The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live mixing with DAW DAW Software
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Talking Live mixing with DAW

Hi, what is the latest news on live mixing with a DAW. A few years ago I thought it would be great to be able to use studio plugins. What are do's and don'ts? Is there a maximum of channels, other waus of routing? Who has experiences with this. In Logic? PT?
Old 19th December 2010
You'd need a powerful system so that you could run very low latency without the system fudging up.

Latency in a live situation is an immense pain. The band's monitors will be very distracting, it will probably result in timing issues, the FOH probably wouldn't be as much of an issue since it's recommended that you put a delay on your main L and R anyway to create the illusion that the sound is coming from the stage.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Searching the forums for "Liveprofessor" brings up some previous discussions.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

You can already do it... It is called a Digidesign Venue Console. Basically Pro Tools in a live sound package.

--Ben
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I read this: RME Artists and tat was hope giving. I do not need that many channels. in many cases (Indian classical) 4 is enough.... I thought of giving monitor with Protools zero-latency monitoring. And then some reat EQ and reverb plugs for FOH.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Benjamin. I was thinking about max 10 channels......
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Hi,
I'm using my MIO as pre-amps and channelstrips a lot live! Works great, no problems so far.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

MIO?
What do you use for mixing then?
DAW software?
INternal soundcard level software?
(The idea is to use some plugins FOH.)
Old 25th December 2010
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman View Post
MIO?
What do you use for mixing then?
DAW software?
INternal soundcard level software?
(The idea is to use some plugins FOH.)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are we talking about using a DAW for FOH-mixing or live to 2-track mixing? or something else.

I use my setup with Cubase5 to make live to 2-track mixes on my macbook 13", having a bunch of plugins running and recording the multitrack aswell with no problems.
For FOH gigs I like inserting the MIO on channels to have some nice channelstrips.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

@David Spearrit.
Happ[y New year!

Yes, yes, yes, i know.......
Jost want to see if I can get the in the box processing to stage. Preferably with a compuer and sound card as mixer. (for up to max 10 ch...)
Old 17th December 2016
Here for the gear

Yes, live mixing with your DAW is possible...

Hi guys,

I have been using logic pro to mix live gigs for a few years now. Up to 30 inputs and 14 outputs. Mixing FOH and monitors with very low latency, and an incredible sound quality.

Until now, I used to always put a mixer between my sound card and my inputs to keep a hand and eye on my outputs, just in case something went wrong with the computer.

But I have now developed a hardware VCA rack to replace the mixers.

Anyone interested can learn more about that project by visiting :

Accueil | Big VCA | Showtronics | George Dyson
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.dyson View Post
I have been using logic pro to mix live gigs for a few years now. Up to 30 inputs and 14 outputs. Mixing FOH and monitors with very low latency, and an incredible sound quality.
How much latency exactly? It's pretty easy to measure.

And what makes it so incredible? Are you using UAD DSP expansion? Because if not, any plugins with low enough latency won't be any better than a digital console anyway. If you are, how is it better or more economical than a comparable digital console with laptop/UAD integrated via the console's multitrack interface? (USB/Firewire/MADI/Dante etc)
Old 18th December 2016
Lives for gear

Oh my aching SACroiliac...
Old 18th December 2016
Here for the gear

Hi AC2SPL,

Because I run quite an old i5 iMac, i keep my buffer sample rate to 128 samples to keep sufficcient . If you add the very low latency of RME Fireface sound card, that brings you to a total return trip latency around 9ms. Which, by the way, is exactly the same as moving your speaker 3 meters back. It works just fine in 99% of the situations, even for monitors. The only time it was an issue for me was when working for percussive instruments with no acoustic sound (typically pads). The musician could then just slightly hear the delay. In such case, I route the monitor mix for that instrument directly from the RME TotalMix Software which has the lowest latency possible (<1ms).

I have never had the chance to use UAD gear, which looks great, but I find the sound of Softube tubetech compressors, Sony Oxford EQs, Lexicon Reverbs and Altiverbs just too good not to be used live.

And also of course, using the computers opens up many possibilities to experiment things that you just can't do with any digital mixer.

You can check out photos/videos of the kind of shows I work for here :

Contemporary dance with live music.

Pierre Rigal - compagnie dernière minute - Micro
Pierre Rigal - compagnie dernière minute - Même
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search