The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha CL5 processing...
Old 12th October 2012
Here for the gear

Yamaha CL5 processing...

Hi All!

I have been trying to find specfic detail on the CL5 for a while now, but I just cannot seem to find detailed technical information on it. I have scoured the manual, forums...most places!

Essentially does anyone know whether the processing in a CL5 is fixed or floating point? They have quoted limited headroom at 112dB and on a recent test I was fortunate to be apart of i heard first hand the difference between a CL5 and DiGiCo SD8...(the DiGiCo won hands down btw). I know the SD8 is 40-bit floating point.

Also, what is up with networking in Dante? I find it quite annoying that when setting up a CL5, instead of just plugging in and getting on with it, you first have to tell the console what network it is on, whether its a redundant network or not, whether you want to use a daisy chain or star network...very tedious. I understand it can (theoretically) transmit 512 in/out over a GbE network, but if your transferring that much data, why do it over CAT5??

cheeers
Old 12th October 2012
Gear Nut

all yamy gear is fixed
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombo View Post

Essentially does anyone know whether the processing in a CL5 is fixed or floating point? They have quoted limited headroom at 112dB and on a recent test I was fortunate to be apart of i heard first hand the difference between a CL5 and DiGiCo SD8...(the DiGiCo won hands down btw). I know the SD8 is 40-bit floating point.
Having worked with Digico and Yammie consoles in the past this doesn't surprise me too much..
Can you be more detailed about what the Digico did better than the Yammie?
There were other consoles in that shootout?
I hope at least that the CL series is better than the M7CL.. I haven't used a CL yet..

Digico SD, Soundcraft Vi (even if the soundcrafts are not really intuitive imo) and the Digidesign Profile are the best sounding live digital consoles I've used..
Yamaha needs to do his homework soundwise speaking, all these consoles are head and shoulders above any Yammie IMHO.

Cheu
Old 16th October 2012
Here for the gear

Well, it was a straight shoot out between and SD8 and CL5 with both using the same line array (i am sorry, but the name of the array escapes me at the mo...d'oh!).

Listened to multi-track and CD output through the desks, straight into the array and the difference in sonic clarity between the two was amazing. The SD8 reproduced the whole spectrum with incredible detail and it made the array sound like it was worth a few extra 000's! The CL5 has the same problem as all yamaha's do when being driven to much. The CD playback was clear but was definitely lacking a bit of...SD8 clarity. With the multi-track however, it just started to crunch the high-end when being driven hard...a staple Yamaha feature.

One thing i thought the Yam would do better is the FX, with the coveted 'Rupert Neve Design' plugins using the VCM modelling. Apart from looking better on screen (which we all know is a must!! [joke]) there was no difference between the Yamaha 5043 portico and U76 compressor compared to the DiGiCO standard single-band compressor...which is not an FX and is available on every channel! Some of the other engineers even commented the DiGiCo comp was better!

...and thanks for the info, it had to be fixed point really...
Old 11th June 2013
Here for the gear

Yamaha CL5

Has anyone else noticed that the Yamaha CL5 is only capable of mounting one effect on the stereo bus? I was trying to use the portico EQ and compressor on the stereo bus and noticed that only one at a time can be used. That's kind a lame don't you think.

Anyways our church was evaluating the Yamaha CL5 versus the DigiPro SD9. I personally would have chosen the SD9 based on ease-of-use and cost to features ratio. However that was not the case we chose Yamaha see a five which is still a great console.
Old 11th June 2013
Lives for gear

if you can't afford the Digico or need a "dumbproof" console..
try the A&H GLD-80.. it sounds very good, the fx are also very good IMO.. and it's quite cheap..

Of course it doesn't have the digico (or soundcraft VI series) overall quality and depth, clarity and sound.. the digico IMHO sounds better, but in all honesty it cost the half of an sd11..and eats for breakfast pretty much everything else I've used so far.. also their own old i-Live boards.. (I dunno the new ones, if they're any different)..

try to test one, I believe you'll be impressed.. at least I was..

I'd not have any problem touring with one.. (at least from a sound quality point of view).

Cheu
Old 8th September 2013
Here for the gear

Could u pls help me to choose CL 5 or SD9?
which one is better and why?
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by farasout View Post
Could u pls help me to choose CL 5 or SD9?
which one is better and why?
I believe it's up to personal taste and workflow matters..
even if with both consoles you'll be able to set them up pretty much as you like..

The Digico SD9 will sound way better IMHO, there's no contest.. Yammie might be more user friendly or well known by others engineers if you will use it that way..
Between the two I'd go with the Digico, without any doubts.. but that's me..

As I said the A&H GLD (now there's also the 112, simply 8 faders more) could be a cheaper alternative.. and will sound way better than the CL5 or any digital Yammie.

Test them if you could and then decide.. possibly at the same time with the same (good) PA.

Cheu
Old 8th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Another vote for the A&H GLD-80 if you're on a budget. SD9 if you want really great sound.

I'm not thrilled with the CL5. It doesn't suck... it's just not great either.
Old 9th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Don't forget the baby Midas Pro models.
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

Yes do forget the baby Midas PRO consoles.

I hate them. I know that is not a popular statement, but I do loathe them. They do sound great, but the work flow sucks balls.

The Digico is a great board, but I find myself tweaking rather than mixing...if that makes sense. The Allen and Heath is a really great mixing console. The Venue consoles are just great sounding work horses.

I will let you all know my opinion on the S3L when I try it shortly as well as the Cadac FOUR and Cadac EIGHT when I test them out shortly as well. I am pumped to add these to the mix and give them a thorough work out.
Old 9th September 2013
Gear Maniac

I agree with everyone's comments so far.

but, just to make something clear:

Whether a device is fixed or floating point, in and of itself, has nothing to do with the end-result audio quality.

In the same way that processor speed in Mhz, on its own, has nearly nothing to do with the in-application power of a computer.

It may be part of the audio quality outcome, but it doesn't define it.

The move from fixed to floating point processing in audio consoles is more a function of a change in DSP design techniques and processor choice than an audio quality decision.
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
Yes do forget the baby Midas PRO consoles.

I hate them. I know that is not a popular statement, but I do loathe them. They do sound great, but the work flow sucks balls.

The Digico is a great board, but I find myself tweaking rather than mixing...if that makes sense. The Allen and Heath is a really great mixing console. The Venue consoles are just great sounding work horses.

I will let you all know my opinion on the S3L when I try it shortly as well as the Cadac FOUR and Cadac EIGHT when I test them out shortly as well. I am pumped to add these to the mix and give them a thorough work out.

The baby Pros aren't bad, they just take some getting used to. Definitely not for everyone, and I wouldn't recommend them for a church where you're going to have different engineers/volunteers working on it and with possibility of lots of different events/setups. It would be good for a tour or venue if the engineer wants to work on the Midas, but it's hard to get tossed onto it if it's not your first choice.

I will add yet another vote for the GLD-80. Great little board, a nice alternative to the CL or M7, and a good deal less than almost anything else mentioned in this thread so far.
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombo View Post
Also, what is up with networking in Dante? I find it quite annoying that when setting up a CL5, instead of just plugging in and getting on with it, you first have to tell the console what network it is on, whether its a redundant network or not, whether you want to use a daisy chain or star network...very tedious. I understand it can (theoretically) transmit 512 in/out over a GbE network, but if your transferring that much data, why do it over CAT5??
You may be missing the general concept. It's much easier to create a more limited 'plug and play' proprietary audio network than one that can be available to multiple manufacturers and uses standard data network devices and practices. And when you use standard data networks, devices and protocols then you have to follow their conventions and setup. With Dante or AVB you're essentially configuring a data network and that is potentially both an advantage and/or disadvantage.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search