The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Dynamic Vocal Mics for Stage?
Old 29th March 2015
Here for the gear

If you need a few mics, I've even used them for the drums, then the MXL LSM-3 live mics actually arent that bad. The fact that they don't pick up quite as well as the shures can be beneficial for feedback. I picked a few up pretty cheap on Amazon and so far they've been good (almost a year. mostly jamming not playing gigs every night). It's always nice to have at least one good mic for the lead vocals, but these work well as additional and backups.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
Electro-Voice N/D 767a
Another vote. Very nice stage mic. Sounds better (more detail, smoother) than an SM58 and rejects feedback better.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear
As others have said, there is no "best" but it depends on various factors, such the vocalist, the room, the monitors, etc.

That said I too like the EV N/D767 and I also find the EV PL80a to be excellent if you need a really tight pattern. If you have never tried these, they are definitely worth a go. Nice sounding mics and reasonably priced too, considering how well they perform.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

I also really liked the EV n/d 767a. It is one of my favourite dynamic mics that I've used. I found myself picking the Sennheiser E945 more often though. I'm keen to hear the new EV ND series announced at NAMM a couple of months ago along with Shure's KSM8 but am in no hurry to change my dynamics as I'm using condensers more these days!
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear
I ordered two EV n/d767a's from musicians friend for $49 each earlier this week. I paid $79 each at the end of 2015. Wonder why the price drop or how long it will last?
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
I ordered two EV n/d767a's from musicians friend for $49 each earlier this week. I paid $79 each at the end of 2015. Wonder why the price drop or how long it will last?
Whoa!

I already have 6, but man, at this price I am tempted to pick up a couple more!

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Wow that's a bargain for mics of that quality! I wonder if the prices will be dropped in the UK to clear stock for the new ND series?
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Maniac

What's more important, how a mic looks or how a mic sounds?

MD441 for best performance.
Shure 55SH for best visuals.
Old 1st April 2016
S21
Lives for gear

... in a live setting more fans will notice the visual differences than will notice the audible differences. Just say'n ...
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Maniac
Behringer XM8500

Hi have 16 Behringer XM8500's. Behringer copied the SM58.

They sound almost identical to a SM58.

They have the same build quality.

My oldest is 15 years old and still going strong.

For £16.00 you get the mic, a hard padded case and a mic clip.

No brainer for those on a budget.

Or if you need to replace that old SM58, get 3 of these for less than 1.
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Zombie thread!!!
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Zombie thread!!!
Double zombie thread even!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Tough Stage Mics

Hi everyone. A bit of background, we run a small venue and are just starting up our own little record label. We have quite a bit of gear for live performances but want to get some 'better' recordings of our live shows.

The venue is a not for profit business, or maybe I should re-phrase this to only for loss, open mics, shed loads of house kit, but now I'm entering into the twilight zone - I look at microphones and my head nearly explodes, so much opinion, so many routes and I can't even make a start at determining what way to go.

There are so many new products on the market, and I can't decide what to spend money on. What I need is 5 X Mics for vocals that are tough enough to get knocked a bit that are going to give me some improvements over the Shure Beta 58A's that we have which although great on some voices, seem to struggle with others.

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, and sorry if this is an idiotic question.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The two best hand-held dynamic microphones I know of are the MBHO MBD 219 Cardioid or super cardioid microphones and the Lewitt MTP 550 DM cardioid microphone. Both sound good...better than most actually, are rugged, offer a lot of gain before feedback, and have excellent proximity performance. The MBHO is listed for $364 from Dale Pro Audio and the Lewitt lists for $120 I think, either will outperform most if not all other dynamic microphones and sound better doing it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
When I'm running a festival stage, I put a Sennheiser e935 out for every vocal. They replaced a set of EV N/D767a - the e935 is smoother through the kHz range, which means they work fine for every singer that have tried them. I picked up a bunch of 935s (and 904s and 906s) when Sennheiser did their big sale, and I haven't regretted that for a second.

Sam, I haven't directly compared 935s with the mics you've mentioned. Have you done that comparison? Would be interested to know your thoughts.

Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Sam, I haven't directly compared 935s with the mics you've mentioned. Have you done that comparison? Would be interested to know your thoughts.
I did, and I still don't own a single 935. everybody who bought the 219 or the 550 on my recommendation have been very happy. there are several threads here about especially the 219.

check this thread and check the video that was linked:
Mbho mbd 219 sc

and here is the link to a thread about the Lewitt 550:
Lewitt MTP550 dynamic mic.

Last edited by Samc; 1 week ago at 08:37 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone - I think I'm clearer now, and going off shopping. It's great that you guys share your knowledge and experience, sound advice (see what I did there) is very hard to come by.

My knowledge stopped 20 years ago and I have got back involved in a different world ! Now where is my pen and paper
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search