The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need mixer for live use with XLR DI on each channel Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Need mixer for live use with XLR DI on each channel

Changing bands and a previous band member walked away with the mixer we've been using with my humble practice PA rig. So I'm in the market for a new mixer. Honestly, my personal mixer use has been totally basic, run a bunch of crap to it, move the faders to balance levels, and send it out mono to a power amp and speakers.

Moving forward I'd like to be able to haul the PA rig to live gigs in preparation for a live electronica act I've been trying [in vain] to put together for a while and run everything to the mixer and be able to send the FOH XLR DI outs for each instrument. Though I suppose I can just as easily buy a couple 4-spot rack DI units. I just figure the cost of the DI could simply be rolled into buying a better mixer that has that feature built right in... and save myself some rack space and cabling along the way as I'll need a mixer for practices anyway.

* 19" rack mountable to fit in the top of a SKB Gig Rig
* Min of 8 input channels, more preferable
* Usable mic pre's but with line inputs on each channel as well. I'll most likely be feeding primarily line inputs (digital multieffects, e-drums, synths, etc.) with just 2-3 mics.
* Inserts on each channel so I can plugin external rack FX per channel. I actually only have plans to do this on two channels used with electronic drums. I actually need to do some research to see if it would be better to bus the drums and put FX on that way, but currently we run mono and hard pan kit pieces L/R through the drum brain then insert FX on the L/R separately so I can bang out a standard snare, then dedicate a kit piece off to the side to bang out a snare with FX applied. Best solution I've come up with so the drummer doesn't have to be stomping pedals, just have certain kit pieces effected so it's simple and consistent to remenber.
* XLR DI outs for each channel. Ideally they would be configurable for post EQ, post insert. Again for the electronic drums which will have some rack effects inserted. That allows me to send standard XLR DI to the FOH snake right from the mixer. I suppose balanced 1/4" would work, I'd just need to invest in a ton of cabling or adapters to convert to XLR for the FOH snake.
* I would also likely use the mixer for recording occasionally, though I don't see why I wouldn't just plug everything into my M-Audio Profire 2626 directly and bypass the mixer for recording purposes. But I suppose it might be useful to someone pull outputs for 8 channels to record live shows for mixdown later.

I'm sure there's somethings I haven't conceived of. Like the cost, heh. I always buy used to save a buck. Would be great if I could score a mixer that fulfills my needs for $400-$800.

Thankee.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search