The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daisy Chaining Speakers
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Daisy Chaining Speakers

I have a digital mixer with a power amp that is powering passive main speakers. I want to add active (powered) subwoofers. Can I go directly out of my power amp to the subs and then chain to the passive main speakers?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It depends on the subwoofers, but most likely not. Some home subwoofers do have speaker level connections, but not generally ones for PA use. You can't connect the speaker output of the amplifier to the line-level input of the subwoofer (and have things work as expected), nor drive passive speakers with the line-level main speaker output from a subwoofer.

What you can do is send the input signal to the amplifier to the subwoofer(s), and then daisy-chain the amplifier off of them, using the crossover that is built into the subwoofers (assuming it has one available). Alternately, you could install a crossover unit next to the amplifier to generate the signal for the subwoofer, or dedicate an aux send from your mixer to it, or use whatever other means your mixer may provide. (It may well have a crossover available as a built-in effect of some sort.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Most digital mixers these days have multiple balanced outputs so you could just use one of those to feed the subs. Use a single output that gets a sum of only those inputs that need low frequency support and you apply a high pass on the mains outputs feeding the passive speakers to free up headroom and clean up the overall mix.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
Quite likely the bass speakers, being powered, have a crossover in them, which also means they probably have a mid-high output in which case you can send main out to them, take the low power signal from their mid-high and feed that to the amp for mains.
If it has not got mid-high out, then you need two separate outputs from the desk (as others suggested) - one to the base speakers and one to the amp for main.
If they don't have internal crossover, and anyway this is my recommendation, send output from the desk to a crossover set up correctly for the bass speakers, it provides a line level signal for them and all the rest (higher frequency stuff) line level goes to the amp.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search