The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stick PA versus compact 8 inch speaker and sub?
Old 15th November 2020
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The biggest difference between typical point source PA speakers and typical column speakers is that point sources usually have narower horizontal dispersion and wider vertical dispersion than column speakers.
Old 16th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Yes I understand that column systems have wider dispersion but I'm trying to understand how they sound different from a frequency point of view. Looking for flat frequency coverage overall. Are column systems always hyped/tweaked in uppers, mids and lows or can you get a column system with relatively flat frequency response for more of a monitor sort of sound?
Old 16th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mins3008 View Post
Yes I understand that column systems have wider dispersion but I'm trying to understand how they sound different from a frequency point of view. Looking for flat frequency coverage overall. Are column systems always hyped/tweaked in uppers, mids and lows or can you get a column system with relatively flat frequency response for more of a monitor sort of sound?
Some are pretty flat. I haven't noticed much difference in frequency response of column speakers in comparison to point source speakers. Some column speakers produce significant throw at high frequencies where they act as a proper line array (cylindrical wavefront) but at (low-)mids they behave as a point source and in combination with very small drivers, this can result in a lack of punch at a distance.
OTOH I'd dare to say that most cheaper column speakers (with the exception of the models designed specifically for speech reinforcement) tend to sound a bit more HiFi with less resonances than similarly priced point source speakers.

Every system needs some EQ to get the optimal sound in a room.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear