The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
strangest mix of bands at a concert
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McNerney View Post
yes, I was there at that one...

and Jo-Jo Gunne opened for them one year at the park as well...
yep, I was there, was that the last show with that lineup when they opened up with Schizoid Man? And I think Robin Trower opened up for them at the Felt Forum, for the Starless and Bible Black tour.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
Another kinda weird one I saw was Joan Jett opening for The Police. It was at the very height of Joan's brief "glory"... it was Market Square Arena in Indy, seats about 15,000... after Joan was done, I swear HALF the arena emptied out... I assume it was mainly teenagers who wanted to hear Joan but didn't care for the Police
Joan Jett and her band kick some SERIOUS ass!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

OK, I'll play:

AC/DC (opening act)
Michael Stanley Band
The Dictators (headliners)

This was at the Palladium in NYC in (I think) 1977. AC/DC and The Dictators were a kinda-sorta plausible pairing, but sandwiching Michael Stanley in the middle was just plain odd....they were midwestern rockers, in the vein of the Jayhawks or some such.

I'm not a huge AC/DC fan, but I have to say, despite being the opener and playing to a hall that was maybe 2/3rds full, they gave it all they had and rocked the house that night.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
yep, I was there, was that the last show with that lineup when they opened up with Schizoid Man? And I think Robin Trower opened up for them at the Felt Forum, for the Starless and Bible Black tour.
yes, saw the felt forum show w/ trower.

in central park...
jo-jo gunne was 73.
golden earring was 74.
(who booked those opening acts????)

that KC line up did two shows at the academy of music as well...
saw them, can't remember who opened.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd say you've won the award for biggest contrast there. Although the Herd could definitely ROCK in their day!

I've read somewhere that Steve Lawrence and Eddie whats-her-name opened for Hendrix once... or was it the other way around?
the new years' eve hendrix fillmore east show was opened by the voices of east harlem... a gospel choir that rocked...
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I was at this show:

strangest mix of bands at a concert-august-jam.jpg

It was the ELP tour with all the pyrotechnics, the rotating piano, etc.

...Then the Alllman Brothers stood there and played under a wash of red light for three hours.

(Don't get me wrong; the Allmans were great. -- Its just that it was more than somewhat anticlimactic after all that!)

Old 22nd December 2010
js1
Lives for gear

Almost forgotten about this one.

Joe Walsh opening for Leo Kottke.

The worst thing about it was that I thought Joe was the headliner, so I got there late, and only saw the last 3 songs. The best thing was that's when I discovered Leo Kottke.

js
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Vince Gill had a bluegrass band in the late 70's, and they opened a few shows for KISS...Vince said a few years ago it was the only time he was booed off stage.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertmo View Post
First concert I ever saw.

UB40 opened for Van Halen on their "1984" tour.

that's just beyond wrong
Yeah, I saw that tour. By UB40's third song, there were 15,000 people in the audience giving them the finger. I've often wondered what it would feel like to knock down a nice solo and then look out and see 15,000 people giving me the finger.

My pick was seeing the Greatful Dead open for the Who. The Dead's Peace & Spiritual Harmony gave way to the Who's rage and destruction.

Laser
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm sounds View Post
Vince Gill had a bluegrass band in the late 70's, and they opened a few shows for KISS...Vince said a few years ago it was the only time he was booed off stage.
How could anyone boo Vince Gill off the stage?--he's a smokin' hot guitar player.

Oh, yeah. They were KISS fans. What would they know about smokin' hot guitar? heh heh heh

This billing is as weird as it gets.

Laser
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
dude you got it!

i didn't do the thread as a BAD indicator..i never woulda found the bands i did as a kid ..if they didn't mix soul, blues, pop , jazz and rock in tours years ago..

it wasn't LABEL shows and homogenous bands playing the same type music..as a listener you were always challenged

plus no one thought it was great to "play it like the record"..live was playing it and jamming... christ i can put on a CD ..take a piss when i want and hit pause if i wanted to hear that..to watch a band stretch was why ya saw a show

the shows i posted were GREAT!

and i had monkees and hendrix albums..there were a few great productions on that monkees stuff as pop and middle road as it was
+1

My basic philosophy is that rock and roll is great as long as it's not 'pure'. Look at Cream or Hendrix or even the Stones, they had jazz drummers in their lineup. Iggy Pop was into Coltrane and Albert Ayler and even though he lacked their musical and technical sophistication he took that burning primal energy and that created The Stooges.

And speaking of the Monkees and other great pop stuff, many of the same guys that did Sinatra were also on those sessions. Or Zappa and the Mothers.

**** corporate music and formats, we need to get back to that Fillmore gumbo!!!
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
+1

My basic philosophy is that rock and roll is great as long as it's not 'pure'. Look at Cream or Hendrix or even the Stones, they had jazz drummers in their lineup. Iggy Pop was into Coltrane and Albert Ayler and even though he lacked their musical and technical sophistication he took that burning primal energy and that created The Stooges.

And speaking of the Monkees and other great pop stuff, many of the same guys that did Sinatra were also on those sessions. Or Zappa and the Mothers.

**** corporate music and formats, we need to get back to that Fillmore gumbo!!!
exactly..i always said mitch mitchell reminded me of tony williams...girl gives me a book on hendrix by mitch and what does he say??? elvin jones and tony williams are his mentors ..i hated the stricter rhythm that buddy miles put into band of gypsies

and look at the Doors..a 3 pices rhythm section with no bass player and a jazz drummer!

look at the monteray pop line up

Friday, June 16
The Association
The Paupers
Lou Rawls
Beverly
Johnny Rivers
Eric Burdon and The Animals
Simon and Garfunkel

Saturday, June 17
Canned Heat
Big Brother and the Holding Company
Country Joe and the Fish
Al Kooper
The Butterfield Blues Band
The Electric Flag
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Steve Miller Band
Moby Grape
Hugh Masekela
The Byrds
Laura Nyro
Jefferson Airplane
Booker T. & the M.G.s
Otis Redding

Sunday, June 18
Ravi Shankar
The Blues Project
Big Brother and the Holding Company
The Group With No Name
Buffalo Springfield
The Who
The Grateful Dead
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Scott McKenzie
The Mamas & the Papas
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wait, I got it now: Friggin' PETER MAFFAY opening for the Rolling Stones in Germany in the early 80ies!
Was that the "7 Brücken bis Babylon" tour?heh
Sorry, couldnt' resist.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Was that the "7 Brücken bis Babylon" tour?heh
Sorry, couldnt' resist.
I guess so! I think it was promoter Fritz Rau's idea though. The Stones had impeccable taste in 'support acts' in earlier times, just thinking of BB.King, Ike +Tina Turner and Furry Lewis.

Another good pairing was Joe Ely supporting The Clash in the USA. Different styles but a similar spirit, let's bring that back!
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
I guess so! I think it was promoter Fritz Rau's idea though. The Stones had impeccable taste in 'support acts' in earlier times, just thinking of BB.King, Ike +Tina Turner and Furry Lewis.

Another good pairing was Joe Ely supporting The Clash in the USA. Different styles but a similar spirit, let's bring that back!
yeah along the lines i saw the specials , english beat, and the police all different takes on a music style!
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Stevie Ray Vaughan opening for The Moody Blues
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 View Post
Almost forgotten about this one.

Joe Walsh opening for Leo Kottke.

The worst thing about it was that I thought Joe was the headliner, so I got there late, and only saw the last 3 songs. The best thing was that's when I discovered Leo Kottke.

js
Exactly why wacky bills can be wonderful.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
The Good Rats opening for Meatloaf....After 5 minutes of Meatloaf the audience was screaming for the Good Rats to come back and play...
Holy Crap! Do you remember where you saw that show? This was the first concert I'd ever seen in my entire life! I was in 6th grade, and I can't quite remenber where it was. Somewhere in upstate NY I think. I do remember running into Peppe Marchello in the bathroon though.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoner View Post
Holy Crap! Do you remember where you saw that show? This was the first concert I'd ever seen in my entire life! I was in 6th grade, and I can't quite remenber where it was. Somewhere in upstate NY I think. I do remember running into Peppe Marchello in the bathroon though.
waiting for an answer from you, and loopy, for that...

I was the FOH engineer...

it was either...(i think these were the only four...)

Garden State Arts Center, NJ
somewhere upstate, NY
St. John's in Queens, NY
Hammersmith Odeon, London

and it's spelled Peppi Marchello...

and thanks for remembering...
it was 1978...

d.

Last edited by Denny McNerney; 23rd December 2010 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
exactly..i always said mitch mitchell reminded me of tony williams...girl gives me a book on hendrix by mitch and what does he say??? elvin jones and tony williams are his mentors ..i hated the stricter rhythm that buddy miles put into band of gypsies
Exactly. Mitchell's drumming style had an obvious effect on Hendrix's guitar playing; fluid, jazzy, loose. I'm trying to think of the cut (instrumental I believe) on "Are You Experienced" that many jazz players cite as one of their favorite tunes -- Mitchell and Hendrix SWING on that tune.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 View Post
The best thing was that's when I discovered Leo Kottke.

js
I saw Kottke once, and what REALLY blew me away was his ELECTRIC guitar playing. Although he only did a few songs on electric, he had an incredible, unique sound, almost entirely derived I believe from his technique
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly. Mitchell's drumming style had an obvious effect on Hendrix's guitar playing; fluid, jazzy, loose. I'm trying to think of the cut (instrumental I believe) on "Are You Experienced" that many jazz players cite as one of their favorite tunes -- Mitchell and Hendrix SWING on that tune.
I guess you mean 'Third Stone from the sun' which was a fave of Jaco Pastorius among many others.

Have you heard the new 'West Coast Seattle Boy' box? Lots of great stuff there but the killer for me is an instrumental version of 'Castles made of sand', I think it was the first take in the studio and it just features Hendrix and Mitch Mitchell: A plain duo that creates an incredible orchestral soundscape. I mean the finished version is wonderful but even done as a somewhat more agressive instrumental without vocals or bass it's pure genius.

I agree that Mitch was the perfect foil for Jimi but there are a few numbers like 'Power of Soul' or the instrumental take on 'Born under a bad sign' (released on the 'Blues' collection) where Buddy Miles ultra straight backbeat works great I think.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Addict View Post
Joan Jett and her band kick some SERIOUS ass!
True. When I saw her with the Police, she did the Stones tune "Star****er" I thought that was ballsy, given a significant number of her audience were teenagers.

BTW -- I've seen the Police 3 times: late 70's, early 80's (Ghost in the Machine era) and mid 80's (Synchronicity era). The late 70's concert they were great, but the other two they were quite lame. I think this may be because their early tunes were fairly easy to play live, while their later songs used a lot of overdubs... not to mention the fact that after becoming huge stars and millionaires it had a negative effect on them as a group
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

back to the topic...

The Gary Burton Quartet...
opening for...
The Fugs.

Fillmore East, again.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McNerney View Post
back to the topic...

The Gary Burton Quartet...
opening for...
The Fugs.

Fillmore East, again.
Love it.
Th Fillmore East was the best place ever to hear music.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

When I saw Van Halen at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1984, the opener was a rockabilly band. Their bass player had a pink upright. I forget what they were called but it was an impossibly poor choice.
Old 25th December 2010
maq
Gear Nut

back in the 70's

Al Stewart (headlined, but went first) ; Crack the Sky

Elvin Bishop; Blue Oyster Cult; Rod Stewart and the Faces (their last tour)
Old 25th December 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post
jimi hendrix

opening for...

The Monkees
Just the way it should be. Love the Monkees. Never much of a Hendricks fan.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

The Outlaws, Robin Trower, and Boston at The Omni in Atlanta in the late '70's. Rock guitar from three different angles was the theme of the evening, I suppose...Great concert.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you remember the 80's Thrash scene, during Metallica's "Ride The Lightning" tour, they were paired with WASP. The audience reaction to WASP was... interesting.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search