The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Overhead Recommendation - C214/Mini K47/??
Old 18th November 2020
Here for the gear

Drum Overhead Recommendation - C214/Mini K47/??

Hello everyone. First post here on the forum and I’m looking for some recommendations on new overhead for drums. I will strictly be using them in a live setting. I am leaning towards either C214’s or the Roswell Mini K47. Trying to keep my budget under $700 for a matched pair. Do you have any recommendations along these lines or something else I should be looking at?
Old 18th November 2020
Gear Guru

shure ksm137
Old 20th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm partial to SDC's for overheads, especially for their off-axis imaging when used as a stereo pair. I've used Rode NT5's for well over a decade and been happy, but recently scored a pair of used Josephson C42's for an obscenely low price of $500, and wow what a jump in quality. But they're normally over $1k for a pair, comparable to Neumann KM184's but a different flavor. I don't know the Mini K47's, but if C214's are on your list and you can find some C42's in your budget I guarantee you will never look back.

Something that would be good to know is what you've used in the past and what aspects you would like improved upon, plus what styles of music you're using them for.
Old 1st December 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
If you are going to SDC check out the Oktava Mk 0-12 and the Telefunken M60. I like them both a lot more than the KM184 in most applications including overheads.
If you specifically are looking for LDCs I would I probably wouldn't go for the AKG C214. I have used the C414s a lot and the newer ones have never wowed me at all as overheads, I do not have any experience with the K47s. The Audio Technica 4050s are really great if you can afford them/find a used pair. I also have a pair of Shure SM27s that work really well as overheads and a seriously underrated mic. Also, the Warm Audio WA-47jr is also a great mic that would fit into your price range.
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The 214s have always been a go-to for me. Not in the same category as 414s though no consumer listener will ever say, “yep, that’s a 414 mic (not a 214)”
Old 6th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've really liked AT4050's as well, but I've only used them on rock kits, seemed to kick things up a notch which might not translate well in other genres. I have seen a pair for $700 before, was pretty tempted, but I'm convinced SDC's are better for most stereo pair applications expect maybe a stereo pair around a point source like strings, which doesn't have any live applications I know of.
Old 6th December 2020
Lives for gear
Beyerdynamic MC930s for me. They do well in all the usual SDC places. I've also used them for micing instruments live on-stage. Always excellent results.

Chris
Old 6th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
SDC
Line Audio CM4 or the Shure 137. You pay a bit more for the Shure, but get switches and Shure bombproof construction.

LDC
Advanced Audio CM414
two of them are just a hair out of budget, but would be very useful general mic's to use as more than just overheads.
I think advanced Audio makes a better cap than AKG does currently. Pre 1990 AGK is a huge step up in quality and cost.
two CM47fet are within budget.

Ribbons.
Cascade makes some decent lower cost ribbons. Take a look at recording hacks big ribbon shootout. The Cascade mic's performed well at that price point. There are samples as drum overheads and costs. Fat head or one other model that costs a bit more.
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I actually enjoyed the Shure KM81s on a recent session, for my SDC pick
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear