The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using Logic Pro X for Live Backing Tracks
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Using Logic Pro X for Live Backing Tracks

Hi everyone,

I've been playing live with my Originals band for a couple of years now and we've got quite a Synthy sound to us so we run backing tracks live - as well as, live guitar, bass, drums, and keys.

The backing track stuff was super new for us when we started and I ended up just settling on Logic Sessions with 8 tracks (Drums, Bass, Risers, Percussion, Backings etc). I've set all our live songs up in one big Logic timeline and just use markers and arraignment to move songs on the fly for setlists or change of mood.

I tried messing around with Mainstage and triggering on SPDs and such, but I got super frustrated with a bunch of things. This included not having the ability to scrub through tracks - so in rehearsals if we want to nail one part, we couldnt just jump to that section. Another was the ability to control individual tracks for levelling and mix purposes. I've also got a little Midi Mixer via USB to move any volume things on the fly on stage (whilst im playing guitar).

The reason I'm posting here is because it just feels very counter intuitive to run a massive Logic session with 20+ tracks and arranging them for different set lists. Are there other programs out there that can offer me the same versatility without clogging up a session? Is there a better way to run my sessions in Logic so I can chop and change songs? I'd love to know what solutions there might be out there, as I'm pretty amateur with this backing track stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by milostnik View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been playing live with my Originals band for a couple of years now and we've got quite a Synthy sound to us so we run backing tracks live - as well as, live guitar, bass, drums, and keys.

The backing track stuff was super new for us when we started and I ended up just settling on Logic Sessions with 8 tracks (Drums, Bass, Risers, Percussion, Backings etc). I've set all our live songs up in one big Logic timeline and just use markers and arraignment to move songs on the fly for setlists or change of mood.

I tried messing around with Mainstage and triggering on SPDs and such, but I got super frustrated with a bunch of things. This included not having the ability to scrub through tracks - so in rehearsals if we want to nail one part, we couldnt just jump to that section. Another was the ability to control individual tracks for levelling and mix purposes. I've also got a little Midi Mixer via USB to move any volume things on the fly on stage (whilst im playing guitar).

The reason I'm posting here is because it just feels very counter intuitive to run a massive Logic session with 20+ tracks and arranging them for different set lists. Are there other programs out there that can offer me the same versatility without clogging up a session? Is there a better way to run my sessions in Logic so I can chop and change songs? I'd love to know what solutions there might be out there, as I'm pretty amateur with this backing track stuff.
I use Logic for my live backing tracks, placing the tracks for each song in a track stack (folder), which I then collapse, so you only see the track stack header. These are arranged sequentially along the time-line, but because they are on different tracks, I can re-arrange the set list by simply dragging the stacks around till you get them in the order you want.

I then set the play button in the transport to 'play from selected section'. I then highlight the header of the first song stack that I want to perform and hit play (the playhead automatically jumps to the right place). I've placed a 'stop playback' midi command at the end of each song, which means does exactly what it says, so that when I'm ready to play the next song, I simply hit the down arrow, highlighting the next stack header and hit play again.

My arrange window looks like this (below). Happy to explain further, if you require - it works really well for me. I also have midi cc and pc programmed in for each song, included in each stack, to automate my fx and amp switching and light show.
Attached Thumbnails
Using Logic Pro X for Live Backing Tracks-logic-backing-tracks-screenshot.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
js1
Lives for gear

Have you looked at Mainstage? Think it's exactly what you're looking for. Here's a link showing the integration between it and Logic X.

https://macprovideo.com/article/audi...x-to-mainstage
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search