The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Crown amps- to good to be true???
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Addict

New Crown amps- to good to be true???

So I'm looking at these new Crown X series amps. Specifically the X4000.

Crown X4000 Stereo 2x1350W Power Amp | Musician's Friend

The venue I work at needs to upgrade it's mon amps. We're on a VERY tight budget.
I saw these new Crowns and thought...."1000w/ch stereo, @ 8ohms, for under $1000 ???, really??
In my experience, you can NOT find a good quality pro amp with those specs for under $1000. My first thought is, if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is shie. I believe they're made in China. I don't think everything that comes out of China is crap, but??....I am apprehensive.
I've looked at the specs, and it seems like a really bare bones stripped down power amp. No bells and whistles at all.....which I'm fine with. It is heavy compared to to new designs today.

Haven't seen any reviews yet, so I thought I'd see if anyone on here had tried them out yet??
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

I know watts don't determine loudness but why would you need 1kW for monitors?

QSC makes their amps in china (RMX & GX) and IMO they work fine, no failures yet for me...
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've been nervous about Crown amps after getting burned by a CE2000. I've been very happy with my QSC GX7, it was made in the USA and comes in at under $700 at MF. The GX7 is related more to the PLX line so at least when mine was made they made it on the PLX assembly line. That should be more than enough for monitors, I have two GX7's for my monitors. IMHO, if you need more than 700 watts for a monitor you don't need a more powerful amplifier, you need an audiologist.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndnbdub View Post
I know watts don't determine loudness but why would you need 1kW for monitors?
I don't find this power rate for wedges so strange at all

luca
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

Regarding the need for 1000w. Our mons are old Rat wedges(12"), that we got used straight from RATSOUND. Great boxes, but not very efficient. They're designed to handle at least 1000w. We've been feeding them with only half that....as a result our current amps(QSC RMX2450's) amps are clipping more and more, as the bands get louder & louder! It's mainly a headroom issue. We wouldn't be turning that 1000w up all the way!. I'm aware that 1000w would not make things twice as loud, but there would be a noticeable volume increase.

["I've been nervous about Crown amps after getting burned by a CE2000"].

Funny you mention the old Crown CE series. We have an old CE1000 that been in service for 10yrs, and never failed. It's tired and noisy, but has never failed....not once.

btw, I am a BIG QSC fan . They just don't have an amp with those specs I listed for under $1000.

I'm going to see if our local GC will let us try one out, just to see what's what.
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear
I use Crown amps for my band, both for the monitors and the mains; have for four years now, and I've never had an issue with the amps. I have both the xti 2000 and xti 4000 series.

Of course, I've got Furman power conditioners in every rack. That may help.

Mike
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Power conditioners don't do anything for power amps.

And unless you're in the $200+ range, power conditioners are essentially rack mounted power strips that you could buy at target for $10.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar dave View Post
Power conditioners don't do anything for power amps.

And unless you're in the $200+ range, power conditioners are essentially rack mounted power strips that you could buy at target for $10.
Agreed, the real stuff is the AR1215 voltage regulators or similar.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buss-me View Post
["I've been nervous about Crown amps after getting burned by a CE2000"].

Funny you mention the old Crown CE series. We have an old CE1000 that been in service for 10yrs, and never failed. It's tired and noisy, but has never failed....not once.
They put emitter ballast resistors right by each output device (as you should) but made them surface mount. The board flex by the heatsinks don't do the ballast resistors any good and they crack. If those resistors crack or become intermittent during a show the amp blows flames out the front. The surface mount stuff on the rest of the board is fine but 2512 SMD resistors are not the best thing to put on a PC board shared with heavy heatsinks that are not supported in any way other than the PC board itself.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

The X4000 is 1350Wx2 at 4 ohms, not 8. The Peavey IPR7500 is 1250Wx2 at 8 ohms for $799 and has built-in crossover. I've beat the crap out of an IPR1600 for 3 years and it's always sounded great. Peavey gets laughed off most riders, but if they don't see them...
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Curiosity got the better half of me on this series of amps from crown, apparently it's the XLi version made for Musicians Friend/BanjoMart, that's why the XLi doesn't show up on either website.

If you compare the specs of the X4000 to XLi3500, it's the same and so is the back panel layout.
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucabasano View Post
I don't find this power rate for wedges so strange at all

luca
I use..... much more than that

Generally MT 2400s or LA8s
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search