The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
strangest mix of bands at a concert
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
Another kinda weird one I saw was Joan Jett opening for The Police. It was at the very height of Joan's brief "glory"... it was Market Square Arena in Indy, seats about 15,000... after Joan was done, I swear HALF the arena emptied out... I assume it was mainly teenagers who wanted to hear Joan but didn't care for the Police
It was the Police picnic in Toronto in the 80's I saw Joan Jett play on an all day bill which included Flock of seagulls and 999 and maybe sub-humans and a few others. We had good binoculars and the sight of seeing her getting pelted with food and bottles after "I love rock n roll" is ingrained in my memory. Funny and sad at the same time.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Leo Kottke and the "whistler"

In the late 1970's Leo Kottke was touring Germany with a classical whistler that I will not name......it was not the whistlers fault that the audiences hated him.

The whistler was very talented, if you're into that sort of thing.

I was running FOH on the tour. The audience would curse me in German and pound on my back during the whistler's set. They screamed their disrespect at the stage. He only lasted a few shows before they mercifully pulled the plug on him. I did not enjoy the pummeling, and the audiences did not enjoy the whistler.
Old 21st December 2010
Jeff..that's a CLASSIC!!!!! hehhehheh
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

A bit more recent, in 2002, but by far the strangest mix I've ever seen:

Modest Mouse
Black Sheep
Flaming Lips
Some group from "O Brother Whereart Thou"
Cake

It didn't make any sense at all, and the musicians on stage looked uncomfortable, for the most part.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

at the Fillmore East, Bill Graham had Woody Herman's big band open for Led Zeppelin...
and Miles Davis open for Laura Nyro...

gotta love Bill...
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Sometime in the late 70's I saw Gary Wright, Lynard Skynard, Peter Frampton and Yes all at the same concert at a horse race track in the Chicago area. I want to say Hawthorne race track??
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Sometime in the late 70's I saw Gary Wright, Lynard Skynard, Peter Frampton and Yes all at the same concert at a horse race track in the Chicago area. I want to say Hawthorne race track??
i saw that line up in Philly LOL.."the brown acid is bad" on the public address system
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Emery opening for Copeland...

Two totally different energies, very different genres...I loved them both, but it was a bit of a weird show.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Dman, I was there too.

But you forgot the opening act Natural Gas(Who?)

Those were the good ol' days of concerts. Remember that this was the first outdoor concert that the city of Chicago allowed after the Sly & The Family Stone Grant Park concert riots in July '70.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitar View Post
Dman, I was there too.

But you forgot the opening act Natural Gas(Who?)

Those were the good ol' days of concerts. Remember that this was the first concert that the city of Chicago allowed after the Sly & The Family Stone Grant Park concert riots in July '70.
That's right I remember natural Gas was playing when we got there. Talk about a long hot thirsty day. We had nothing to drink all day, I'll never forget that
Old 21st December 2010
King Crimson and Golden Earring at Schaefer Music Festival. The entire crowd spent all of Golden Earrings set giving them the finger
Howza bout some good lineups, Gentle Giant opening for Jethro Tull during the Thick As A Brick Tour.
Gentle Giant opening for Mahavishnu at the Felt Forum. Here's a bill, 3 acts Yes was the opener for Fragile Album, King Crimson next with the Islands lineup, Boz Burrell, Ian Wallace, Mel Collins, and Fripp, and the headliners........ Procul Harum, all at the Academy of Music
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Another one I remember was on 8/6/77 at Soldier Field, Chicago

Foghat, Climax Blues Band, J. Geils Band, and ELP with a 120 piece Orchestra.

I think it was called the Super Bowl of Rock. That's when Keith Emerson was spun up in the air playing his grand piano.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Duke Ellington, Roland Kirk, Young Holt Unlimited, Gary Burton, Hugh Masakela and The Mothers Of Invention (Miami Jai Alai Fronton, 1969 I think). Great concert.

Spirit, Focus and The Charlie Daniels Band (Bayfront Auditorium, St. Petersburg FL, around 1974). Not so much.
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
King Crimson and Golden Earring at Schaefer Music Festival. The entire crowd spent all of Golden Earrings set giving them the finger
Howza bout some good lineups, Gentle Giant opening for Jethro Tull during the Thick As A Brick Tour.
Gentle Giant opening for Mahavishnu at the Felt Forum. Here's a bill, 3 acts Yes was the opener for Fragile Album, King Crimson next with the Islands lineup, Boz Burrell, Ian Wallace, Mel Collins, and Fripp, and the headliners........ Procul Harum, all at the Academy of Music
Saw every gentle giant show that played in the area..great band

lol Procul ...robin trower..his road manger plastered me to a wall when i tried to walk out on his live radio concert at our studio..the only time i liked nepotism
Old 21st December 2010
Yes (headliner), Edgar Winter Band, Black Pearl, Eagles (the openers, receiving almost no applause whatsoever except from me and my pals, familiar with them from their Springfield/Burritos/Poco/Tom Waits connections).

Rory Gallagher with just about any band unlucky enough to get picked for the opening slot. As warm and enormously musically open-minded as Rory himself was, the crowd who went to see him were utterly cruel to each and every opening act I saw him with (and I think that was about 7 shows), the only exception being when I saw him with a grandpa-aged black gospel ensemble opening for him. It was an impressive strategic move on the part of the booker, but, looking around you got the sense that many in the audience were still eager to get to the main act, despite the uncharacteristically, polite/friendly reception.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
yes, I was there at that one...

and Jo-Jo Gunne opened for them one year at the park as well...
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

firsthand exp.

On of my rockbands, playing as backing band for a female pop singer. We were supporting pussycat dolls and beyonceé this year (2 shows)....wasn´t fun.

"...a guy band supporting the pussycat dolls...wtf" they even refused to give us access to the catering....
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McNerney View Post
at the Fillmore East, Bill Graham had Woody Herman's big band open for Led Zeppelin...

gotta love Bill...
I read the Mike Bloomfield bio 'If you love theseblues' a while ago and it seems that Bloomfield had quite a lot to do with convincing Bill Graham to book jazz and blues greats along with the rock and psychedelic bands.

I really do wish that we had billings like that today, but maybe we don't have artists like that anymore.

I also love the story how Miles was pissed of for having to open for Steve Miller and so he would just arrive 1 or 2 hours late thus forcing Steve Miller to go on first while Bill Graham was throwing a tantrum....
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Wait, I got it now: Friggin' PETER MAFFAY opening for the Rolling Stones in Germany in the early 80ies!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
I didn't go but I thought that M83 supporting Kings Of Leon was very odd.
They share audience to a degree so it's a great slot for M83.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

The US festival from the early 80's was strange. Alabama & Motley Crue on the same stage.

Good stuff though.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
Kenny Wayne Sheppard opening for the VH3 tour. No one tried to kill him, they just didn't show up till after his set, or completely ignored him. It's funny, he played great, and the Gary Cherone version of VH was somewhat forgettable...
Old 22nd December 2010
offspring, then my bloody valentine. in portugal 2009.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

strangest mix of bands at a concert

Who remembers daphnie and celestes epic performance at reading 2000???
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I read the Mike Bloomfield bio 'If you love theseblues' a while ago and it seems that Bloomfield had quite a lot to do with convincing Bill Graham to book jazz and blues greats along with the rock and psychedelic bands.

I really do wish that we had billings like that today, but maybe we don't have artists like that anymore.

I also love the story how Miles was pissed of for having to open for Steve Miller and so he would just arrive 1 or 2 hours late thus forcing Steve Miller to go on first while Bill Graham was throwing a tantrum....
dude you got it!

i didn't do the thread as a BAD indicator..i never woulda found the bands i did as a kid ..if they didn't mix soul, blues, pop , jazz and rock in tours years ago..

it wasn't LABEL shows and homogenous bands playing the same type music..as a listener you were always challenged

plus no one thought it was great to "play it like the record"..live was playing it and jamming... christ i can put on a CD ..take a piss when i want and hit pause if i wanted to hear that..to watch a band stretch was why ya saw a show

the shows i posted were GREAT!

and i had monkees and hendrix albums..there were a few great productions on that monkees stuff as pop and middle road as it was
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

At the Illinois State Fair, August, 1968:

Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs and The Who opening for The Association.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

The Black Eyed Peas opened some of the U2 shows last year. That was interesting, but it was nice hearing Bono speak highly of the BEPs after U2 played a few songs. It's nice to see an open mind to a very different genre of music.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Some long-forgotten lame disco act opening for Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Was in 1979 at the Colliseum, Vancouver, B.C.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McNerney View Post

gotta love Bill...
I'd say you've won the award for biggest contrast there. Although the Herd could definitely ROCK in their day!

I've read somewhere that Steve Lawrence and Eddie whats-her-name opened for Hendrix once... or was it the other way around?
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Saw every gentle giant show that played in the area..great band

lol Procul ...robin trower..his road manger plastered me to a wall when i tried to walk out on his live radio concert at our studio..the only time i liked nepotism
A funny Gentle Giant lineup was when they did the live record tour, they played Central Park with Starcastle, which was at least to me back then, a pretty funny band
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search