The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you get more than 2 effects on a Yamaha TF3?
Old 7th November 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
How do you get more than 2 effects on a Yamaha TF3?

I have been trying to get to the other effects on a Yamaha TF3. I set up an insert in Aux 9 and sent snare to it. There is no effect.
This part of the mixer is very difficult to understand.
Old 7th November 2020
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Have you tried this? Yooutube search
Old 7th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
Have you tried this? Yooutube search
Thanks, but I have been through 20 videos. I have the effect on an aux as an insert, and tried routing the aux to the stereo bus. I still cannot hear the effect even though it is getting signal.
Old 8th November 2020
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I've never used the TF mixers, but regular FX send/return looks pretty easy for the first two FX engines. While you're not very clear in your question, it sounds like you want to use one of the other six FX engines as a send/return?

From the manual, I note this bit mentioned about inserting effects "Bypass is turned on by default; turn the bypass off." - makes me wonder if that's your problem?
Old 9th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
I've never used the TF mixers, but regular FX send/return looks pretty easy for the first two FX engines. While you're not very clear in your question, it sounds like you want to use one of the other six FX engines as a send/return?

From the manual, I note this bit mentioned about inserting effects "Bypass is turned on by default; turn the bypass off." - makes me wonder if that's your problem?
I checked that and it is not the problem. You have to insert an effect on an Aux but then it doesn't come out of the mains.
I tried to remap the aux output to the mains but still don't hear it. I am amazed that they made it this complicated. I have watched all their videos and they only show how to use the 2 main effects which is very easy anyway.
Old 9th November 2020
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
You still didn't say if you were looking for a send/return style effect or an insert style effect.

In which case, it's not unreasonable to assume the former.

Indeed, the TF series appear to make the first two FX engines really easy to use in a send/return mode. But, for reasons better known to themselves, make the other engines work differently.

It would appear reasonable to use a mixbus (why do Yamaha have to call them Auxes...), insert the FX engine on that, and then route its output back to the master LR bus. Sadly, the Windows editor doesn't appear to expose much of this in offline mode, and I've never touched a TF3, so I can't give you any precise details.

However, that doesn't stop you doing some basic tracing. How do you *know* the FX engine is receiving signal? You see activity in its meters? If so, your input to it appears correct, but you've presumably failed in the routing of the output. Are you sure the mixbus is routed to the LR master? Is the mixbus turned on (again, Yama has it's "on" button where the rest of the world uses "mute"). Is the Bus Master (maybe the fader for the "aux channel") turned up to unity gain.

All this reminds me how much I used to hate my old 01v96, and what a revelation my XR18 was at a fraction of the price!
Old 11th November 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
It turns out there is a little button on the screen that says โ€œstโ€. That sends the effect to the stereo bus.
I actually found this myself while talking to Yamaha support. They couldnโ€™t figure it out either!
There doesnโ€™t seem to be a way to send the effect to any monitors.
Old 12th November 2020
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Glad to hear you've moved forward.

So, you didn't have the mixbus/aux with the effects engine assigned to the LR bus after all. One of the challenge that comes to a lot of people moving from analog to digital is making assumption about how mixbusses work. In the old analog world you had aux sends which were typically routed to outputs (either for monitoring or external effects units) and groups which were typically assigned to the LR bus. In the digital world everything goes to mixbuses and it's down to the user to configure how they're to be used by routing their outputs appropriately - and some mixers make this easier than others.

As for sending FX to monitors, every digital desk can usually do this. Usually, it would be the case of adjusting the sends from the FX return channel to the monitor mixbuses.

Looking specifically at the TF, it appears that they by default have the FX engines inserted in pairs on aux 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16, 17/18, 19/20. Let's assume you're using a monitor on aux 1 and aux 13/14 has FX3 inserted. With the Output layer selected, press Sends On Fader for Aux 13/14 and raise the Aux 1 fader, which will add Aux 13/14's signal (with FX3) to Aux 1. Hopefully, this is obvious?

Caveat, I've never touched a TF mixer, but have come to this conclusion based on looking at the front panel and the TF Editor software. Please just spend time playing with the mixer. Try things, try them another way, make mistakes. This is the only way to get to grips with a digital mixer for the first time.
Old 12th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Glad to hear you've moved forward.

So, you didn't have the mixbus/aux with the effects engine assigned to the LR bus after all. One of the challenge that comes to a lot of people moving from analog to digital is making assumption about how mixbusses work. In the old analog world you had aux sends which were typically routed to outputs (either for monitoring or external effects units) and groups which were typically assigned to the LR bus. In the digital world everything goes to mixbuses and it's down to the user to configure how they're to be used by routing their outputs appropriately - and some mixers make this easier than others.

As for sending FX to monitors, every digital desk can usually do this. Usually, it would be the case of adjusting the sends from the FX return channel to the monitor mixbuses.

Looking specifically at the TF, it appears that they by default have the FX engines inserted in pairs on aux 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16, 17/18, 19/20. Let's assume you're using a monitor on aux 1 and aux 13/14 has FX3 inserted. With the Output layer selected, press Sends On Fader for Aux 13/14 and raise the Aux 1 fader, which will add Aux 13/14's signal (with FX3) to Aux 1. Hopefully, this is obvious?

Caveat, I've never touched a TF mixer, but have come to this conclusion based on looking at the front panel and the TF Editor software. Please just spend time playing with the mixer. Try things, try them another way, make mistakes. This is the only way to get to grips with a digital mixer for the first time.
Thanks, Iโ€™ll see if that works. The tech from Yamaha professional could not figure out any of this. I just discovered that Aux 9 goes to output 9 but there is a small button on the screen that will also copy it to main left and right which are called stereo out and go to outs 15 and 16!. It just says โ€œSTโ€. I could not find any mention of this in the manual.
Old 12th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2005 View Post
Thanks, Iโ€™ll see if that works. The tech from Yamaha professional could not figure out any of this. I just discovered that Aux 9 goes to output 9 but there is a small button on the screen that will also copy it to main left and right which are called stereo out and go to outs 15 and 16!. It just says โ€œSTโ€. I could not find any mention of this in the manual.
Yes, it looks like the default config of the TF series has a one-to-one mapping of auxes to outputs (or "omni output" in Yamaha's parallel world).

The ST piece would be obvious to most digital mixer users. It is mentioned on page 81 of the manual, but not described very well.

Once again, what's burned you is the flexibility of mixbuses in a digital mixer where they can do all sorts of things. Whilst being really useful, it takes a while to get your head round and get them doing what you want.

The TF series remains the apparent runt of the Yamaha litter, though. Trying to be easy to use, but hiding a lot of stuff more advanced users would want. And it's particularly pants the way they present FX1-2 differently from FX3-8.

Maybe the Yamaha person simply had little knowledge of this product. Maybe they struggled to understand what you were asking.

Anyway, forget the blame game, move forward and start mixing...
Old 12th November 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have always found Yamaha harder to follow than other brands. I have used their electronic drum modules and they are not as intutuive as Roland. I was using a QSC touchmix for 3 years before this and barely looked at the manual. It was really simple to follow. This new mixer was more ideal for me as far as features and I wanted all the faders accessable.
Old 15th November 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Yes, the manuals are sometimes tough to follow but they do post a lot of decent videos on their website and Youtube channel.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
wait I thought Yamaha TF only has 2 send effects processors. How and where did you find more than 2 ?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
wait I thought Yamaha TF only has 2 send effects processors. How and where did you find more than 2 ?
Have you even read the whole of this thread?

I've never touched a TF, but it didn't take long to look up how it works, which I've described above and even given a manual reference.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Aux 9 and up can have an effect inserted on them . The sends are the faders to Aux. You have to find a tiny button calledโ€stโ€ to hear the effect at all. You cannot send these effects to other monitors which is disappointing for me.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear