The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A generator to power a single QSC K10
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Maniac

A generator to power a single QSC K10

Can someone recommend the most portable generator to power a single QSC K10?

I found a few on Amazon that have handles on top. Rated at 2000w. About $400. 47lbs.

Is this overkill?

I’m doing some one off outdoor shows around NYC.

I want to keep the weight down

I want to
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Maniac

May be overkill but how long you need it to run? You could power one of these speakers off a small (briefcase sized) battery power pack for hours potentially(program material dependent), for longer durations a gas genset may be required but even then a 1000w version would do it.
Old 1st October 2020
Gear Maniac

small generator

a Honda eu1000i would be ideal; 29lbs, quiet, etc.
Depending on whether (or WHEN) you expand your rig (add another K8, small sub, etc.) you may wish that you had gone bigger as far as gens go.

a Honda eu2000i is what I would be looking for if I were you; 45lbs, also quiet, and it puts out twice the power...

There are similar 1000/2000 watt units out there to choose from. Be sure to get an "inverter" gen if engine noise could be an issue.
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
a Honda eu1000i would be ideal; 29lbs, quiet, etc.
Depending on whether (or WHEN) you expand your rig (add another K8, small sub, etc.) you may wish that you had gone bigger as far as gens go.

a Honda eu2000i is what I would be looking for if I were you; 45lbs, also quiet, and it puts out twice the power...

There are similar 1000/2000 watt units out there to choose from. Be sure to get an "inverter" gen if engine noise could be an issue.
Thank you so much Mike. So helpful.
Old 1st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Do not buy them. Buy the genuine Honda. The Honda is acoustically quieter than just about any of the clones, and it is electrically MUCH quieter than any other inverter generator that QST magazine tested. I have been using the eu2000i at festivals for well over a decade now and I cannot say enough good things about them or their smaller buddy. They are quiet, not stinky, and will last a long time. If they break, you can get parts for them quickly.

An electrical supplier near me sells a generator that looks exactly like the Honda... same style red case, same model number, everything except actually being made by Honda. Avoid those things like the plague, they are not the real thing.
--scott
Old 2nd October 2020
Here for the gear

Power usage @ 1/8th power, stated that's standard music listening with occasional clipping. 1100 VAC, 2.1 A • 120 VAC, 1.9 A • 230 VAC, 1.1 A K.2

At 230/240 VAC that about 1/8 of the available power of a 2000w Generator so lots of headroom. Good to have headroom so your not pulling max power and running the generator hard and loud.

Always a pure sine wave generator for sound like the Honda mentioned above, Yamaha are pretty much equivalent.
Old 2nd October 2020
Gear Maniac

What are you trying to do exactly? Instead of buying a generator you might look at battery powered PA.
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo View Post
Power usage @ 1/8th power, stated that's standard music listening with occasional clipping. 1100 VAC, 2.1 A • 120 VAC, 1.9 A • 230 VAC, 1.1 A K.2

At 230/240 VAC that about 1/8 of the available power of a 2000w Generator so lots of headroom. Good to have headroom so your not pulling max power and running the generator hard and loud.

Always a pure sine wave generator for sound like the Honda mentioned above, Yamaha are pretty much equivalent.
What about the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT?

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com...rter-generator

Looks to be very similar to the Honda.

About half the price.

Is it really half as good? Westinghouse is a good brand.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulusman View Post
What are you trying to do exactly? Instead of buying a generator you might look at battery powered PA.
I’m doing some one-off outdoor shows around NYC.

Things are starting to open up here
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
What about the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT?

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com...rter-generator

Looks to be very similar to the Honda.

About half the price.

Is it really half as good? Westinghouse is a good brand.
Westinghouse is rebadging a Chinese-made inverter generator. I don't know how good it is, but I know if it breaks you'll have a hard time getting parts for it, just like all the other ones. But it does at least use an inverter. It is a lot physically larger for the same power though, also. I think long term you'll find the Honda saves you money, but if someone has the Westinghouse locally and will support it you could try it.
--scott
Old 3rd October 2020
Here for the gear
I have a K10 legacy model. I use ExpertPower Alpha 400
400 watts, runs all day plus I bought a solar panel to charge it up
I also have a QSC k8.2 which it has no problem running. $ 390 Amazon
Very happy with it!
Old 4th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio View Post
Westinghouse is rebadging a Chinese-made inverter generator. I don't know how good it is, but I know if it breaks you'll have a hard time getting parts for it, just like all the other ones. But it does at least use an inverter. It is a lot physically larger for the same power though, also. I think long term you'll find the Honda saves you money, but if someone has the Westinghouse locally and will support it you could try it.
--scott
I’ll pass on the Westinghouse. We’ve been driving Hondas at my house for a decade with good results. Honda is a great brand.
Old 7th October 2020
Gear Maniac

My partner and I decided to go with a Soundboks - a newest one.

Seems like quite a battery powered beast.

Honda is on my list for the future
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
My partner and I decided to go with a Soundbox - a newest one.

Seems like quite a battery powered beast.

Honda is on my list for the future
Those things might work but I bet they get expensive fast if you need much power for a long time. For a single speaker in a small location it might be the ticket, though.
--scott
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear