The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
amoral marketing beyond believe!
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

amoral marketing beyond believe!

i first only got to hear about this and couldn't (or didn't want to) believe it but i now know for fact that (at least) two large distributors of pro-audio gear in central europe are offering you, when you buy one of their top-of-the line desk, a substantial discount

IF YOU CAN PROVIDE EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRASHED AN OLDER MODEL OF THEIR DESKS BEYOND REPAIR !?!

dunno if that's "normal" around your place or if this nonsense got practiced earlier on: i find it nothing but decadent, reprehensible, brutalized, barbaric etc. and i'm embarrased to be part of an industry in which some idiots show absolutely no responsibilty for any of their actions!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Marketing gimmick?
An attempt to get new gear on the market but not have the old gear hanging around on the second hand market.
Evidence of the failure of the mass manufacturing model of business or evidence of market saturation.

The market for automobiles is FAR worse. 5 year old cars being trashed. BRAND NEW and never sold cars being stockpiled by the 100's of thousands. Many to be eventually trashed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

It doesn't surprise me. There's a digital desk behind every corner.
Little bands where the guitar player is the sound guy, using A&H Qu series and similar;
Garage rental companies using Midas Pro, Vi series, etc...
It's also within contemporary culture to continually upgrade everything (without proper knowledge in many cases).
I personally don't like it, but I can't say whether it is bad or not.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyloo View Post
It's also within contemporary culture to continually upgrade everything (without proper knowledge in many cases).
I personally don't like it, but I can't say whether it is bad or not.
Just changing stuff is not necessarily upgrading...just saying.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Just changing stuff is not necessarily upgrading...just saying.
I know. Maybe upgrading is not the right term.
Updating sounds better.
Going from analog Midas, A&H ML, Soundcraft MH,etc.. to some basic digital console is a situation that probably fits 90% of small businesses.

Years ago, I remember the only cheap digital console for mass market was the 01V and no one would have been happy to use it.
Cheaper "pro" lines would be the first Soundcraft SI or similar. Still, "cheap" but at least here not many would have spent for a console like that.
I guess those years have slowly got us used to the idea of comfort of the digital console.
Behringer made a revolution with the X32, they basically forced everyone else to produce a cheap digital console in order to stay competitive on the market.
The Si Performer would go for € 5-6k.
Right after the X32, they made the Expression (Performer new name), sold for € 2k

So I'm not amazed by how many digital consoles I see right now.
And by how difficult must be for companies to sell new versions of digital consoles, everyone already has it now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

the amoral offer is valid but when buying the top of the line desks, costing north of 70k and of course the discount depends on the desk being trashed; they are mainly aiming at desks which were 40k and up some 12 years ago...

still wondering how desperate a distributor needs to be to propose such bs?!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

It's really the same as the trade-in deals that Digi/Avid used to do (maybe they still do) with PT hardware. Only difference is who does the trashing and landfill-filling.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i never bought into digidesign's/pt's/avid's (or dolby's) ponzy scheme so can't tell - what bugs me though is that while after some years it indeed become difficult to keep interfaces with ever evolving software and computer hardware going, these desks were fully developed, have no faults, are stable in use and could keep going for a couple more years...
they could at the very least get donnated to some institutions, to less wealthy organisations etc.
the reputation these manufacturers could gain from being generous imo would get them more (potential) customers in the long run than those few shopping (not for gear but) for prices...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The brave new World of manufacturing automobiles,

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...79991542821914
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post

IF YOU CAN PROVIDE EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRASHED AN OLDER MODEL OF THEIR DESKS BEYOND REPAIR !?!

dunno if that's "normal" around your place or if this nonsense got practiced earlier on: i find it nothing but decadent, reprehensible, brutalized, barbaric etc. and i'm embarrased to be part of an industry in which some idiots show absolutely no responsibilty for any of their actions!
Ah, I remember freedom of speech. Enjoy that freedom, because I know you're not "with it," but my guess is that you will be soon. To your last statement, this is what I think of endless hearsay gossipers - they really are. The mayhem and havoc they sow (and reap).

Could it be that you're simply perpetuating this false notion that random people trashed & tarnished someone's old desk beyond repair, and that it just might be a laughable presumption based on what ya heard on the boulevard? It may be okay to question things, by why strike a match and help what really isn't likely to be based in reality.

By the way, how'd ya even know?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
The brave new World of manufacturing automobiles,

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...79991542821914
Nissan's?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

not sure whether i couldn't get my message across, you didn't get it or if i'm misunderstanding you...

to clarify: as a co-owner of a rental company, i got offered a price reduction when buying a new desk but trash my old desk(s).

for obvious reasons, i did not get a written confirmation from the distributor (or i would have posted it here!) but a very credible offer from the sales rep who i know for years - not that he would have needed to do so but to underlign his position/credibility, he showed me pics of trashed desks (and pretty similar offerings exist from another distributor as i found out via a friend of mine of whom i also have no reason to assume he's telling me bs).

you know what i did? i literally kicked out the sales rep and threatened to beat him up should he ever dare to contact me again with such a crazy proposal! - i don't wanna be associated with a company trying to do business this way and i'm seriously thinking of getting rid of the gear from this manufacturer! luckily, i do have a choice!

my way of enjoying 'freedom of speech'* or other achievements of a free society...

* the term you used before editing your post

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 4 weeks ago at 06:00 PM.. Reason: edited once

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search