The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer X-Air XR18 routing - live sound and playback
Old 14th November 2020
Here for the gear

Behringer X-Air XR18 routing - live sound and playback

Hi all,

I have a Behringer X-Air XR18 which is a great bit of kit that we use for our church. At the moment I am using the XR18 at home to pre-record some songs but I have an issue with routing that I need some guidance.

The XR18 is currently plugged into my laptop using USB and I am recording songs on Cakewalk by Bandlab using the ASIO driver.

I have headphones plugged into the headphones socket on the XR18 and would like to be able to hear live sound through the phones as well as the playback from the computer. I play multiple instruments and want to be able to hear back what I've already recorded while I lay another track down, and I also want to be able to hear the click track from Cakewalk.

By changing the routing of the Phones from Monitor to USB 1/2 in the Main Out routing on the XR18 I can hear either live sound or playback, but I can't hear both.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing please? I'm sure there's a simple answer but I've spent ages messing around and haven't managed to solve what is hopefully an easy problem to fix!

Thank you,

Dave
Old 14th November 2020
Gear Addict

The approach I use is to do all the IO, including monitoring, on the XR18

For single instrument at a time recording, I use the XR18's input 16 as my input, patched in the DAW to the appropriate channel. I then use XR18 channels 1-15 as my playback channels, routed appropriately in the DAW, and with Input->Channel Source=USB for all of those channels.

There are other ways to do it, but this works for me.

I often think I should stop at using the XR18 for input and then do all mixing in the DAW, Reaper in my case, but I still find mixing more immediate on the XR18. I've also still not found a quick easy way in Reaper to get the decent reverbs that are a piece of cake on the XR18.
Old 14th November 2020
Gear Addict

The approach I use is to do all the IO, including monitoring, on the XR18

For single instrument at a time recording, I use the XR18's input 16 as my input, patched in the DAW to the appropriate channel. I then use XR18 channels 1-15 as my playback channels, routed appropriately in the DAW, and with Input->Channel Source=USB for all of those channels.

There are other ways to do it, but this works for me.

I often think I should stop at using the XR18 for input and then do all mixing in the DAW, Reaper in my case, but I still find mixing more immediate on the XR18. I've also still not found a quick easy way in Reaper to get the decent reverbs that are a piece of cake on the XR18.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear