The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo Aux Routing, XR18, Qu-SB etc.?
Old 15th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Stereo Aux Routing, XR18, Qu-SB etc.?

I'm with a touring theatre company. Looking at a box + iPad digital mixing setup (XR18, A&H Qu-SB etc.).

But: we work with a multi-speaker setup, and I need (at least) 4 outs where I can pan within any pair of them. Presumably, I need either stereo aux or buses that I can allocate a pan (knob?) to. From what I can see, XR18 doesn't allow this, the pan only applies to the Master Stereo outs. Qu-SB seems possible. Any others?
Old 11th December 2020
Gear Head
For theatre, I use MOTU AVB units which usually have more outputs than inputs.

To design similar moments, I'll set up specific aux's to be patched to specific outputs, and then build a Qlab cue which sends an OSC command which look like this:

mix/chan/<#>/matrix/aux/<#>/send

In Qlab, you type in a value from 0-4 (0 for -inf, 1 for Unity, or up to 4 for +12) and then type in a fade time, so it's locked in and smooth.

The programming can take a minute, because channel numbers are obnoxiously offset by one (Channel 1 is 0, so therefore Channel 5 is 4, ect.) and as written above, the OSC values aren't 1:1 with send values.

Though once you've got your programming started, you can copy/paste cues as you need them, and it's all super consistent in a way which is useful for live theatre.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear