The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Mixer EV PSX1000. Need help with speakers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

New Mixer EV PSX1000. Need help with speakers

Hello,
I'm seeking help matching the mixer I just bought with some passive speakers.

I bought an EV PSX 1000 for an absolute steal. In a bit of a shameful bit of ignorance on my part, I didn't realize that my powered speaker wouldn't work with the mixer. Luckily, a pal told me that before I ruined anything. So, now I am on the prowl for a match.
I appreciate the help. Specific details below:

Budget: < $350.00 per speaker.
Mixer Details: EV PSX-1000 powered mixer. Made in Germany. 14 inputs. 2 delay lines. @ power amp. 500watt each

Use: Small venues. Vocally and instrumentally driven live music. I would also like the ability to build onto this core system as I grow my events.

I'm a little confused on the speakers that I can use with this mixer. I have seen a speaker that had 2000 watt (Program) listed on it. Would the mixer I have be unable to power that speaker, or does 2000 (Program) just mean that's the max that the speakers can handle?

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

You can use your powered speakers you just can't plug them into the speaker outputs on the mixer you MUST connect them to the line level main outs.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Paul!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Your mixer has powered outputs which can drive a pair of 8 ohm speakers with 250W each of power OR a pair of 4 ohm speakers to 500W each (which would be noticeably louder).

I would say to look into what used passive speakers you can find that are 4 Ohm. Of course, you could buy four 8 ohm speakers and run 2 in parallel on each side (making them 4 ohm to the mixer) ... but that would likely cost more and be a burden to move.

Passive speakers can be found pretty cheep. I sold a pair of old Klipsch KP302's (15" 3-way) for $150.00 just to get them out of my way. There was nothing wrong with these speakers .... other than being passive, big, and 83lbs each .
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the response OneEng. Could I ask why you prefer powered speakers? I always end up with wires and power cables all over the place...I have a very small window to set up before the show.. Its a charity show though, so I don't complain..I just get it done.. Passive speakers seem to be a nice solution for cleaning my set up a bit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There is a MONO output just above the headphone jack.
Use that out into your powered speaker.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust2Life View Post
Thanks for the response OneEng. Could I ask why you prefer powered speakers? I always end up with wires and power cables all over the place...I have a very small window to set up before the show.. Its a charity show though, so I don't complain..I just get it done.. Passive speakers seem to be a nice solution for cleaning my set up a bit.
Powered speakers tend to "just work". There is no need to know what amp they are being driven with and if the amp is too powerful and will blow the speaker, or to put a limiter in the path to keep an unwanted and unexpected "pop" from blowing the speakers. Furthermore, they tend to "just sound good". The manufacturer builds in the eq so that the speakers sound good right out of the box without having to do any external eq to get them sounding good. Powered speakers also eliminate the need for an external amplifier.

Since your mixer contains an amplifier, the least expensive way for you to get noise out of your system is to buy a pair of passive speakers. This makes for a pretty simple setup of just a mixer, 2 speaker cables, and 2 speakers. Pretty hard to mess that up .

If you were to buy powered speakers, they would very likely cost more. It would also allow you to accidentally plug your mixer's powered output into your new powered speakers and blow them completely to pieces.

If you were starting from scratch, I would have recommended a little mixer without a power amp built in, and an inexpensive set of powered speakers .... but you already have the mixer.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search