The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Danley SH50 VS SH60
Old 2nd October 2020
  #1
Here for the gear
 
hugo's Avatar
 

Danley SH50 VS SH60

Anyone have experience with both Danley SH50 VS SH60?

Would the still be considered the highest fidelity boxed i the SH range?

Using the awesomely easy to use Direct software, looks like the SH50 throws a little further and the SH60 does cover a little more horizontally although maybe not as much as I was expecting to see.

The frequency response of the SH50 looks a bit flatter using Direct, there is no response chart for the SH60 on the Danley website.

Would a little EQ have them sounding very much the same or are there inherent differences that would always be pickable side by side due to the difference in horn shape and mid drivers?

Using outdoors as the field of discernment, with a single box per side 60˚seems to be a wiser choice, however if ones system hopefully grows! would 120˚ a side affect required width of speaker placement effecting stereo coupling, perhaps that could help? So hard to know without the ability to test physically.

thanks for any input :-)
Old 3rd October 2020
  #2
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo View Post
Anyone have experience with both Danley SH50 VS SH60?

Would the still be considered the highest fidelity boxed i the SH range?

Using the awesomely easy to use Direct software, looks like the SH50 throws a little further and the SH60 does cover a little more horizontally although maybe not as much as I was expecting to see.

The frequency response of the SH50 looks a bit flatter using Direct, there is no response chart for the SH60 on the Danley website.

Would a little EQ have them sounding very much the same or are there inherent differences that would always be pickable side by side due to the difference in horn shape and mid drivers?

Using outdoors as the field of discernment, with a single box per side 60˚seems to be a wiser choice, however if ones system hopefully grows! would 120˚ a side affect required width of speaker placement effecting stereo coupling, perhaps that could help? So hard to know without the ability to test physically.

thanks for any input :-)
I was using and living with both for quite a while. I felt there is a very minimal difference. You can be happy with both.
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
  #3
Here for the gear
 
hugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferenc View Post
I was using and living with both for quite a while. I felt there is a very minimal difference. You can be happy with both.
Thanks for you input Ferenc, appreciated.

I’ve read a few of your posts on the Danley subject and share a love of the MC2 amps. Have an XTA 448 and plan to run a bridged MC2 S800 for each SH50/60.
Have been running my Turbosound TCS-35’s through S800 which were previously powered by a Lab Gruppen E 8:2 and the difference is clear. S800 is certainly something special.

Could that difference between SH50 and 60 be something you could quantify or is it really just peanuts?

Cheers

Hugo
Old 3rd October 2020
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo View Post
Anyone have experience with both Danley SH50 VS SH60?

Would the still be considered the highest fidelity boxed i the SH range?

Using the awesomely easy to use Direct software, looks like the SH50 throws a little further and the SH60 does cover a little more horizontally although maybe not as much as I was expecting to see.

The frequency response of the SH50 looks a bit flatter using Direct, there is no response chart for the SH60 on the Danley website.

Would a little EQ have them sounding very much the same or are there inherent differences that would always be pickable side by side due to the difference in horn shape and mid drivers?

Using outdoors as the field of discernment, with a single box per side 60˚seems to be a wiser choice, however if ones system hopefully grows! would 120˚ a side affect required width of speaker placement effecting stereo coupling, perhaps that could help? So hard to know without the ability to test physically.

thanks for any input :-)
unfortunately, danley's are not much popular over here (old world)...

nevertheless, i think i can make a somewhat educated guess on horizontal dispersion (having mixed a bit more than 5000 shows, many of them outdoors):

imo 60 degrees per side is mostly not enough unless you need to cover but a very narrow field; maybe l/c/r is an option?

also, arraying two boxes which do 60 degrees each will NOT give you 120 degrees: they may combine nicely (without too much phase cancellation) on axis but useful results will be within ca. 90 to 100 degress beyond which you'll experience a noticeable drop in the hf range.

i admit that i did not look up danely's ease-data (do they provide any?) though...
Old 3rd October 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
Pro Sound Web forums are regularly attended by folks who own or work for Danley and may better be able to answer your questions.
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo View Post
Thanks for you input Ferenc, appreciated.

I’ve read a few of your posts on the Danley subject and share a love of the MC2 amps. Have an XTA 448 and plan to run a bridged MC2 S800 for each SH50/60.
Have been running my Turbosound TCS-35’s through S800 which were previously powered by a Lab Gruppen E 8:2 and the difference is clear. S800 is certainly something special.

Could that difference between SH50 and 60 be something you could quantify or is it really just peanuts?

Cheers

Hugo
They are roughly the same. There was no real difference. You probably a bit more universal if you use the SH60, but only a little bit.
Old 10th October 2020
  #7
Here for the gear
 

The SH50, SH60 and SH69 are all the same group of speakers in that their components and specs are extremely similar. The biggest and arguably only difference is the pattern control and the physical results those changes impart. The tighter patterns throw a tad farther. The flexibility of the 69 is sweet as you can achieve 60 or 90 degrees horizontally which is often an advantage, especially outside.
They all sound totally awesome, made in USA, and extremely high end. It's also fun explaining to people how so much crystal clear fidelity comes out of such an impossibly small source. The synergy horn is a revolution.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump