The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PA Speakers? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Talking PA Speakers?

hi,

I'm new in working with live equipment. I wanna buy a pair of PA speakers for live performance (vocal mostly). I just know that many people like Mackie SRM450 v2. Money doesn't matter, just suggest me the most adorable renown and best ones.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi! I've been using the mackies a couple of times (mostly for live monitoring). I can't say that I am a big fan. Their lack of clarity is what really bugs me. Shure, you can trim them in and make them sound ok, but there are better options. Frankly, I am not that good at live PA stuff, so I won't be able to give youany good suggestions. But go have a listen to some different models. And by all means, if you like the mackies, get them. Merry x-mas!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

What exactly is the instrumentation going on and what kind of music? I mean, is this with a rock band that you just want to pump your vocals over the instruments/amps on-stage? How big are the places you're playing at?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Smile

I'm working more with the studio stuff and I know in my area the most important thing is the acoustic in the room. I haven't worked with the live stuff. Well, mostly I will practice singing, with a instrumental beat behind, and on live performances (sometimes unplugged versions with guitar and sometimes with a band). The music style is pop and rock mostly. Merry Christmas!
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

QSC K8's and K10's are really hard to beat for what you are describing. Throw in a KSub down the line and you can use that combo in an unbelievable variety of settings. I can say that with confidence because I bought the K8's and have used them for acoustic gigs, open mics and my daughter's dance parties! Surprising low end from a small box. The KSub definitely kicks it up a notch
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I agree with Chunky on the QSC K-series. The K10's with a Sub are very hard to beat! But if just for vocals, the K10 or even the K8 is just fine. They are incredibly light weight, sound good, quite powerful, and built like a tank. I took some to China with me to use as stage monitors at the World Choir Games, it was nice to just plug in their power cables over there and it also gave me 220volts without having to use a converter. Yeah, I like the K-series a lot.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

If money doesn't matter, get these.
I have a pair and i've heard nothing yet that comes close.Lot's of power and clean enough to listen to cd's on em.Stand back though.heh
Actually they sound great at high or low volume.

Yorkville Sound: Unity™
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

You've never said what size room you have to deal with. Whether people recommend one of these:

or one of these

depends largely on where it's going!
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Thumbs up

Thanks people. thumbsup You have no idea how much you helped me. You already convinced me to buy those QSC K10. But while I was looking for, I came up with a new model from k-series, the K12. Is k12 better than k10? If they are better or bigger I can take those. What do you think?
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiAudiophile View Post
Is k12 better than k10? If they are better or bigger I can take those. What do you think?
Id go with the K12 myself and add a sub, done
QSC K12 | Sweetwater.com

Actually, I like the K12 with the birch wood more though, BUT its more expensive
QSC KW122 | Sweetwater.com

Then add a sub

We have the 10's at church and they sound fine with the sub BTW, room of 300 covered just fine
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

How about Bose Professional?
Bose Pro Audio and Speakers

Antaren
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks people. thumbsup You have no idea how much you helped me. You already convinced me to buy those QSC K10. But while I was looking for, I came up with a new model from k-series, the K12. Is k12 better than k10? If they are better or bigger I can take those. What do you think?
The thing about the K-series is that they are same, it just comes down to which size you need. They have the same power, tweeter, etc---the woofer is different. IMHO the K10's are a better bargain when using a subwoofer as they are smaller, lighter, etc. If you have the money for the K12's that's fine, but do you need to spend the extra money if that money can just go towards the subwoofers?
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Check out the EV ZX1A'S!!! They are active! They are way Cheaper than the QSC's and WOW great performance! Made for Vocal and Acoustic guitar! Seriously check them out! I use them for floor monitors and I also use them for mains for the coffee houses. I also have the QSC K12's, nice...I don't like the 450V2 mackie's sound wise, but they have been workhorses, very familiar with these. I haven't used the new HD's though, just heard recorded material through them, can't comment... Thought about it, but after hearing the EV's ZX1A's couldn't help it for the price! I got 2 for well under a grand! Don't let their weight and size fool you. These little monsters get loud, look nice, and stay out of the way! I give them monitor of the decade award! If you want a really great speaker that gets stupid loud and is in a different class look at the EV Zx5A's! The Tour X's are really nice too, but they are big and they aren't active. I just really like EV speakers. I have tried many different systems. I have been gigging for many years and when I play out I want to hear like I am singing in the studio, EV gives me that for a great price point! I also like the JBL SRX's...expensive and passive. I also like the EAW's, expensive. I didn't care for the JBL PRX series. I demoed a lot of different systems, however being a country/rock singer, guitar player, and drummer, EV gets my money. They are built in the USA also, if that is important to you. And I don't work for EV!!!! ROCKON BROTHER!!!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

I'll check the other speakers that you mentioned too, but most of all I started to adore these QSC. So, the QSC company is american, only they assemble their products in China, right?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Head

P/A speakers are "working" speakers, or "tools", It's all about effectively delivering sound to your audience, and you'll soon discover that audiences, venues, crowd behaviour, genre of music, will all come into play. A loudspeaker that is perfectly adequate for an acoustic guitar recital in a quiet theatre, simply may not cut it in a noisy bar where most patrons could care less about what's happening on stage. The louder you turn up, the louder they'll talk, etc.

You'll want to consider things like pattern control, dispersion, spl (sound-pressure level), articulation, punch, presence, responsiveness to EQ, etc.

I'd recommend that you look into your requirements a little more deeply, before taking the plunge. I'd also recommend choosing a loudspeaker you can build upon (adding subs, more mains,etc). The addition of subs is not only about increasing bottom-end delivery,,, it's also about taking a load off your mains, to allow them to work more efficiently.

I would think that a decent 12" speaker with a proper 1" exit HF horn will see you off to a good start. A tighter horn pattern, will allow you to cut through to the back of a noisy room, more effectively than a wider/taller dispersion-pattern horn for example.

If you're just getting started with P?A gear, I'd recommend you take a look at Yorkville and Yamahas' guides to pro-audio.

Yorkville Sound: Professional Audio Guide

Yorkville Sound: PA Guides

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/downlo..._guide2010.pdf

Your initial post referred to "vocal mostly",,, you may want to audition the ElectroVoice SxA 360. Yorkville NX55p may also serve you well, and it has a more flexible input section. JBL also has the PRX series 612m, which may also be interesting to your application. I'm a very satisfied Yorkville man myself. (NX55p's, EF500pb's, LS-720p subs.)

Good luck,

Bob
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll check the other speakers that you mentioned too, but most of all I started to adore these QSC. So, the QSC company is american, only they assemble their products in China, right?
Most manufacturers build their products in China today.....
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

i dont know the #'s on the current line but i'm surprised no one has brought up jbl's... my keyboard rig goes through dbx pre and X'over qsc power to mp 410's... crystal clear...
Old 26th December 2010
PDC
Lives for gear

JBLs are sMackies are very hard to repair. Neither sound great. I would say...look at the new Peavey boxes with the ribbon drivers. SMOOOOTH.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
You did say money doesn't matter? Try this...

RCF 4Pro 7001 A-BA 2x15" Powered Speaker System

That'll put out 138 dB, which if it's honest is the highest output of any speaker system I've seen to date.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

yes, I believe QSC is an American company.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks everyone. Now I'm quite sure I can't go wrong with these great and many suggestions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search