The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alto ts312
Old 10th November 2020
Here for the gear

Alto ts312

Hello guys,
I have a question. Recently i am using proel flash 12 active speakers but i would like to buy new onces and use these as monitors. Im doing sometimes sound for pop/punk bands indoor and outdoor. I have to say its strange but my proel tops where really okey but i need something more powerfull so i was thinking about alto ts312. What is your opinion about them? For how many people i can play inside if i buy also for example 2 alto ts318 subs? Can i handle 200 people? I love to doing sound its my big hobby! But im still a student and the financial sphere of a student is hard😂 thank you for your help!
Old 11th November 2020
Gear Maniac

Those are bargain basement speakers that apparently sound OK but it's anybody's guess if they get louder than what you currently have, the one thing that is near universal at the bottom end of the market is that the published specs are at least 50% BS. For live band sound you really need speakers that are much more capable than these.. especially if you plan to charge money for the service, customers want good sound but they want reliability even more and that is one thing you definitely do not get with entry level speakers.
Old 11th November 2020
Gear Head
I hear they use these at the four seasons...
Old 11th November 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedtims View Post
Hello guys,
I have a question. Recently i am using proel flash 12 active speakers but i would like to buy new onces and use these as monitors. Im doing sometimes sound for pop/punk bands indoor and outdoor. I have to say its strange but my proel tops where really okey but i need something more powerfull so i was thinking about alto ts312. What is your opinion about them? For how many people i can play inside if i buy also for example 2 alto ts318 subs? Can i handle 200 people? I love to doing sound its my big hobby! But im still a student and the financial sphere of a student is hard😂 thank you for your help!
Hi!

My band have two TS315 and two TS318 and I think they are pretty awesome considering the price. These speakers could easily handle 200-300 ppl depending on what style of music you're playing and how loud you want to play. But we are far from a super loud band and if there are 300 ppl at the venue, I'm guessing around 50-100 ppl are in front of the stage (at max) when we're playing.

We will however upgrade the tops next year, and downgrade the TS315 to sidefills/monitors because we are all playing direct (with e-drums and amp sims) so we want/need some stage volume

The Altos are good if you want to get into live music / DJ but don't want to spend a fortune to get started. Once you have done a couple of shows, you will find out if you need more SPL or not.

Those who are telling you to spend 2-3k or more for a set of speakers are only correct if you want to continue as a live sound provider / DJ for a long period of time. Then the Altos are probably not for you. But if you just want to get started and see if this is something for you, then it's a good purchase, because you might quit this business/hobby next year. Or If you have a band that has just started, your new band could easily break up within a year or so. Loosing 50% of 2k is better than loosing 50% of 5k.

And if you want to do weddings, live sound and stuff like that, having at least 2 pair of speakers is good because you will have backup, monitoring, ceremony/cocktail split so you will most likely find use of the Altos even if you want to upgrade within a year or so.

Btw I'm not a fanboy, any speaker at this price range will probably get you the same amount of value.

Good luck!
Old 13th November 2020
Lives for gear

Looks like the Proels use Celestion drivers.
From what I see you are taking a step down with that Alto model which is really the bottom of the barrel.
The idea for most is to take a step up.
Consider JBL EON or EV ZLX with your low budget.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear