The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amplifying E-Drums & Keys
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Amplifying E-Drums & Keys

I’m looking to enhance the sound of my keyboards and e-drums and wondering what I should be shopping for. Currently I’m playing both instruments out of a drum amp (Simmons DA200S). I’ve heard powered speakers will sound a lot better. I only need it for living room jam volumes and don’t care about price as long as the sound quality is good. I really have no idea how e-drums would sound through powered speakers. Pretty sure I’d need to get a sub in that case and also a mixer. Any idea what the best way to do this is?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
What is it about the Simmons DA200S that doesn't sound right to you?
On paper it looks fine but sound quality can be quite subjective.
You could look at Keyboard amplifiers and test to see if the balance between drum sound and keyboard sound works better for you.
If you wanted to go the route of a PA speaker then yes you need a mixer to input into and then send the signal to a powered speaker with at least a 12" woofer, a 15" woofer is even better for drums.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
What is it about the Simmons DA200S that doesn't sound right to you?
On paper it looks fine but sound quality can be quite subjective.
You could look at Keyboard amplifiers and test to see if the balance between drum sound and keyboard sound works better for you.
If you wanted to go the route of a PA speaker then yes you need a mixer to input into and then send the signal to a powered speaker with at least a 12" woofer, a 15" woofer is even better for drums.
It just seems to make the pianos sound shrill and the deeper organ patches get muddy.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patoloco714 View Post
It just seems to make the pianos sound shrill and the deeper organ patches get muddy.
OK, but compared to what? Headphones?

Your going to have to try a few things out in a music store. You could spend a lot of money sight unseen and not get a better result.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
OK, but compared to what? Headphones?

Your going to have to try a few things out in a music store. You could spend a lot of money sight unseen and not get a better result.
That’s a really good point. Really wish I could shop in a store these days.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patoloco714 View Post
That’s a really good point. Really wish I could shop in a store these days.
Well I suppose that drum monitors were never built and designed to amplify mid range tones or work well for keyboards so the fact that they don't sound great is probably not a surprise.

If the drums sound good to you through the drum monitor then you could just buy yourself a keyboard amplifier. If you buy yourself a keyboard amplifier with at least a 12" speaker and even maybe a 15" speaker then it could also double for drums but then again without testing it I don't know what compromises there will be there instead.

I guess that I still have a preference for trying before I buy and I do still purchase from a bricks and mortar store.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Well I suppose that drum monitors were never built and designed to amplify mid range tones or work well for keyboards so the fact that they don't sound great is probably not a surprise.

If the drums sound good to you through the drum monitor then you could just buy yourself a keyboard amplifier. If you buy yourself a keyboard amplifier with at least a 12" speaker and even maybe a 15" speaker then it could also double for drums but then again without testing it I don't know what compromises there will be there instead.

I guess that I still have a preference for trying before I buy and I do still purchase from a bricks and mortar store.
Exactly. I feel ya. I think I’ll just have to wait for California to open up.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search