The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Setup for a livestream concert?
Old 24th April 2020
Gear Nut

Setup for a livestream concert?

Hi!

Can anyone share any articles or starting points of the setup/gear/inputsoutputs that are used in lockdown concerts like this:

https://kroonika.delfi.ee/news/muusi...ga?id=89625057

Thank you!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds very pre-recorded and lip-synced to me. But to answer your question, the audio can be mixed with typical live sound equipment or DAW equipment, because the video can be time-aligned to any latency in the audio processing. The software most are using to merge separate audio and video into one AV stream is OBS. It's free and nicely intuitive, if you can handle DAW software you'll have no trouble dealing with OBS.

A tip about multiple video angles - with a dedicated WiFi router close to the phones and connected to the OBS computer over cat5 it's generally as good as having multiple wired webcams. I use LiveDroid on my Samsung phones, I'm sure there's an iOS equivalent. Naturally pro video equipment would be much better, but phone cams are pretty decent these days.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuku View Post
Hi!

Can anyone share any articles or starting points of the setup/gear/inputsoutputs that are used in lockdown concerts like this:

https://kroonika.delfi.ee/news/muusi...ga?id=89625057

Thank you!
The video you are referencing is a high quality production from a TV studio. They have all the gear and experience to create a multi-camera live production as seen on your regular TV.

Back with us mortals you can simply use the "Go Live" feature on YouTube using a webcam and/or any higher quality gear you have to plug into your computer. I haven't tried this myself although I have watched one or two on YouTube.

The video you referenced was quite an elaborate production. If you could do this then you would already know how.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
The video you referenced was quite an elaborate production. If you could do this then you would already know how.
This.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wait, you mean we could have been berating people for asking questions when they don't already know the answer this whole time?!

Oh yeah, we kinda often do lol

Just because you can't achieve that quality of production doesn't mean you can't achieve the practical elements with accessible equipment, as I've described.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Perhaps we should remember the existence of a huge middle ground of video gear that does not require "network pro studio" investment. A pair of GH5s with12/35 2.8 lenses and a pair of Atomos V recorders can and will provide outstanding two camera video with scratch track audio from your audio mixer. Street price investment of 6K and the free Davinci Resolve editing suite that will work well with most decent gaming computers and spend your current down time learning how to do something really creative.
Hugh
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2SPL View Post
Wait, you mean we could have been berating people for asking questions when they don't already know the answer this whole time?!

Oh yeah, we kinda often do lol

Just because you can't achieve that quality of production doesn't mean you can't achieve the practical elements with accessible equipment, as I've described.
My apologies for sounding facetious.

My point was that the video referenced by the OP wasn't a simple, "locked down at home concert" production.
It was a full on professional production.

Simple "locked down at home concerts" are often using the "Go Live" function right on YouTube straight off their computers using whatever camera's and microphone equipment they usually use for their regular video uploads. Simple one camera productions using an inbuilt webcam or sometimes some higher quality outboard gear that is still plugged straight into the computer for real time use.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

OT, although videos can be simple, a lot of broadcast concert footage is even more complex than you might imagine. Many Churches have become extremely sophisticated with video and audio as the worship teams and services are broadcast every week. If you want to see a full-on Hillsong Church conference/concert "live" video behind the scenes, check out these links:

Live song broadcast and album video behind the scenes (more information in the notes and responses to comments):
https://youtu.be/FNXTWlT8Fho

Cams:
https://youtu.be/ECAYmsyERzs

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 4 weeks ago at 01:46 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I hear good things about OBS, but I use V-Mix.

I like it. Many online tutorial videos, and it is a very comprehensive software package.

You csn start right now with a phone cam and Facebook live. I think you have to have 1000 subscribers to stream to Youtube. Then there are paid streaming services.

Webcams are hard to find right now. You know, 'work from home' edicts.

This is not something you create overnight. There are issues and tradeoffs at every point in the video chain, from cameras, to camera feed lines, to video aggregators, to switching and effects, to any recording/streaming split, to upload bandwidth, to distribution, and audience interaction and compensation.

Just before the video switching and effects point, you have to bring in your whole audio chain, and sync it all up.

You know what's invilved with audio.... at your current levels of expertise... yes?

Roughly estimate three or four times that. In addition to audio, you have video capture... A/V integration... streaming... interaction... and compensation.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

:-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search