The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room Size / PA Quality Trade-off
Old 24th April 2020
Room Size / PA Quality Trade-off

Is it feasible to get a small (tiny) PA system that is on par with budget studio monitors, and for what sort of cost? If I forego portability and loudness and focus on best sound in a room less than 20 sqM what would be the cheapest option? Would I need a PA in such a small space?

I am interested in something like decent monitors for a normal club being used in a small room as a main PA, or any other possible trade-offs or possibilities really.

I suppose generally I want to know whether there is much advantage to the room getting smaller and what the minimum is/diminishing returns are. I suspect at some room size you are always having to buy a PA that could fill a bigger room.

Apologies for the vague question(s), but it seems most budget PA's are focused on portability and being louder than I'd need. And searching I can only find threads where people want to use studio monitors as PA's or vice-versa.
Old 25th April 2020
Lives for gear

i'm not getting your point: what do you wanna achieve with your pa speakers? to use them in small venues and as monitors in your studio? - what listening distance/throw capacity/spl/dimensions/weight/budget?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i'm not getting your point: what do you wanna achieve with your pa speakers? to use them in small venues and as monitors in your studio? - what listening distance/throw capacity/spl/dimensions/weight/budget?
I want to use them in my own venue/space, permanently. I'm not interested in weight or in an extra few db. Budget wise I'm not sure exactly but say 1000 EUR not including a sub.

I'd be happy to get a PA that would be considered weak SPL wise and I believe a good sub is out of the question.

I don't want to use them as studio monitors, but I want to fill a small room with that sort of quality of sound. My standards are quite low in terms of studio monitors (Yamaha HS5, JBL305).

Apologies for the lack of clarity...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

plenty of live sr rental companies going out of business/bankrupt right now or trying to save their asses by selling some of their gear...

check into the usual suspects: meyer, d&b, martin, l'acoustics, nexo, eaw, rcf etc. if your budget is meant per speaker - can't comment on mi-gear, sorry...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultK View Post
I am interested in something like decent monitors for a normal club being used in a small room as a main PA, or any other possible trade-offs or possibilities really.
So this is a club PA system? That is a small room so the system requirements may be modest but ultimately it all comes down to what SPL you want to achieve. If you don't need it really loud.. possible to carry on a conversation without too much difficulty, then some larger studio monitors might do but like anything the harder you have to push them the worse they will sound.. a proper PA speaker running at 10% of it's potential output will sound better than a studio monitor pushed to it's limits. Speakers don't last when abused like that either and reliability is important for any kind of pro application so this is another reason to select a somewhat overkill solution.
But there is no way around this next point.. cheap speakers sound cheap, the line where crap crosses to half decent is more achievable these days but you're still gonna have to spend some money to get better SQ.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

RCF has a broad line of near field point source offerings that will satisfy your needs. Find a reputable dealer and audition some of their systems.
Hugh
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultK View Post
Is it feasible to get a small (tiny) PA system that is on par with budget studio monitors, and for what sort of cost? If I forego portability and loudness and focus on best sound in a room less than 20 sqM what would be the cheapest option? Would I need a PA in such a small space?

I suppose generally I want to know whether there is much advantage to the room getting smaller and what the minimum is/diminishing returns are. I suspect at some room size you are always having to buy a PA that could fill a bigger room.

Apologies for the vague question(s), but it seems most budget PA's are focused on portability and being louder than I'd need. And searching I can only find threads where people want to use studio monitors as PA's or vice-versa.
Is this a club, or your basement? What kind of events are you interested in doing? A party at home, or installed sound at a small club?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I couldn't agree more with Paul.
For small venues, good quality second hand compact speakers (EV, Tannoy etc.) can be much better than the modern cheap active speakers made in China with plywood, crossovers made from consumer electronic or power supply bits and generic drivers that are far from HiFi. I think a small venue PA should be literally a big HiFi system. I work on a small budget and have a bunch of Tannoy V12s which gives me flexibility too - from a pair on poles up to a stack of 6 each side. They are old and I never push them. In my view (as a baldy wrinkly has-been) older speakers tend to be better quality than their modern counterparts. However, many second hand PA speakers have been abused: I have seen rusted driver magnets and many HF units blown. Mics are important too - get some really nice ones, not just a job lot of sticky SM57 and 58s. I have always believed that the transducers at each end are the key to a good sound. I therefore also recommend keeping the electronics to a minimum of good quality simple and reliable. Treat it as a retired racing car.
OK, I realise their is quite an undercurrent of nostalgia in this reply, but I still have some of the kit I bought 40 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul o View Post
So this is a club PA system? That is a small room so the system requirements may be modest but ultimately it all comes down to what SPL you want to achieve. If you don't need it really loud.. possible to carry on a conversation without too much difficulty, then some larger studio monitors might do but like anything the harder you have to push them the worse they will sound.. a proper PA speaker running at 10% of it's potential output will sound better than a studio monitor pushed to it's limits. Speakers don't last when abused like that either and reliability is important for any kind of pro application so this is another reason to select a somewhat overkill solution.
But there is no way around this next point.. cheap speakers sound cheap, the line where crap crosses to half decent is more achievable these days but you're still gonna have to spend some money to get better SQ.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search