The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PA, new ev etx vs used dynacord madras
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

PA, new ev etx vs used dynacord madras

Hi all, first time poster, after some advice on purchasing a powered PA system, it will be used primarily for small outdoor parties with djs playing mostly psytrance and techno. I’m looking at getting a couple of 18inch subs and a couple of 15in or 12in two way speakers, if going new I’ve pretty much decided on 2 EV etx18sp subs and 2 Ev etx12p speakers. The other option is a used dynacord madras system, it consists of 2 M18 subs and 2 M15 tops. It was installed in a club for a good few years. The ev system is going to set me back roughly $7800aus and the dynacord system is $6000aus. Taking all things into account like, price, age, professional vs prosumer, amp efficiency, fan vs convection cooling, warranty. What’s people’s thoughts on which way to go. Cheers.

Last edited by Spinksy; 3 weeks ago at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Add info
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

These are both nice subs, but they are heavy. The Ev is 114 lb and the Dynacord sub is 120lb. They will both go deep, but a system of two 15" subs on each side instead of a single 18" would be easier to handle and in most cases give a higher SPL and a cleaner responsive bass. They will also be easier on your back. You also have the option to use only a single 15" on each side if you need a smaller rig.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Jsa0100 cheers for input, I’m not really fussed on weight or size, there’s always plenty of bodies around to lend a hand, iv got the intention of buying 2 18in subs which ever way I go, just wondering if it’s a good idea buying a system that has a fair few hours on it in a club, or would I be better off buying the new ev system? Do you have any idea which system will sound better? I’m pretty much after something that’s going to sound really good rather than the loudest thing I can get.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I was originally going to vote for the Dynacord system just because its a highend brand but after looking up the specs on the sub I have to change that and vote for the ETX. It seems the M18 was specifically designed for dance club music, it uses the beefy EVX180b driver but has a rather modest power amp and worst of all a 60hz high pass filter, so this thing won't produce any low sub notes. The ETX18sp on the other hand is a beast at the lowend so it will easily outperform the Dynacord 18 there, and the ETX tops are superb so overall this is a no brainer.

P.S. I own a bunch of EKX and ZLX powered boxes that have been real soldiers and have used some of the ETX line though neither of the boxes mentioned here. In all cases these boxes are great performers in their market segment so I'm confident you would be impressed with these. The onboard DSP is very useful and the limiting quite effective yet transparent, and best of all there have been zero failures over years of use and hundreds of events.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search