The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
newbie DJ foray
Old 9th October 2020
Gear Head

newbie DJ foray

Long time pro musician. ( I'm old dude who recorded at the Record Plant, Jimi Hendrix studio in the village, Hit Factory, Regent Sound, etc )
All I have done is played tens of thousands of gigs

With older age and covid Im finding SOLO gigs are whats happening. me playing keys with MIDI tracks. Actually enjoying it!

Any who.. I need break music ( hardly DJ ing, sorry if I stepped on any toes) ... I use an iPad, into my PA.
Question is about the improving the source of the sound, not the PA yet.

I know on a lap top an audio interface is a great step up in quality for playing iTunes on the laptop.

I would appreciate a break down of the different toys I can purchase to improve the resulting sound

I REALIZE the PA is important. but to keep this in steps ... for two reasons,, one, the cost and two,, it is always a good idea to make incremental changes to the signal chain so your mind can correlate the sound change with the equipment change! I assume you are with that line of thinking

So first clueless question... is it possible to utilize a audio interface ( or some other device ) on my iPad Pro!!

Do you strongly recommend using the laptop!!

Im concerned about the danger of dropping MAC or wear and tear of carting it.

Give opinion of Laptop versus iPad versus another device, please

One thing always seems weird to me... that tiny mini plug going into either and iOS or OS X device... the contact surface with a mini plug... just that alone seems "weird" for a quality sound. Om a related note, I saw an adaptor that permits to both charge the iPad while also taking the audio.. I am really concerned about shall we call it,,, a weak link in the signal chain...

Now on to the iTunes option ... are there better options within the iOS or OS X world than iTunes ? Obviously there are.
I guess I need to weigh cost versus amount of audio gain,

I want what we all ( most of us ) wish, max audio gain for least money
Having said that, if a really significant audio improvement can happen with X, Y or Z add on or replacement , let me know even if it might be pricey.
Old 10th October 2020
Gear Maniac

The two things that have the biggest impact on sound quality are the sources and the speakers, everything else is several factors of 10 down the scale so ideally you want lossless recordings from high quality sources and a really good set of speakers.... the remainder of the signal chain can be just decent quality and it won't have a big impact positive or negative. That said the audio output from portable consumer devices can range from not bad to pretty awful, wherever possible a digital output to an external interface/soundcard will produce noticably better SQ. That external soundcard doesn't have to be super special either, this is one of those things where the law of diminishing returns starts way down at the $10 level, given how far we have come with the miniaturization of electronics there is little measurable difference between a silver dollar sized USB dongle off of Amazon and a several hundred dollar brand name pro style version, the big difference will be in the type of connectors used.
If your Apple device has a USB interface it can be connected to an external soundcard, but I can't tell you how much of a sonic improvement that would provide.
Old 10th October 2020
Gear Head

Thank you for that. Much appreciated

Speaker !!
I’m afraid to admit it
But I have mismatched gear

And the dirty B word Bose L1 model 2 with B2 sub
But augmented by 1st G K10
And a Genz Benz lightweight 12 mated to a 500 watt Mark bass head

It’s not bad The bass head helps out nicely

Questions
Are the $300 A&H mixers worth it
Are they a step up from the Bose mixer ?

Most important question is
Can the iPad Pro use an audio interface ?
And you are suggesting law of diminishing returns ( for once !) is in my side with the audio interface for iOS 14 !

More to come

Much appreciated
Thank you
Old 10th October 2020
Gear Maniac

How are you connecting the Apple to the ToneMatch now? If you have not tried via USB you should do that first.
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul o View Post
How are you connecting the Apple to the ToneMatch now? If you have not tried via USB you should do that first.
“USB”!! I am using iPad ! I’d be happy to try what you suggest but don’t understand how USB comes into the mix!
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

The Ipad Pro has a USB connectors doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycurtis View Post
I’d be happy to try what you suggest but don’t understand how USB comes into the mix!
USB is how an external soundcard/interface is connected
Old 11th October 2020
Gear Head

Cowboy,iPad Pro is great for getting Tunes into your system,I use mine all the time.What I use is a Radial J+4 It converts the low level output from the iPad’s 1/8” mini jack to a +4db output into your system.Only other thing needed is an 1/8th” to 1/8th” cable.Works & sounds great & couldn’t be easier to setup & use.
The output is balanced XLR jacks with an adjustable output gain knob on the front along with 1/4” & RCA Input jacks.Another of Radial engineering’s fine piece’s of gear !

Last edited by Ajavalon; 11th October 2020 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: Need to add to the post
Old 11th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajavalon View Post
Cowboy,iPad Pro is great for getting Tunes into your system,I use mine all the time.What I use is a Radial J+4 It converts the low level output from the iPad’s 1/8” mini jack to a +4db output into your system.Only other thing needed is an 1/8th” to 1/8th” cable.Works & sounds great & couldn’t be easier to setup & use.
The output is balanced XLR jacks with an adjustable output gain knob on the front along with 1/4” & RCA Input jacks.Another of Radial engineering’s fine piece’s of gear !
I can show this to the guys at Guitar Center and they will know !!

And USB cable with 1/8 on other end

This connects between iPad Pro - audio interface and Bose Mixer!

A little more detail please !

Music is my game not digital audio !

Thanks guys ( or gal !)
Old 11th October 2020
Lives for gear

USB C > 3.5mm stereo male or female. Whatever will work for you.

I have Youtube music and I can go into settings for it and select "High Quality" audio stream.
I would suggest you check the settings of whatever music service you are using and select high quality over normal or any other highly compressed stream.
Old 11th October 2020
Gear Maniac

The 1/8" output is analog and there is no benefit to adding anything in between that and the mixer. The whole point of using an external soundcard is it takes a digital data stream from the device bypassing it's D/A converter and analog headphone preamp which are often quite substandard.
Old 14th October 2020
Gear Head

A guitar center guy - who certainly has m#otive to sell - said there is no audio interface for iOS !!

Can we start from the beginning ?
I currently
Use
iPad / iTunes plugged into 4/5 of Tonematch Bose L1 model 2 with B2 sub

I’m told the SOURCE OF THE SOUND has to be improved - these are free downloads from YouTube into ITunes I’m using
On the iPad

I’m beginning to think I’ve hit a roadblock and can go no further in significantly improving audio quality; my reason for stating this thread ... thanks
Old 14th October 2020
Lives for gear

What @ cowboycurtis was the vibe like at the studios you recorded in and what music do you make?
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

how exactly do you go from your ipad to your bose pa? the weak link must either be the connection or then the pa itself...

...and yes, there are interfaces you could connect to the ipad: dunno which models but rme has some.
Old 15th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycurtis View Post
A guitar center guy - who certainly has m#otive to sell - said there is no audio interface for iOS !!
Gee.. I wonder how all the other DJs do it...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear