The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PA system for a middle sized church Mixers (Analog)
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Nut

In that case, do you think we should try for wood cabinet QSC speakers or no? I kinda like the look of the plastic ones. I guess that's what I get for growing up in the 90's.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

I'd say that you will be great wit a couple of RCF ART series speakers0 even the smallest ones (310) are delivering both the highs and the lows- when I first heard them- I was looking for a sub- and couldn't find it anywhere in the room!
RCF ART's coupled with their subs do magic- and the whle setup would be very light too!
Talking bout a mixer-I'd say any used Mackie VLZ series will do great- they sound good, reliable, and you can always find them used.
4 channels of pre's is good for even a small band, I'd do a live pop-rock gig with a couple of 310's and 1202, it won't be too loud- but the board would be able to mike up a little kick, vocals, acoustic guitar and keys, and the rest can go unamplified
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
In that case, do you think we should try for wood cabinet QSC speakers or no? I kinda like the look of the plastic ones. I guess that's what I get for growing up in the 90's.
I was suggesting you listen to both. Don't buy anything until you hear it and I would recommend you rent some and try them out first.
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedupsteve View Post
I was suggesting you listen to both. Don't buy anything until you hear it and I would recommend you rent some and try them out first.
+1 Always listen first. And listening really needs to be in an appropriate environment. Showrooms usually aren't. Listen where you will be using them, or someplace acoustically similar.

Wood is not necessarily better in and of itself, but it is usually a sign of better quality, especially in these cost cutting days. Being heavier wood resonates less, the resonances can sound better, etc. Plastic is usually used for cost savings, weight, and to make marketable bezels. However with rare exceptions it resonates more. Pretty much all the high end speakers are made of quality wood. (OK some esoteric ones are made of carbon fiber or concrete.) But in this type, Meyer, R-H, Danley, D&B, L'Acoustic, etc. are all wood. Of course this is a generalization and there are always exceptions, but...
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

Ended up getting the QSC K12s, and they sounded perfectly fine for what we're doing. The concert went smoothly, and all is well. Eventually I'd like to get some really pro speakers, but this should suffice for now.

Thanks for all the constructive feedback guys. Keep it real!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search