The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Multitrack mixing
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Multitrack mixing

Hi, I’m looking for a multitrack mixer. I’ve made some research and apart from the soundcraft 12 mtk, it is unclear if other mixers are able to send back insert/send effects from the DAW, back to the mixer.

The soundcraft is some years old now and more recent mixers seems to have a better overall sound quality/fx according to what I read.

But the problem is that most of them don’t seem to multitrack all the mixer inputs on the daw.

Right now I’m thinking about the Mackie profx12v3. It can’t find anything that says it I can use the external effects of my daw an all separated channel (or at least 3 or 4 buses), and send it back to the mixer master. Does anyone know about this?

Also, if you have any recommandandation about a ~12in mixer with this features that would be around 300-400 bucks, I would love to hear it!

Thanks?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Zoom livetrak
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks fo the answer! I thought about this too, are the l8 and l12 the same, except for the number of in and outs ? I'd prefer to take the l8 if they're equivalent cause its a bit less costy!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Why not an entry level digital mixer? A Behringer XR18 has an 18x18 USB interface at the same price point as that Soundcraft. You're not going to get significantly better sounding preamps or effects at that price point, they all have cheap surface-mount components even if they follow the designs of the "Midas" or "iconic Soundcraft Ghost" preamps.

Using cheap mixers for hardware effects is very 1990's, back when DAW CPU's were about 500MHz. My desktop has a pretty old i7-3770 CPU and even it's got 8 logical cores at 3.4GHz, can run 200 convolution reverbs. If I'm using outboard gear it's to run it through worthwhile analog gear for the coloration of the transformers and tubes etc. None of that is in your price range. A $100 laptop DAW can do about 20x what a $500 mixer can, including some pretty good emulations of analog gear well outside your budget. You sure you shouldn't just get an audio interface or two?

Edit: Not sure why this is in the live sound forum btw

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search