The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommendations for general purpose amp
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Recommendations for general purpose amp

I’m going to be downsizing (living the full-time RV lifestyle) so I’m going to have to get rid of quite a bit of gear. I have (and will be keeping) a Behringer XR18 digital mixer (I LOVE that thing!) which gives me tons of mixing and signal processing options. At various times, I’ll be connecting an electric bass, electric guitar (hollow body Gretsch clone), keyboard, and vocal and instrument mics to the mixer. I’m hoping to replace my bass amp, guitar amp, and PA amp/speakers with a single, general purpose amp (hopefully on the smallish side — I know that’s asking for a lot, especially when it comes to the bass) that has a good, overall sound for all my instruments and (especially) vocals. My emphasis, here, is definitely on sound quality not quantity. I won’t be playing any large venues (more like street corners and coffeehouses). Also, I’m fine with older/used gear (in fact, I tend to prefer it) so please don’t limit your recommendations to currently manufactured gear. Thanks for your time and consideration.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

I'm going to suggest something like a EV Evolve50, seems almost perfect for what you describe.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

The Yamaha DZR10 might be worth a trial; from what I've read, the DZR series have a surprising amount of bass extension, though perhaps not at extreme volume levels. I don't have any first-hand experience with them myself.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

What about a column style top with subwoofer? Something like a K-Array KB1/KB1R. I can't help you with good value makes/models but the size and frequency range seem to be what you're after. Expect the crossover between sub and top to be rather high, probably 200-250Hz or so. If you can live with that they're the only way to reach reasonably deep and get decent dispersion of the highs in something that packs small. Folks on the street aren't going to care that's for sure. They're also generally made so you can place them (somewhat) behind you as a monitor without (so much) risk of feedback.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Go with a Class D amplifier with DSP.
Stay away from old amps.
Capacitors have a shelf life and basically 20 years and its over
unless you re -cap it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search