The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ambiant noise mic?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

ambiant noise mic?

I have a background music system. I'm running it through a DBX ZonePro 640m. I would like to have the background music ramp up as the noise in the room gets louder. the 640m can do that, but I am curious what microphone is best to use for this? i would like it to be small, and maybe hide it behind one of my monitors if possible, but not sure if that will be good enough.

any suggestions on mic type, and location would be great!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

How about the EV 635A? Very wide pattern, no low end (which is desirable in this sort of application), inexpensive, and you can drive a truck over it without damaging it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks! I worry that one may be a bit to big.

What are your thoughts on like a choir mic or something like that?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'd sooner go with a lav mike that is deliberately rolled off at the bottom end if you're looking for something tiny that you can hide. Doesn't have to be a good one, doesn't have to be hard to overload, so that ECM50 that has been sitting in the bottom of the closet is probably fine.

The manual for the original Altec NOALA has a really nice discussion about this.
--scott
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search