The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure KSM9 vs Neumann KMS 105 Condenser Microphones
Old 4th September 2015
Gear Addict

no, then your KSM9 is ****ed up..

I'll take a KSM9 over a neumann any time.. Sounds better, more defined, a lot less spill, a lot better feedback rejection..
When Neumann made the 104/105, they forgot how important isolation can be on a stage..
Yes, the off-axis doesn't sound to bad, but it's just too bloody much!

So yes, the Neumann is a good mic, but in very limited applications, where you have a really quiet stage and don't need to amplify to much..

in all other cases i go for the KSM9..

BUT..

since DPA was already mentioned: the D:FactoII just blew me away !
whole different league. Amazing off-axis sound, amazing rejection and isolation, amazing sound and amazing gain before feedback !
never have i been so impressed with a mic before..
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear

So many Mics, so little time(and money)

Holy Jebus! I played a benefit gig last weekend and the singer in the next band up told me he just got the Neumann 105 and loves it..
Just what I didn't need!
I've got a pile of mics most of them studio mics but have recently tried out some dynamics for my vox..for the last 30 or so I've been the 58, and the last 2 years the beta 58. This was after trying out the beta 57/58/87..akg 880..
Now I've got to try out some more!

My situation is I sing lead vox,play bass and run sound in this band.
A 3 piece Rock band. My voice is sorta high..Plant,Hagar, McCartney ish..ish
The board is the QSC touch mix 8, which has awesome feedback control for the monitor mixes..
It seems to me that most of the reviews on the Neumann 105 aren't by rock singers..and most of the folks running sound for rock bands areN'T stoked by the 105?
Anyhow, id still like to try out the 104/105/ or the SEN 965 and the shure KSm9

So 3 different perspectives..what the singer likes, what the soundman likes and the studio guy likes..ok the audience..but what do they know..

I'm going back to the jam this weekend to try to shoot out the neumann with my b58..Anymore MICS I should try out?
LOVE THIS THREAD!! THANKS!
Old 28th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
The audix vx10? If you mean that one, yeah, I'd like to try that as well.
The Audix VX10 has two versions, the VX10LO would be best for smaller live situations.
Old 28th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ View Post
Holy Jebus! I played a benefit gig last weekend and the singer in the next band up told me he just got the Neumann 105 and loves it..
Just what I didn't need!
I've got a pile of mics most of them studio mics but have recently tried out some dynamics for my vox..for the last 30 or so I've been the 58, and the last 2 years the beta 58. This was after trying out the beta 57/58/87..akg 880..

The board is the QSC touch mix 8, which has awesome feedback control for the monitor mixes..
It seems to me that most of the reviews on the Neumann 105 aren't by rock singers..and most of the folks running sound for rock bands areN'T stoked by the 105?

So 3 different perspectives..what the singer likes, what the soundman likes and the studio guy likes..ok the audience..but what do they know..

I'm going back to the jam this weekend to try to shoot out the neumann with my b58..Anymore MICS I should try out?
I know Matt Bellamy has used a KMS105 forever. I'd say that's about as rock as you get. Their stage sound I believe has always been pretty low being a 3 piece and for a little while they've basically done 0 amps on stage.
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtPhildoRaines View Post
I know Matt Bellamy has used a KMS105 forever. I'd say that's about as rock as you get. Their stage sound I believe has always been pretty low being a 3 piece and for a little while they've basically done 0 amps on stage.
Cool! Excuse my ignorance on Matt Bellamy but He's playing on some pretty big stages I assume?
The guy that brought this mic to my attention is a country singer, he has these open jams on Sunday so I am curious to hear how it picks up.
That situation is different than most of the places I play in that the drummer is on the far left of the band with the players and the singer to the right so you
don't have the Lead mic picking up as much.
Anyhow he was raving about it and I din't get to stay to hear it so
looking forward to it, thanks!
Old 6th February 2018
Bump !
i was after a great condenser for my jazz gigs. I have a voice that needs high mid sweetness, I usually use M88 vintage. I can sing low and warm, but as soon as I go up in my range, I have this Sting, Gotye nasally type of voice.

I just bought the KSM9 for my birthday yesterday and boy I was disappointed by the weird high mids! felt like it had a 3db curve around 900hz or so, how colored! I bought a second hand mic so I almost think it might be dead.

My friend had a Seinnheiser ( 965 I think?) and it was way more natural, unhyped but with very nice highs.

do you think its the KSM9 signature?

So now I really want to try the KSM105 or others...
Old 6th February 2018
I wouldn't describe the ksm9 as having a bump in the upper mids. If anything it's a bit warm and needs an upper mids boost to cut through better. Are you using it in cardiod or hyper card? Cardiod sounds better.
The senheiser 965 is also a great mic and better for some voices.

I'd love to hear a Shoeps CMH 64U .
Old 6th February 2018
Thanks ! Last night I used it in hyper.

I'm shooting it out vs my M88 right now. I said upper mids but I was trying to describe pinched mids and "cheek" sound resonance like singing with a tube on your mouth.

Seems the bump from the KSM9 wich is actually at 400hz quite narrow, from what I can judge right now.
Hard to realize the M88 has more vintagy AND detailed high mids , and clearer top end, with a lot of bottom. detailed but warm and creamy mids.

KSM has this 400hz reso, very tight lows and I would say high mids/highs or presence hasn't got any contender style "wow".

sounds almost broken to me !
Old 6th February 2018
M88 is a great mic. But it's dynamic. There's no way it has more detail in the hi than a ksm9. I find the m88 very warm and usually have to cut a lot of lows. My guess is your ksm9 is broken.
My biggest issue with the ksm 9 is that when you need to cut through a loud band it's not mid rangy enough. That's why people like sm58s. They cut right through. But boy do they sound bad.
Old 6th February 2018
I hope my KSM9 is not broken ! it's not dull compare to the M88 but definitely not has that condenser hype I was expecting. here are two short files. I find the M88 definitely has some highs , or high mids that are quite detailed.

Dropbox - Syl M88 vs KSM9

one take, two mics carefully placed, vovvox cables , apollo twin so identical preamps.
an anyone spot if the KMS9 sounds damaged ?

Last edited by DownSideUp; 7th February 2018 at 12:22 PM..
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
I hope my KSM9 is not broken ! it's not dull compare to the M88 but definitely not has that condenser hype I was expecting. here are two short files. I find the M88 definitely has some highs , or high mids that are quite detailed.

Dropbox - Syl M88 vs KSM9

one take, two mics carefully placed, vovvox cables , apollo twin so identical preamps.
an anyone spot if the KMS9 sounds damaged ?
FWIW, I'm listening on an iMac and not my studio monitors. IMHO, the KSM9 sounds more detailed and more natural. I don't think it's broken. There's alot the M88 isn't capturing. However, the M88 sounds thicker in the lows. I prefer the KSM9. YMMV
Old 26th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpenkala View Post
FWIW, I'm listening on an iMac and not my studio monitors. IMHO, the KSM9 sounds more detailed and more natural. I don't think it's broken. There's alot the M88 isn't capturing. However, the M88 sounds thicker in the lows. I prefer the KSM9. YMMV
Thanks a lot, to me there is definitely something going on. even live, my singer friend told me the mic sounded barky.

will try it tonight again.
Old 12th March 2018
Weird ! KSM9 sounds so middy, kinda hate it. I have my female singer friend try it out the other night, to see if she would buy it, she said " sorry I will use my old sennheiser, this KSM9 make me sound like a fried pan"

Boxy , middy and no "condenser" top end.
I might need to try a new one to compare.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Are you sure it’s not the processing/mix that’s not wrong?
Old 13th March 2018
No processing, same PA, same gigs. analog board, minimal EQ, or sometimes digital board with minimal EQ too ( hi pass, and high shelve). Guitar and two voices, nothing crazy, all if fairly flat and no comp.

I did a careful studio comparison too, level matched and no processing.

Live, other mics didn't convey such a "nono" response ( Sennheiser 945, M88, or sometimes Beta 87 or SM58). wether it's broken, or it hates our two VERY different voices.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

I've always been pretty "meh" on KSM9... I've heard it in the wild and on the tube dozens of times, try to pay attention, and have thought... "that's a great sounding vocal mic" maybe twice. Mixing one a couple of times has done nothing to get me off "meh". It seems like the it's much more "vocalist dependent" than the other contenders.

First time I heard a Beta87a (Kenny Rogers at a convention show in Texas maybe 15 years ago) I asked the FoH guy what it was. Then I bought one. Then I bought two more. Would like to do the same with a couple of KMS104s (they also make for a dynamite sounding X/Y drum overhead pair) but I'm usually about a grand short (sole proprietor provider). I choose my Senny 945 and SM86 on certain voices, and sometimes Beta57a, E835/845 and (rarely) lowly SM58 when horses need a different course. If I could afford a KSM9, I'd buy a 104.

But, then... that's me, and the people for whom I put up my mics. MMV. It always does.

HB
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
I've always been pretty "meh" on KSM9... I've heard it in the wild and on the tube dozens of times, try to pay attention, and have thought... "that's a great sounding vocal mic" maybe twice. Mixing one a couple of times has done nothing to get me off "meh". It seems like the it's much more "vocalist dependent" than the other contenders.

First time I heard a Beta87a (Kenny Rogers at a convention show in Texas maybe 15 years ago) I asked the FoH guy what it was. Then I bought one. Then I bought two more. Would like to do the same with a couple of KMS104s (they also make for a dynamite sounding X/Y drum overhead pair) but I'm usually about a grand short (sole proprietor provider). I choose my Senny 945 and SM86 on certain voices, and sometimes Beta57a, E835/845 and (rarely) lowly SM58 when horses need a different course. If I could afford a KSM9, I'd buy a 104.

But, then... that's me, and the people for whom I put up my mics. MMV. It always does.

HB
I smiled after reading this because my experience was the opposite to yours...I ended up owning three KSM9s after hearing/using them the first time but disliked the Beta 87A immediately. I’ve tried it several times and decided I didn’t want to work that hard and finally gave up on it.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I smiled after reading this because my experience was the opposite to yours...I ended up owning three KSM9s after hearing/using them the first time but disliked the Beta 87A immediately. I’ve tried it several times and decided I didn’t want to work that hard and finally gave up on it.
... and that's what makes the world go 'round, my friend.

H
Old 14th March 2018
Here for the gear

Our little hobby band got a good deal on a used KSM9 and we replaced the leadsingers beta58.
He loves it. We love it. He now sings with such ease and feel he doesn't have to push himself like he always used to. The sound is incredible compared to the 58. Warm and full.
Old 14th March 2018
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post

HB
Thanks! I'm in the "meh" camp it seems . I've heard Beta 87A at shows ( Lizz Wright) that made me go "wow" , maybe I should give it a try.

I just baught a Lucas Nano 608i PA, for small gigs...this thing is a game changer. unreal detail, and very few feedback. A condenser could definitely shine on it.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
Thanks! I'm in the "meh" camp it seems . I've heard Beta 87A at shows ( Lizz Wright) that made me go "wow" , maybe I should give it a try.

I just baught a Lucas Nano 608i PA, for small gigs...this thing is a game changer. unreal detail, and very few feedback. A good microphone could definitely shine on it.
There....I fixed it.
Old 14th March 2018
Good microphone already do shine on the Nano . M88 and more. I have yet to experiment with a few condensers mics, as I have already covered the dynamic mics for my voice quite well. M88 is a gorgeous mic.
Old 16th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ View Post
Just what I didn't need!

The Telefunken M80 provides a more accurate representation of your voice over the Shure SM58 and Beta version. For a richer sound, the KSM9 and Neumann both provide it. Personal preference on which is better. The sound of your own voice my be great on one mic but someone with different sounding voice not to much
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search