The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are Tascam mixers making comeback?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Are Tascam mixers making comeback?

I wanted to simplify my bands live sound and decide to look for an 80s M series mixer from the 80s. After seeing how beat up most of them were for the price.... I decided checked out what was new. Of course thats the Model Series 12 16 and 24. Really loving the Model 24 for my small band.

Seems they may be making a comeback in their mixers?

Just gauging what your thoughts are. What say you ?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch4056 View Post
I wanted to simplify my bands live sound and decide to look for an 80s M series mixer from the 80s. After seeing how beat up most of them were for the price.... I decided checked out what was new. Of course thats the Model Series 12 16 and 24. Really loving the Model 24 for my small band.

Seems they may be making a comeback in their mixers?

Just gauging what your thoughts are. What say you ?

Thanks,

Paul
Hi Paul,

I had a friend purchase the top-of-the-line Tascam mixer about 5 years ago. He did this because he was familiar with them and understood well how to interact the mixer with Pro Tools.

His old Tascam mixer was shot and he wanted my advice (first wanted me to figure out why his new QSC speakers sounded bad .... it was the mixer).

I brought over my little Allan & Heath ZED 10fx and my X32 Rack. Both sounded outstanding using recorded material through his speakers.

I gave him several suggestions for a new mixer, but ultimately he just couldn't part with his current work-flow and tools he was used to .... and bought the new Tascam.

In his own words, "The speakers never sounded as good as the day you came over".

So we did another AB. The Tascam IMO is a sub standard sounding mixer. Any decent mixer from Behringer, Yamaha, QSC, Soundcraft, or Allen & Heath simply blow it out of the water in sound quality.

Tascam seems to have focused on keeping people who want only a recording mixer. Honestly, the sound with speakers was so bad, I am at a loss how the thing can produce a good recording
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i remember mixing on a tascam m5000 in a local studio (and it was ok-ish, depending on what one wanted to compare with) but live?! analog?!

tough market with maybe two brands dominating the segment of smaller desks and millions of old but still working desks in the class of heavy weights so i'd be really surprised if tascam would step into the live market!

but there is probably some need for smaller desks in many home studios...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search