29th October 2013
Here for the gear

I'm really impressed with CODA AIRLINE LA12, and its little sister VIRAY line arrays! And not to forget the sensor controlled subs, SC8 and SCP! They pack a serious punch!
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Addict

There are lots of good suggestions but if i look at the first post of the opener i see:

1) a lady starting her carriere with doing
2) gigs in wineries and small retaurant
3) in front of 5-30 people
4) looking for a lightweighted speaker

And additionally i assume:

1) she is not an experienced soundlady, who wants to deal with adjustable line arrays, etc.
2) she doesn't want complicated setups, more plug and play

Maybe i'm wrong but if not i would still recommend either what she uses now (QSC) or - because this was tested allready and not liked - to make a test with the most simple L1 compact. Plug in an mp3 player (iPhone/Pod/Pad or whatever) a dynamic mic, maybe a reverb and sing.

I assume this can be close to perfect for what she wants. There is nothing to lift up on a stand, even if she is not in a perfect shape (what of course i do no think) she can carry the speaker, mp3 player and mic with one trip from the car and make her show.

I like those kind of musicians! Keep it simple and concentrate on music. But i generally prefer good musicians with bad equipment over bad musicians with good equipment. Might be wrong thou.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteHansen View Post
I'm really impressed with CODA AIRLINE LA12, and its little sister VIRAY line arrays! And not to forget the sensor controlled subs, SC8 and SCP! They pack a serious punch!
Overkill for OP though...

On another one, here's one looking into: Yamaha MSR100.
Old 29th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndnbdub View Post
Overkill for OP though...

On another one, here's one looking into: Yamaha MSR100.
Oh sorry, misread the thread.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casti View Post
I suggest an Electro Voice zx1A ACTIVE speaker, it's a very good light System.
Plus 1 to the EV ZXA1 powered speakers. 8" woofers so they are light yet they perform very well.

Anthony
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Addict

+2 to the ZXA1
That is a good idea!!!
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've used the little Yamahas before and like most all Yamaha products, they basically suck when it comes to live sound applications. The EV ZXA1 are right at 20 lb's so they are light, never used them before but most of EV product line is good/useable.
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Maniac

What about a couple YX12's and an IPR1600
Old 3rd November 2013
Here for the gear

oops. posted twice.
Old 3rd November 2013
Here for the gear

I think most of us have been missing the 10lb requirement.

I just remembered this. It is meant mainly for monitoring but you can probably just turn it around: Powered speaker on mic stand with some EQ and 3 inputs (mic and line, passthrough). The mic can mount to it, so mic and speaker are on one stand (might need a different mic boom than shown, with the speaker facing out) 6.4 pounds, more than enough SPL.

Galaxy Audio PA6S:

http://galaxyaudio.com/PA6S.php

I'm not sure if I would consider this high end (flat), but I would consider it a good quality device. And it sounds like it could be what you are looking for.
Old 3rd November 2013
Here for the gear

Just read that these will be for backing tracks as well. The galaxy hotspots probably wouldn't work for this.
Old 3rd November 2013
Here for the gear

What about the Fender Passport 150? It looks like the whole thing is 30lbs, so each speaker should be pretty easy to put up on stands. I'm sure they have these somewhere close by where you could try it out. I've had a client that was very happy with theirs, and people seem to like them:

http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/det...5-_-FEPP150PSS

I think these might even have Bose designed speakers... for all those Bose posters out there.
Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear

Those Hotspots are awful, edgy nasty things with no bass... we hates them we does...
Old 3rd November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
I just went through this myself, need a small PA for a school, being used by school teachers, so had to be low weight, easy to use. Ended up buying powered EON 10's, weight 17lbs. Not going to have a lot of low end, but is ideal for voice and non critical music playback. Simple enough with a mic pre, line input, loop through on a class d amp in back of the speaker.

The best sounding and smallest I could find was a bit heavier, the new JBL PRX710; sounded amazing compared to the other speakers around the same price point.

Brad
710 is 36lbs.
K8's are a hefty 27lbs.

I was looking for lighter boxes than my RCF 310's for the wife's folk band and found the 17lb. Eon and 18lb. Behringer 210D were about the lightest boxes out there with a 10" driver.

I think the 18lb. EV ZX1 is a great option as mentioned.
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

Bose L1, M2, B2, T1

I consider myself an old school hi fidelity person. I had to make a paradigm shift when I recently picked up a a Bose system. This system breaks down in smaller pieces that each have nice carrying cases. I have the B2, but the B1 would be just find for the stated purposes. I believe that a great PA with a great engineer would usually be better. However, if a person doesn't really know how to set up a PA and run the board she is better off with a plug and play system. With a Bose system, what the musician hears is what the audience hears.

I consider the biggest strength of the Bose is that you can deliver a decent, consistent sound at a low volume.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search