The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tascam Model 24 phantom/condenser question
Old 14th October 2020
Here for the gear

Tascam Model 24 phantom/condenser question

This may seem like an odd question, but it's based on a negative experience with "cheaper" desks, and I want to ask before I buy.

Not doing anything live right now, but I work with an itinerant theater company and one of the key things we do is live audio (i.e. "radio") theater. Right now I use an AH ZED-22FX, which has more inputs than I need, but also has plenty of phantom to keep 8-12 condenser mics fully powered and happy from 60-80 feet away.

My old MIUSA Mackie most certainly did not. With four or more condensers powered up, I'd start to get strange sounds, feedback issues, etc. I have attributed this (without proof, just evidence and instinct) to the Mackie being a little underpowered. Either the 48V sagged or lacked enough current. The desk was fine with a bunch of dynamics or 1-2 condensers, but adding more condensers became problematic.

I'm considering the Tascam Model 24 as a possible upgrade from the AH. I like the idea that I could multitrack with it, which would allow us to record shows for remix/release later. Right now I can only pull two channels into my Sound Devices recorder. But I don't have much experience with Tascam mixers. I'd prefer to avoid "Me neither, but you should be fine," responses. Has anyone actually used one of these in a live setting with a bunch of condensors? If so, what was your experience?

Thank you,
-Pete
Old 14th October 2020
Lives for gear
This is probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but I'd highly recommend a digital board for what you do.
For just a bit more than the Tascam costs, you can get Behringer X32 Producer or if you add a bit more money, X32 Compact. A digital console would give you so much more control of sound and instant recall would make complex shows much easier to run.

If you can buy used, you can get a decent digital board for less than the Tascam costs.

Re. phantom: by standard, it's supplied to each XLR input via two 6.8 kOhm resistors - max. current is ~14 mA. While I've heard that there was some gear that supposedly had problems, I can't imagine that someone would design a board that couldn't supply enough current nowadays.
Old 15th October 2020
Here for the gear

I knew someone was going to suggest going digital. I've thought about it, but I'm old school and I like to just reach over and put my hand on a knob. Our needs aren't that complicated anyway.

Regarding the phantom, I agree...there shouldn't be an issue. There should NEVER be an issue with that. But a lot of stuff is targeted to the "prosumer" market these days, and a unit that might be fine with a couple of MXLs and a half dozen 57s, could go bonkers when I put 12 or more condensers on a stage!

-Pete
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear