The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PA Speaker Suggestions?
Old 17th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
Got it, I do see some UPA 1P out there for 1,250 a pop. Top of my budget but if it’s worth the extra money over the others I mentioned I may pick them up.
based on my experience, i think so, meaning: they are worth the extra money; they won't drop much in value for years to come, should you ever want to sell them.

also worth noting that they can get arrayed (for a 2- or 3-wide horizontal cluster) for a wider dispersion without much issues.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
based on my experience, i think so, meaning: they are worth the extra money; they won't drop much in value for years to come, should you ever want to sell them.

also worth noting that they can get arrayed (for a 2- or 3-wide horizontal cluster) for a wider dispersion without much issues.
Does it matter what type of music is played through them? I had read some posts saying with music like jazz or using them for theater performance they are perfect for but for rock music you won’t get as much out of them and could go with something different. Is that true?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does it matter what type of music is played through them? I had read some posts saying with music like jazz or using them for theater performance they are perfect for but for rock music you won’t get as much out of them and could go with something different. Is that true?
absolutely not true! gear does not 'know' anything about the genre or gender etc. of the music or its operator...

...but maybe it helps to know that bands like metallica are using meyer speakers!
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Nut

Yea it seemed to be an odd statement. Anyway I pulled the trigger on two Meyers and got them to throw in the roadcase with it. Looking forward to hearing them!

Are you able to explain the flat concept, as in high end speakers are more flat and why that’s a good thing?
Lives for gear

that was fast - congratulations!

'flat' refers to the speaker's frequency response:

if you play some pink noise through it (careful: if you do so, play it at lowish levels!) and put a measurement rig in front of it, the result would be mostly flat, meaning that all frequencies are in balance, nothing sticking out - which enables you to hear things they way they were mixed without a need to tweak an equalizer (much).

___

for some reason (beyond the scope of this thread), meyer does not publish all specs/graphs so you can't look the speaker response/curve up but i can assure you that all of their speakers compare very well to literally any other manufacturer's gear!

___

i just re-installed a pair myself as part of a large system (of which i posted some details in another thread): the upa-1p's get used as short-throw 'rear fills' for the balcony and are positioned behind the main l/r main hangs, facing backwards/outwards (see pic).
Attached Thumbnails
PA Speaker Suggestions?-20200813_193624.jpg  
Gear Nut

Oh nice, maybe one day I’ll have that many speakers. Well I had recently got the behringer X32 rackmount but have passive speakers which can’t be used with it. So had been researching for a bit and at first was looking at new speakers which wouldn’t have been as good but then turned to used speakers in which there is more bang for my buck. Was sort of stuck on the JBL SRX for a while and almost bought those, but for a little more money can get pro grade speakers!
Gear Maniac

Congrats on the new speakers, you should have great live band system once you get subs

Quote:
Well I had recently got the behringer X32 rackmount but have passive speakers which can’t be used with it.
This comment raises an eyebrow however, what makes you think passive speakers can't be used with that mixer?
Old 18th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul o View Post
Congrats on the new speakers, you should have great live band system once you get subs

This comment raises an eyebrow however, what makes you think passive speakers can't be used with that mixer?
I was told passive speakers can’t be used with a passive mixer, is that not right?
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Maniac

It isn't, you just need a power amplifier between the mixer and speakers.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul o View Post
It isn't, you just need a power amplifier between the mixer and speakers.
Makes sense, my passives are small Carvins which were good enough just to get by at rehearsal but needed a major upgrade for gig playing.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Well if you need side fills or monitors for a gig some day they they could be utilized that way.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut

Yea I’ll keep them for now. I’ll have to start doing some research into subs to pair with the Meyers.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Head

Congratz Mike!!
How much did you pay for them?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
for some reason (beyond the scope of this thread), meyer does not publish all specs/graphs so you can't look the speaker response/curve up but i can assure you that all of their speakers compare very well to literally any other manufacturer's gear!
I'll point out that the plots most manufacturers give is on-axis, that is for someone standing right in front of the speaker. But in reality, a lot of people are off to the sides, and up on stage you're hearing the leakage coming from the back of the speaker. So what you really want is to know how flat it is in all directions, and Meyer will give you .gll-format files with modelling data that will show that.

I'm not necessarily a great Meyer fan but everything they sell is well-engineered and far better than anything you'll find in a music store. You'll notice the difference even from behind.
--scott
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallejulius View Post
Congratz Mike!!
How much did you pay for them?
Thanks! 1,250 a pop plus the roadshow case included. I looked at others that were a little less money but not in as good of condition physically and the price difference wasn’t that large.
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got it, I do see some UPA 1P out there for 1,250 a pop. Top of my budget but if it’s worth the extra money over the others I mentioned I may pick them up.
Hi Mike,

These are the best sounding speakers I have ever heard in any venue anywhere; however, they are heavy (77lbs each), they will not give you much on the low end (they aren't designed to), and they are not covered by any warranty.

If you want tops over subs for your final solution, I would save up and get what you need.

If you want an inexpensive solution that will sound good and get surprisingly low for a pair of tops, I would suggest you purchase a pair of used DXR15's. They will hold you over on the low end until you can dredge up the cash for what you really want. Also, you won't lose much since you will be buying these now when the new version has just been released .... so you should be able to get a pair for around $1200. When you get the 5-6K together you are going to need to get a pair of good 12's over a pair of 18's, you will be able to sell them for about what you bought them for.

I do really (really really) love the sound of the MEYER UPA 1P's. I just know that:

1) I wouldn't want to be putting 77 lb speakers up on a pole by myself ..... ever.
2) No pair of 12's is going to give you any bottom end in a rock band so the best sounding top "only" on the planet is not going to sound nearly as good as a "decent" 15" with some low end coming out of it.

Good luck!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
Hi Mike,

These are the best sounding speakers I have ever heard in any venue anywhere; however, they are heavy (77lbs each), they will not give you much on the low end (they aren't designed to), and they are not covered by any warranty.

If you want tops over subs for your final solution, I would save up and get what you need.

If you want an inexpensive solution that will sound good and get surprisingly low for a pair of tops, I would suggest you purchase a pair of used DXR15's. They will hold you over on the low end until you can dredge up the cash for what you really want. Also, you won't lose much since you will be buying these now when the new version has just been released .... so you should be able to get a pair for around $1200. When you get the 5-6K together you are going to need to get a pair of good 12's over a pair of 18's, you will be able to sell them for about what you bought them for.

I do really (really really) love the sound of the MEYER UPA 1P's. I just know that:

1) I wouldn't want to be putting 77 lb speakers up on a pole by myself ..... ever.
2) No pair of 12's is going to give you any bottom end in a rock band so the best sounding top "only" on the planet is not going to sound nearly as good as a "decent" 15" with some low end coming out of it.

Good luck!
What if I’m playing some really small venues with the Meyers 12s, still need subs?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What if I’m playing some really small venues with the Meyers 12s, still need subs?
What do you consider to be a small venue?

If the performers use acoustic instruments then it's only vocals that need some reinforcement and for that these would be fine.. great even. But if you need to amplify bass or drums then you will need a sub of some type, in a really small room it would not need to be a very big or high performance sub just something to fill in the lower octave and a bit that the upa's don't cover.
Old 19th September 2020
Gear Head

I have a question regarding the UPA-1P and UPA-2P. Is this the same speaker except for the coverage narrow?
Would the UPA-2P work as well for a bar/wedding coverband?
And what about the UPA-2P vs RCF TT22a (first gen). I can get these at about the same price
Thank you!
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Whilst I’m not saying they’re the best or perfect solution I have done a few outdoor gigs with a single pair of DXR15’s in a great sounding amphitheatre to audiences of around 330-350 people. I had a fully miked band (drums, bass, keys and 4 vocals) and was genuinely surprised at how good the DXR15’s sounded. Admittedly this was in a venue with fantastic acoustics with great sounding instruments and singers but the DXR15’s did a great job. Also I was using decent mics that were matched to the voices (Telefunken M80’s and Sennheiser E945’s) and had decent mics on the drums (MXL A55 kick, Sennheiser e604 rack toms, Audix D6 floor tom, Rode NT55 hi hat and Audio Technica AT4040 LDC’s for overheads).
I’ve tried and compared the Yamaha DZR12’s and personally preferred the DXR15’s but haven’t tried the DZR15’s which would be a more fair comparison.
For bigger gigs I have a pair of QSC KW181’s which work well with the DXR’s. I’ve used this setup for a small outdoor event in a car park which holds 500+ and this setup worked great.

I’ve not heard the JBL SRX or EV ETX but have been told they sound really good. However, they do cost considerably more. Also, the Yamaha subs are said to possibly be a step up from QSC subs and the should integrate with the Yamaha tops even better.

Another option that is worth considering on the secondhand market is the Nexo PS tops and LS subs. These are great sounding systems that go seriously loud for their sizes! These are more high end systems but go extremely cheap second hand. For example, I recently saw a PS8/LS400 + mk1 Nexo PS8 amp controller sell for £2000. This system sells for for over £8000 new with the mk2 Nexo amp controller! Similar bargains come up for the PS10’s and LS500 or LS600 subs. There’s also the bigger PS15’s and LS1200 subs if you feel you need more.

I’m currently considering switching to a Nexo system as I rarely use my KW181’s (though I used them two weeks ago for an outdoor event and also have another in 2 weeks).
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

p.s. i'm not into heavy or oversized gear to impress the ignorants but it definitely feels and sounds much better to drive a capable system at low capacity then to drive an inferior system to the edge - actually, a friend of mine calls my approach 'klein und gemein' :-)

however, all of these may be complete overkill if you wanna entertain a few folks with some r'n'r and a few beers... - out of the plastic boxes i got to use, i find the turbosound milan to perform quite okay.[/QUOTE]

^THIS^
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have never heard them by themselves.

What I would say is that I personally prefer subs even in small venues if the genre is rock.

The only time I run with just a pair of 12's is if I am doing an acoustic gig. If there is a kick drum and bass involved, then even for a small venue, I have subs. It just makes such a big difference in the sound.

I believe you said you already pulled the trigger on the UPA's so you will have to make the best of it until you can get some subs to go along with them.

I hope you are young and strong . 77 lbs is quite a bit of speaker to lift onto a pole!
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Nut

I thought the Yamahas I used to have were heavy and those were around 50 something so this will be even more fun lifting!
Actually the more challenging thing will be getting the boxed speakers in and out of my car, 225 pounds total with the case they come in.
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Maniac

Put the case aside and get a pair of fabric covers, speaker cases are a box truck operator type of thing that is overkill for a single operator. There are outfits that will make pull over covers for any speaker ever produced.
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

the DXR15 reccomendation seconded here...as a Y dealer they have been very reliable...priced well and Y makes covers.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
the DXR15 recommendation seconded here...as a Y dealer they have been very reliable...priced well and Y makes covers.
I've had my DXR15's for 8-9 years. One was dropped whilst carrying and on two other occasions an engineer accidently had them with the clip light permanently on for around a minute!! They are still working perfectly which is a testament to their reliability!
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Head

I have a question regarding the UPA-1P and UPA-2P. Is this the same speaker except for the coverage narrow?
Would the UPA-2P work as well for a bar/wedding coverband?
And what about the UPA-2P vs RCF TT22a (first gen). I can get these at about the same price
Thank you!
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

The UPA-1P is a 100 degree box horizontal
The UPA-2P is a 45 degree box horizontal

I would stick with the UPA-1P unless you play very small/reflective or reverberant spaces.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
The UPA-1P is a 100 degree box horizontal
The UPA-2P is a 45 degree box horizontal

I would stick with the UPA-1P unless you play very small/reflective or reverberant spaces.
Thank you!

Unfortunately, there are no UPA-1P's available in my area, the only pro boxes that I can find around here for a price that I can afford are the Meyer UPA-2P's or the RCF TT22a (first gen). Which pair would be the better option for a bar/wedding/cover band?
Lives for gear

Quote:
It has less to do with the room than what you run through the PA. If you have an electric bass with a bass amp on stage and a drum kit and the backline is filling the room and you only need to run vocals through the PA, then you certainly don't need subs. If you have a drummer with electronic drums and you have to run the drums through the PA, then you need subs even in a tiny room.
--scott
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear