The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reference files for loudspeaker measurement
Old 24th November 2020
Here for the gear

Reference files for loudspeaker measurement

Hey,
I'm looking for reference files that I can insert into my software.
The idea is to insert a "perfect" frequency response curv to help me during the EQing of my loudspeaker system.
I'm working with Smaart 7 for measurement and analysis and with L-Acoustics network manager for managing my system.
Thank you !
Old 24th November 2020
Lives for gear
This is objectively the perfect curve:

Everything else is subjective.
Old 24th November 2020
Gear Maniac

The EQ that you need for your loudspeaker system is dependent on where you are using it and how it is deployed. That is what smaart is for. Seems you need a Smaart users manual
Old 24th November 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by franckramseyer View Post
Hey,
I'm looking for reference files that I can insert into my software.
The idea is to insert a "perfect" frequency response curv to help me during the EQing of my loudspeaker system.
I'm working with Smaart 7 for measurement and analysis and with L-Acoustics network manager for managing my system.
Thank you !
that's not the way an fft works: use pink noise or sweeps and a mic to measure the speaker's response in each specific room (or outdoors) and in a specific position - then use dsp to adjust until you get the response you're aiming at.

an 'ideal' response varies depending on lots of factors but mostly on the taste of the foh engineer who's mixing the headliner - bass bump is quite common these days but say for maximum speech intelligibility of talking heads at a corporate gig, you want to use a much different curve...
Old 24th November 2020
Lives for gear
Maybe just one more thing to add. Indoors frquency response isn't everything as reverberation time changes with frequency and a system that would show as perfectly linear in terms of amplitude might have very uneven distribution of energy (amplitude per time) at some frequencies. You can visualise this with a waterfall graph.
I like to play some music to do the final tweaking (TBH I usually do all the EQ-ing by ear). It's good to hear something that is somewhat similar to what is going to be played thorough the PA because reverberation will influence the transients differently than the long tones.
Genre and volume (at least in my opinion) also has influence on how the system should sound. For something like drum and bass you want less high-mids and more bass so that you can feel the sound without hurting your ears, for acoustic music, a flat system is usually prefered, for speech, you don't need the lows and a bit of additional presence that would make your ears bleed in a loud club can be actually beneficial.
Old 24th November 2020
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear