The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 subs - Different brands and sizes
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

2 subs - Different brands and sizes

Hello all. I'm new here.

I could really use some advice on something.

I have couple of EV ZLX12P PA speakers that we play with in our practice room (Which is L=5.8m x W=5m x H=2.2m in dimensions).

So, I have 2 subs:
1x HK Premium:PRO 18'' with a crossover from 75-150
1x Alto TS215S 15''

Would it be bad to use them both at the same time? Any horrible phase?

And where should I place them, for best balanced sound?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

It's not ideal but you got them so try it out, in general any two reflex subs should cooperate to some extent but if one of them has more latency than the other because of internal processing(new world problems) you could get no bass at all.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppaPot ➡️
Hello all. I'm new here.

I could really use some advice on something.

I have couple of EV ZLX12P PA speakers that we play with in our practice room (Which is L=5.8m x W=5m x H=2.2m in dimensions).

So, I have 2 subs:
1x HK Premium:PRO 18'' with a crossover from 75-150
1x Alto TS215S 15''

Would it be bad to use them both at the same time? Any horrible phase?

And where should I place them, for best balanced sound?
...depends on what are you trying to achieve using two subs: more output, larger frequency range (if one sub goes significantly lower), wider or more narrow pattern, rear attenuation, counterbalance oversized tops etc.

if it's just for some (non-specific) ooompf, if subs measure roughly equal and if you are not experienced in designing, arraying, measuring and aligning pa systems much, i wouldn't bother much and just have fun!

if you have the tools (filters, delay etc.) and do some experientation, you might get the two subs to behave similar which then opens up a few options for arraying them and to achieve very specific goals...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 1 week ago at 01:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Like the others have said, why are you asking and not just experimenting? This seems to be a plague on forums these days. Experimentation, where it's not going to cause damage, is the best way to learn.

As it's a rehearsal venue, do you really need to be pumping up the level in such a small room. Sometimes less is more - and your ears will thank you. It's hard to imagine needing two subs in that size of room. Try one and then the other, if you have to - and see how moving them around the room affects the sound. And, if you insist on trying both together, probably best to co-locate them - try them in separate locations, then try them together.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…