The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rehearsal recording
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Rehearsal recording

Hello!
I'm going to build a recording/rehearsal studio, I have experience in recording and I have an audio interface, but I still don't have a PA system yet.
I know I need to buy a mixer and speakers for rehearsals.
What I'm trying to understand is if I want to record a rehearsal how do I need to connect (for example) the bass drum mic, which I need to connect to my interface but aslo to the mixer so I could hear it in the room speakers?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

there are different ways to do things:

you could either use a mic splitter (so one signal goes into your mixer and the other to your interface) - gives you all the flexibility but is highly expensive...

...so one mostly uses the channel direct outputs for recording: when using a digital desk, all you need to have is an interface with enough channels in the same digital format - with aoip formats (ethersound, dante, aes50 etc.) you don't even need an interface.

another solution is to get a digital desk with a built-in harddisk recorder.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Many digital mixers, including a fair few not overly expensive models, can simultaneously act as multitrack audio interface for a computer and a mixer, allowing you to capture each channel in a DAW. Even more, and many analog mixers as well, can record a stereo mix to USB or similar, but it's not particularly easy to get a decent recording mix and a decent house/rehearsal mix and play or sing all at the same time. Some are also limited in what you can record--possibly just the main mix.

One easy and inexpensive way is to put a little standalone digital recorder down somewhere convenient, not directly connecting to the mixer or monitor system or microphones. Depending on what your purpose is in recording, it could be completely sufficient. If you're interested in preserving any great new ideas you come up with, or analyzing how your playing was and what needs to change, it's great. If you're looking to get a multitrack recording to practice mixing with or to process into some sort of a polished track, it won't be enough.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yea, capturing each channel in my daw is a must.
So what I need is a digital mixer ? does that also mean that my audio interface is unnecessary ? it is a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.
Thanks for the replies !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A digital mixer is one way, and would take the place of your interface in this particular situation.

An analog (or I suppose digital) mixer with direct outs for each channel would also work, connecting the direct outs to the interface you have. A multichannel splitter as deedeeyeah mentioned is a third.

Since you don't have the mixer, I would seriously consider a digital mixer, especially if you foresee the time when you may also wish to use it for live performance; they're a tremendous value these days in terms of capability for what you spend.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
Yea, capturing each channel in my daw is a must.
So what I need is a digital mixer ? does that also mean that my audio interface is unnecessary ? it is a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.
Thanks for the replies !
Look at touch screens, use you DAW and keep the interface.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Behringer XR18 is well suited for this. 18x18 USB interface, ample mixing facilities for rehearsal and recording monitoring. Pair it with an ART HeadAmp6 and some powered speakers and you're done. If 18 inputs is enough the XR18 is the unit in that price range people will most likely already know to some degree.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I have a new idea, what if i connect the mics to my audio interface, then I send each signal through a different output on my interface separately to a mixer.
would this work ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have a new idea, what if i connect the mics to my audio interface, then I send each signal through a different output on my interface separately to a mixer.
would this work ?
Not such a good idea because there is some delay through the interface... not enough, but someone will notice it and they won't like it. Easier to use the mixer direct outputs, or a digital mixer.
--scott
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

In this specific interface (focusrite Scarlett) there is an option to send a signal out ,before it even reaches the converters with zero latency (it is called direct monitoring)
so I don't think it will be an issue.
other than that, could be any other problems ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
In this specific interface (focusrite Scarlett) there is an option to send a signal out ,before it even reaches the converters with zero latency (it is called direct monitoring)
so I don't think it will be an issue.
other than that, could be any other problems ?
None, except having an additional set of trims for the operator to worry about.
--scott
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Have a look at the Tascam Model series and the Zoom-Livetrak series. Both act as a live PA-mixer, do sd-card multitracking and DAW-multitracking. An outstanding feature of the Zoom livetrak-series are 5 headphone outputs with individual mixes. The Tascam 16 and 24 are analog mixers, while the Tascam 12 and all of the livetrak-mixers from Zoom are digital.

Do you want to make professionell recordings and offer a professionell rehearsal place for paying clients - or is it more like a rehearsal place for your band?
Do you want to spend 10.000,- - 50.000,-? Or more like 1.000,- ???
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio View Post
Not such a good idea because there is some delay through the interface... not enough, but someone will notice it and they won't like it. Easier to use the mixer direct outputs, or a digital mixer.
--scott
This would work if the interface in question has built in routing options. I don't know about the particular Focusrite in question but a fair number of audio interfaces will let you patch inputs directly to outputs. In these cases signal being sent to the outputs is not running through the computer and DAW so the only latency you are dealing with is the converters and routing which would be around the same as using a digital mixer.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Have a look at the Tascam Model series and the Zoom-Livetrak series. Both act as a live PA-mixer, do sd-card multitracking and DAW-multitracking. An outstanding feature of the Zoom livetrak-series are 5 headphone outputs with individual mixes. The Tascam 16 and 24 are analog mixers, while the Tascam 12 and all of the livetrak-mixers from Zoom are digital.

Do you want to make professionell recordings and offer a professionell rehearsal place for paying clients - or is it more like a rehearsal place for your band?
Do you want to spend 10.000,- - 50.000,-? Or more like 1.000,- ???
I want it to be professional, but for small groups, I don't think I will need more than 16 channels, and even 16 is more than what I will probably need.

I can spend more than a 1000 but less than a 10000, I definitely don't want to exaggerate, and unnecessarily spend money on a brand name, or on features that I won't really need
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Do you really need to mirror all DAW inputs to the PA? I record my bands at our rehearsal space but we only put vocals in the PA. I split out the vocals via aux sends with a DI box in reverse to send mic input level to the pre amps. Not ideal, but good enough for catching ideas and we just overdub the vocals for a better cleaner take if we really need/want it. One of my bands is really loud and our drummer plays loud too. We don't need our drums or GTR amps or my 200 watt Hiwatt bass amp clone also going thru the PA. But that's us. Maybe you guys aren't so loud so running everything thru the PA is needed.
If that is the case and you have an analog board with inserts HOSA makes an insert cheat cable that can use the insert as a direct out and still send signal to the board as normal.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSDOC10
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Do you really need to mirror all DAW inputs to the PA? I record my bands at our rehearsal space but we only put vocals in the PA. I split out the vocals via aux sends with a DI box in reverse to send mic input level to the pre amps. Not ideal, but good enough for catching ideas and we just overdub the vocals for a better cleaner take if we really need/want it. One of my bands is really loud and our drummer plays loud too. We don't need our drums or GTR amps or my 200 watt Hiwatt bass amp clone also going thru the PA. But that's us. Maybe you guys aren't so loud so running everything thru the PA is needed.
If that is the case and you have an analog board with inserts HOSA makes an insert cheat cable that can use the insert as a direct out and still send signal to the board as normal.

oh yea, I didn't mean all the channels, probably only vocals, kick and keyboards...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh yea, I didn't mean all the channels, probably only vocals, kick and keyboards...
finding a 8 channel mixer with analog inserts and powered PA monitors would probably be the way to go. Also probably the least expensive solution. You could use the insert cheat cables on those tracks. Mic everything else into your interface.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
HOSA makes an insert cheat cable that can use the insert as a direct out and still send signal to the board as normal.

wow that's such a great idea
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
finding a 8 channel mixer with analog inserts and powered PA monitors would probably be the way to go. Also probably the least expensive solution. You could use the insert cheat cables on those tracks. Mic everything else into your interface.
Thank you so much !
Thanks everyone !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search