The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer PPA200 speaker buzz
Old 8th November 2020
Here for the gear

Behringer PPA200 speaker buzz

Hi,
I recently bought a small PPA200 system by Behringer to be able to play our acoustic set wherever we want where there's no PA.

2 vox (beta58), Acoustic guitar (soundhole pickup fishman Neo-D) and Yamaha PS20 keyboard.

Works beautifully except for a buzz in the speakers when playing thumb bass notes B and Bb in finger picking parts. Sounds like sth has the freedom to vibrate on thoses freqs inside the structure.

The 1st unit I got had that problem on 1 speaker only, returned it and the new one's got it on both...

I don't see this on forums except 1 comment on Thomann's product page. Am I the only one to play finger picking guitar on this device that's made for this to have this problem?

I'd like to know whether it's worth hoping for a batch defect and try again because it's the only PA system of that size and weight I've found so far, it's so easily transportable and except that problem it's perfectly doing the job for thoses showcases.

Or

Should I get an alternative solution
Thanks for you feedback!
Old 9th November 2020
Gear Maniac

You bought a $400.00 PA system, what did you expect.
Old 9th November 2020
Lives for gear

Pull that 63hz slider way down OR roll that Bass tone control on your bass guitar input WAY back.
You are experiencing cabinet resonation and possible over excursion of the loudspeaker in the cabinet as well.
OR do not run your bass guitar through that system as it is more designed for just vocals.
Old 9th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulusman View Post
You bought a $400.00 PA system, what did you expect.
Well sure, nothing extraordinary, just a bit of volume and diffusion in 11 kg all included with a correct sound like all happy customer report.

If we need to be one more person to carry a 30 kg PA, I'd reconsider doing these shows and focus on places that have their own
Old 9th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
Pull that 63hz slider way down OR roll that Bass tone control on your bass guitar input WAY back.
You are experiencing cabinet resonation and possible over excursion of the loudspeaker in the cabinet as well.
OR do not run your bass guitar through that system as it is more designed for just vocals.
Sure, there's no bass, only a 6-string acoustic guitar. I already significantly cut down bass on the gtr lane EQ and a lot in the master EQ (it's rather the 160 Hz band slider). More than that, I'd reach the point where all medium/treble acoustic guitar is quite awful.

I'll make some more tests to see if there's a usability window between speaker vibration vs crappy gtr sound

We're actually in a config for which it's designed and mentioned in the manual Since 1 of the 2 speakers of the 1st unit i've had did not vibrate at all on any low note I was wondering if it could only be a batch defect or something that would often happen with low-med/bass frequencies on these cheap speakers. (at this point with 1 good speaker out of 4, the odds are more in favor of replacing that with a bigger and more robust PA)
Old 10th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan173 View Post
Well sure, nothing extraordinary, just a bit of volume and diffusion in 11 kg all included with a correct sound like all happy customer report.

If we need to be one more person to carry a 30 kg PA, I'd reconsider doing these shows and focus on places that have their own
It has a 4inch woofer. Total POS you can't even find any SPL specs because they are probably really bad.
Old 10th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

The Yamaha Stagepas is the standard in this segment..

https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_stagepas_400bt.htm
Old 18th November 2020
Gear Maniac

Don't feel bad. One out of four still working is actually good results from behringer products.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear