The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Dante system, huge logical problem
Old 29th May 2020
Here for the gear

New Dante system, huge logical problem

Hello!

So I have a new project with a large group (40 people) that need monitoring.
each performer has Dante connected monitoring device that is capable of receiving 2 stereo channels.
One channel is performers sound with EQ + Dynamics + Reverb, and the other channel is general mix of the group.

I have A&H dLive s7000 + CDM64 + Dante card 128/128 card.
CDM64 has 16 stereo FX buses.

HOW do I give each performer its own reverb???

I can use ALL of the FX buses as dual mono, and have only 32 performers with reverb (leaving me with no other FX left).

Is there a way to ad low latency effects to the system? Please help me, i'm going nuts for months now.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

may i ask what kinda band/group/ensemble/orchestra you're mixing? do they really all need completely independent/individual aux AND efx mixes or can they share some? how about using direct outputs and using the auxes for efx?

although i get to mix very large ensembles quite regularly, i've never came across the need for this many efx devices: ime using efx on subgroups/sections can considerably cut down the amount of efx devices.

can't provide much help on the a&h desk as i'm mostly using a much different (and larger) desk, sorry...

with my own system (studer vista), i could provide this many auxes and individual efx relatively easily (by adding uad realtime racks).

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 4 weeks ago at 10:15 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear
Unless your group consists of 40 extremely picky divas, the reverbs from the main mix should satisfy most performers. If some of them really need a different ammount of reverb, asign them a dedicated FX engine. If they are really picky, it's quite likely that they'll want a dedicated monitor mix anyway.

If you really want to add the enormous amount of FX processors it's possible (e.g. via SoundGrid), although from my experience likely unnecessary.
What kind of "Dante monitoring devices" are you using?
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Sounds like a gear driven "CLUSTER Fxxx" to me!
Hugh
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear
If your reverbs have wet/dry and you can insert them, just insert them directly on the vocal channels (or auxes) instead of doing a traditional effects loop (aux > effect > channel). Inserting reverb in the channel can be a lot tidier with lots of vocalists.

And I agree as others have noted it seems unlikely every single person needs a dedicated reverb. Perhaps people that are singing together can be combined.
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

why in the world are you using Dante when the A&H has arguably the best integrated hardwired system...the ME-1...and the best ipad software. One of our clients..DM64/7000..is easily making 12 stereo mixes as well as 12 ME-1s. This personal monitoring capability is the reason this church bought A&H..at first the DM lived backstage with NO worksurface...only monitor duties..but as their XL8 became a service issue with outdated parts and support..they have added 2x 7K..and another DM64. This fully networked system hasnt missed a beat. Awaiting the A&H Waves card for Soundgrid upgrade this month.
This system continues to impress me with how stable and thoroughly happy the client is.

Last edited by MIKEHARRIS; 31st May 2020 at 06:43 AM..
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

this facility continues to impress me...not for the tech we supply...but the fact they have 16 musicians and a dozen singers that are mixing engineers..all 40x2 in ears
Multitasking to the max
Old 1st June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
why in the world are you using Dante when the A&H has arguably the best integrated hardwired system...the ME-1...and the best ipad software.
Ultimately it seems the ME-1 may have been a better choice, but the ME-1 does not solve the issue the OP describes of needing 40 discrete reverbs.

Also OP, you do not need low latency when it comes to reverb.

You could simply build 40 mono reverbs in any DAW and patch them via Dante Virtual Soundcard.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

the solution is somwhere between what the OP 'thinks' he needs...the technology available...and the budget.
Correct, the term 'low latency" reverb is like 'dry' water.
depending on th device at receiving end might there be a mixer w verb ?

Last edited by MIKEHARRIS; 2nd June 2020 at 08:04 AM..
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Head

I agree with many of the responses here in terms of 40 separate reverb sends being impractical.

However, if you really want to make it happen you could do it this way.

Setup a computer running your favorite DAW. Then, create a track for each instrument/vocal you want to have an independent reverb send for and set it to the proper input channel (assuming through Dante).

Then, create another track for each instrument that will hold the reverb effect plug-in.

Now, send each track to it's respective reverb track at unity. Set the output of each reverb track to the proper location (through Dante to the personal monitor system you're using).

This won't allow the player to control the send to the reverb, but should allow them to control the volume of the return to their mix.

Since it's just reverb, latency shouldn't be an issue (within reason).

Again, sort of an impractical desire, but it can be done if you want it to.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear