The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear advice needed!
Old 11th April 2013
Here for the gear

Gear advice needed!

After looking around the web for a while now, I think I'm gonna need someones help, so I hope I can find it here...

Here's the thing, I play in a 5 piece band that used to make Rock music. We decided we needed a challenge and started making electronic music, mostly drum and bass, dance sorta stuff. Though we still do it as a band setup. We have a drummer, bass player, singer and guitarists. So we still need a proper live mix. Though the venues we will be playing at probably won't have live sound engineers, only 2 cables to plug in your output and thats it. So not only do we need our own mixer, I need some extra advice on how to connect everything properly.

The drummer uses an electronic drumkit, or at least drumtriggers with pre mixed samples. He only has 2 outputs.
The singer has a TC Helicon Voicelive and some Vocoder effect, 2 outputs.
Bassist has some weird effects that allows him to create the typical dubstep Wobble. One output.
The guitarist uses an Roland GR55 synthesizer, allowing him to get actual synth sounds out of his guitar, even a freakin chopper if he wants. 2 Outputs too.
Though electronic music often has way too many layers to do it with just 5 people, I decided to put down my guitar and use the Native Instruments Maschine, Korg Kaossilator and Korg Kaosspad to fill up everything we miss. Also 2 outputs.
So I use a Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2.

Now here's my problem. I want to use the kaosspad as a general effectspad. I want to be able to choose which instruments go through it. So it would have to be in front of the Studiolive. But then I get another problem. If I shove 4 instruments through the kaosspad, I only get 1 stereo output. So I wont be able to do separate volume mixes, or even EQ/compression. And to buy 16 separate kaosspads(or something similar) for each channel is a bit insane haha.

Any suggestions on how I could fix this? Or should I just give up and accept the fact that this is one of the things I won't be able to do live?
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Sounds cool man,
There are definately some limitations and it explains the reason why I see a lot of crazy Live PA acts using 2 kaoss pads with ableton and a couple extra kaoss mini's (despite the mini's terrible sound quality in some cases)
You could probably do with an extra smaller mixer to sort of leak individual instruments in piece by piece. The looping will take care of this for you in the kaoss pad. Look up BeardyMan if you havent, he is using one insturment (mic) but he is layering them. You could be running a mixer into the pad and using faders or mutes to control amounts of volume going in as you activate each layer.
Practice with a bunch of different workflows should reveal a niche, im sure you know this already.
Alternatively, the maschine could be controlling the on-off of individual sounds through the pads if you do some creative routing.
I myself am doing a toned down electronic portion of a sort of Queens of the Stoneage style 4 peice band, im doing all the synth work on a Nord Lead2x and bass on a Minitaur, this is being controlled from a Novation Impulse using "hard midi" without a laptop.
On the side my setup is similar to yours when I do drum and bass, which I am adding in
the maschine and ableton and using usb midi on my previously mentioned hardware.
I dont know much about Presonus StudioLive but I am sure some routing experimentation with a cheap 8 channel mixer will pull some results out for you.
cheers and good luck!
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Nut

OK I don’t know if any of this will help but…
Option 1 run an aux send from the studiolive to the pads and than the pad outputs to a channel as normal.
Option 2 use the channel inserts on the tracks you want to send to the pads and build or buy an effects loop to turn them on and off.
Option 3 send a group output to the pad.

Hope this helps
NDS
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Sounds like your best option would be an auxiliary mix (maybe stereo?) to the kaoss pad and the pad returning as you would normally into 2 channels of the console. If you're using a digital console which is not near to you, you could configure a MIDI controller to give you access to the aux sends, and ideally aux on/off parameters of the required channels of the console, independent of the operator.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search