The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low watt tube amp vs high watt tube amp attenuater
Old 10th November 2020
Here for the gear

Low watt tube amp vs high watt tube amp attenuater

Hey guys just posting this because I'm really at a crossroads here.

The Rundown:
I gig for a living, so need an amp that is sufficient for live. I typically play small clubs, a few open air outdoor gigs but mostly indoors/small at this point. I have been using a Fender Supersonic 60w (I've heard so many people have bad reviews or trash this amp, mine has been absolutely great for five years and no technical issues whatsoever, it's a champ but maybe I just got lucky) and I like the amp but 60 watts is frankly way too loud. I turn my amp up to maybe 2, probably even just 1.5 for most gigs and don't get to experience the real tube breakup and saturated tone.

I've been looking at a Fender 68' DRRI or a Princeton Reverb but was wondering if 15 watts would be loud enough. I like the 22 watts of the DRRI and feel like it could carry most of my gigs and for the ones it doesn't I could just mic it up.

My question would be is it worth buying a whole other amp and mic it up at the gigs I need more volume or would it be better to just buy an attenuator for an amp I'm already more of less happy with.

And following this question - Is there an amp over these that you'd recommend? Is there an attenuator or mod you'd recommend? Was also thinking of a Supersonic 22 but I've heard great things about DRRI and even better about Princeton Reverb (but also that it's more of a home amp)

Thanks for the tips guys!
Old 10th November 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
68 deluxe reverb is bang on. Great tone at low volume, loud enough to play any venue... by the time you get to 1000 cap plus there’ll be amp mics and monitors, so doubt you’d ever want another amp!!!
Old 11th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you want that slammed power amp tone at lower levels, an attenuator is the best way to get it. Using an amp with less power or tube adapters with lower power tubes only offers one other ideal volume.
Old 11th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All your options sound like they could work. Attenuators would be cheapest to try since you already dig your amp. I’m using a couple of Bugera’s in studio and I’m getting great results from my tube amps.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear