The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ADAT capable 8-ch 1RU preamps for streaming live performance and IEM rack?
Old 9th October 2020
Gear Head

ADAT capable 8-ch 1RU preamps for streaming live performance and IEM rack?

I currently own a Fireface UFX, and I'm looking to add 8 more mic channels via ADAT for live use with my touring band.

The setup I'm building will double as both an IEM rig, and the audio component of a livestream setup. I need it to be as portable as possible (which is challenging considering Ill also be adding 2-way splitters and a patchbay in the rig), so I'm interested primarily in 1RU, 8-ch preamps units.

All stage mics will plug into an ART S8 splitter, with one send going to FOH and the other going into the 8ch preamp (which is then fed to my UFX via ADAT) Because it'll be used mostly as a live streaming and IEM rig, I believe a basic, clean signal at 44.1 or 48KHz is probably sufficient, with little need to go absolute top-end.

Given this setup, does anybody have any experiences and/or feedback on what I should be considering? FYI, I've been weighing-up the following:
  • Behringer ADA8200 - But reportedly they're quite noisy, and I'd rather not have inputs on the front of the unit
  • Scarlett OctoPre - A strong contender, but again, not a fan of the two front units.
  • Presonus D8 - Price is right, but an older unit, and some say they aren't very robust - which would be a concern on the road.
  • Presonus DP88 - Another strong contender, and I like the fact that its digitally controlled.
  • Audient ASP800 - Lots of great reports, but at the top of what I'm prepared to spend right now.
  • RME Octamic II - My preference, but out of my budget right now, sadly.

Thanks in advance!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear