The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Live Stream Audio Using Plugins
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Live Stream Audio Using Plugins

Hello,

I will be mixing a live stream and have a few questions for those who have done this before.

I believe I will be feed from a splitter snake however I am confident I will not have any effects to use on my mix. So at that point the only thing I can do is EQ and the mix will of course be very dry and lifeless.

I have an Apollo Quad and was wondering if I insert some bus sends with compression, verb and delay from the Apollo will it do what I want and most importantly will it create a misalignment of the audio to the video because of the slight latency that will be introduced?

Thanks for any help you may give and of course if you have more than I am asking please feel free to give that direction as well.

Cary
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear
It won’t be an issue because video latency is orders of magnitude larger than audio (samples vs frames).

In fact it’ll probably make it better.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
It won’t be an issue because video latency is orders of magnitude larger than audio (samples vs frames).

In fact it’ll probably make it better.
Thanks Brew...very helpful!
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Nut

This is a question that has so many variables involved.
How are you mixing the audio once it is split to you? What software are you using for the live streaming? And how are you getting audio and video into the computer?

Unless you are running the audio and video into the computer with the same device such as a video capture card with audio inputs you will have to align the audio and video signals. In whatever software you are using there will be delay controls to do so.

If you are using OBS you can insert plugins directly on the audio tracks coming in. In general I would not recommend using too much audio processing on the same machine handling as they streaming encoding takes up a lot of computer resources.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Sound View Post
This is a question that has so many variables involved.
How are you mixing the audio once it is split to you? What software are you using for the live streaming? And how are you getting audio and video into the computer?

Unless you are running the audio and video into the computer with the same device such as a video capture card with audio inputs you will have to align the audio and video signals. In whatever software you are using there will be delay controls to do so.

If you are using OBS you can insert plugins directly on the audio tracks coming in. In general I would not recommend using too much audio processing on the same machine handling as they streaming encoding takes up a lot of computer resources.
Thanks for your input! The thought was to take the splitter feed into a console and then take the Apollo in and out of the insert sends and returns. Then feed the mix out to whatever they will be using to send the live feed out. If I use UA plugs that are geared for their 'Unison' low latency maybe that will also help in keeping the audio aligned with the video?

Otherwise my standard DAW is Digital Perform (I keep telling myself that I need to migrate to a better DAW). I also have StudioOne4 but haven't used it much and don't know my way around it very well.

I don't have a video capture card and I've never used the delay controls for this type of application in DP either.

Sadly I'm just searching for solutions to pull this off as best I can.

If you can guide me any further with this information please don't hesitate!

Thanks!!
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Nut

So just to be clear are you just mixing the audio with the apollo and computer for the live stream and then sending it to someone else to do the actual live streaming?

Either using the UA Console app for mixing should work just fine. I would just stick to that and then yeah you will have e lower latency and less to go wrong in theory.

In terms of syncing audio and video this should be done within what ever program you are using to stream, OBS, livestream studio, wirecast etc. I use this video to check sync every live stream or broadcast I do. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucZl6vQ_8Uo

Also as for digital performer if it is working for you, you know it well and you don't need to open other DAW sessions from clients why change? I have never used it but most DAWs are really on the same playing field for most things.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
So just to be clear are you just mixing the audio with the apollo and computer for the live stream and then sending it to someone else to do the actual live streaming?

Either using the UA Console app for mixing should work just fine. I would just stick to that and then yeah you will have e lower latency and less to go wrong in theory.

In terms of syncing audio and video this should be done within what ever program you are using to stream, OBS, livestream studio, wirecast etc. I use this video to check sync every live stream or broadcast I do. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucZl6vQ_8Uo

Also as for digital performer if it is working for you, you know it well and you don't need to open other DAW sessions from clients why change? I have never used it but most DAWs are really on the same playing field for most things.
Yeah sorry I wasn't more clear. We're going to use a splitter snake which will send the feed from stage to the FOH board and the other to me. The FOH will mix for the venue and I'll be mixing for the live stream. I was then thinking of using inserts on a couple of busses for compression, verb and delay...maybe 3 to 4 plugs to keep latency down as much as possible. Then obviously taking the outs back to the returns and send the master out to the stream...or to video to stream.

Does that help?
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Nut

Yeah that helps a lot. I wouldn't worry too much about video sync and latency on your end. Really that is the job of whoever's actually running the streaming software cause that is where audio and video get combined.
I think your idea of using UAD console is a good one I would just run with that and then your only real limitations are going to be those of console and how much dsp you have in the Apollo. Also the latency introduced using the Apollo and Console even with a lot of plugins is very low as it is all happening within the Apollo and not the computer.

Goodluck and have fun!
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah that helps a lot. I wouldn't worry too much about video sync and latency on your end. Really that is the job of whoever's actually running the streaming software cause that is where audio and video get combined.
I think your idea of using UAD console is a good one I would just run with that and then your only real limitations are going to be those of console and how much dsp you have in the Apollo. Also the latency introduced using the Apollo and Console even with a lot of plugins is very low as it is all happening within the Apollo and not the computer.

Goodluck and have fun!

Excellent info - thanks so much ND for your help!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear