The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
System for medium-sized hall
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

System for medium-sized hall

Hey guys,
since i'm not a pro by any stretch when it comes to live-sound, i'm hoping for some of your help.

Here's the deal:

I'm looking for a sound-system for a hall that is 600 sqm in size. There will be mainly speech and backround-music. On a small stage, which is placed in front of one wall I would set up a stereo pair with subwoofers/LFEs. A second stereo pair may be put on the walls in some distance to the stage (ideally wireless).

Moreover there will be a beamer, which will be used for presentations, so sound should come with picture as well and the orator also should be able to use a mic. The amp should offer bluetooth and WLAN.
In the future smaller concerts (singers, acoustic guitars, e-piano) are planned, so the integration of a mixer to deal with several mic-signals should be possible, too. In another separate room should be one more stereo-pair, which the main source should supply (wireless? second zone?).
Aaaaand sure enough: the easy "all-in-one" handling via one device is required.

I already came accross systems like the Bose L1, since it's supposed to cater to sound in halls nicely. But I guess it's to limited for my needs.

Any tipps are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,
Manu
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Bose L1 is indeed very likely to be much too little and much too limited for what you need.

The best advice I can give is to hire a professional acoustic/sound system consultant, preferably one not directly associated with a dealer or particular manufacturer. There are a lot of possible systems--at a variety of different costs--but understanding what would work well for you and your venue requires a whole lot more detailed information and some experience. For instance, you need to consider the exact shape and layout of the room, how high the ceiling is, how acoustically live or dead it is, what volume levels you require, what genere of music you'll be playing (and so whether it's especially bass heavy or not), and myriad other things.

As a general observation, wired connections are generally less expensive, more reliable, higher fidelity, and generally less fiddly than wireless connections. Where it's practical to hook up wires you probably want to do so. Bluetooth halfway across a 20 or 30 m room might work if nobody is around, but fail miserably when a crowd of people and their smartphones arrive.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maticson View Post
Hey guys,
since i'm not a pro by any stretch when it comes to live-sound, i'm hoping for some of your help.

Here's the deal:

The amp should offer bluetooth and WLAN.

Aaaaand sure enough: the easy "all-in-one" handling via one device is required.

Cheers,
Manu
I am not sure of any pro audio amp that has built in Bluetooth or WLAN

Also, what do you mean by "all in one handling via one device".

1. What do you need Bluetooth for
2. Why do you need WLAN for an amp?
3. Are projectors called beamers?

On the surface you need.

Bluetooth to XLR receiver to plug into a mixer.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

A mixer, and speakers.

"Easy all in one"...Easy is subjective, do you mean easy like the most simple analog mixer with the most basic but needed functions?

Also what kind of budget do you have for a system and possibly to hire a professional system designer?

Are you looking to use speakers on a pole or have them installed? If installed then you really need to hire a pro with good credentials to fly them.

For wireless speakers you can try something like this:

A "zone 2" in separate room might not need a delay, but supplemental speakers in the main zone will need, well, a delay.
Many digital consoles have delay ability, but then you have to work a digital console. The other option is a DSP.

The most basic system would be

1. Bluetooth to XLR
2. Analog mixer
3. DSP
4. Main speakers and sub
5. Delay speakers
6. Zone 2 speakers
7. 4 wireless XLR trans/receivers plus sub power cables/bricks to keep them juiced and not running on battery power

The thing is, even if you bought everything yourself, you will still need someone who knows how to set all this stuff up. Delay or supplemental speakers need to be time aligned to main PA and also often need to have filters added to blend in correctly to main PA.

As Drew said "Where it's practical to hook up wires you probably want to do so" and also you will need a pro at some point in this set up.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
The Bose L1 is indeed very likely to be much too little and much too limited for what you need.

The best advice I can give is to hire a professional acoustic/sound system consultant, preferably one not directly associated with a dealer or particular manufacturer. There are a lot of possible systems--at a variety of different costs--but understanding what would work well for you and your venue requires a whole lot more detailed information and some experience. For instance, you need to consider the exact shape and layout of the room, how high the ceiling is, how acoustically live or dead it is, what volume levels you require, what genere of music you'll be playing (and so whether it's especially bass heavy or not), and myriad other things.

As a general observation, wired connections are generally less expensive, more reliable, higher fidelity, and generally less fiddly than wireless connections. Where it's practical to hook up wires you probably want to do so. Bluetooth halfway across a 20 or 30 m room might work if nobody is around, but fail miserably when a crowd of people and their smartphones arrive.
Thanks for your response. I am actually aware of what you said - but I couldn't do it myself so it'll be inevitable to hire a pro. Maybe I was a little to naive to think, there is a simple all-in-one solution.

thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine View Post
I am not sure of any pro audio amp that has built in Bluetooth or WLAN

Also, what do you mean by "all in one handling via one device".

1. What do you need Bluetooth for
2. Why do you need WLAN for an amp?
3. Are projectors called beamers?

On the surface you need.

Bluetooth to XLR receiver to plug into a mixer.

A mixer, and speakers.

"Easy all in one"...Easy is subjective, do you mean easy like the most simple analog mixer with the most basic but needed functions?

Also what kind of budget do you have for a system and possibly to hire a professional system designer?

Are you looking to use speakers on a pole or have them installed? If installed then you really need to hire a pro with good credentials to fly them.

For wireless speakers you can try something like this:

A "zone 2" in separate room might not need a delay, but supplemental speakers in the main zone will need, well, a delay.
Many digital consoles have delay ability, but then you have to work a digital console. The other option is a DSP.

The most basic system would be

1. Bluetooth to XLR
2. Analog mixer
3. DSP
4. Main speakers and sub
5. Delay speakers
6. Zone 2 speakers
7. 4 wireless XLR trans/receivers plus sub power cables/bricks to keep them juiced and not running on battery power

The thing is, even if you bought everything yourself, you will still need someone who knows how to set all this stuff up. Delay or supplemental speakers need to be time aligned to main PA and also often need to have filters added to blend in correctly to main PA.

As Drew said "Where it's practical to hook up wires you probably want to do so" and also you will need a pro at some point in this set up.

Thanks for answering.
Obviously I was too naive looking for a simple solution.

By all-in-one I meant controllable via one surface, like a software on a tablet or something. Or at least only one unit, where I could adjust all parameters.

So I'll certainly have to hire a planner no matter what.

Thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You obviously do not have sufficient experience in A/V activities to make good decisions with out A/V professional help. Your best bet will be to rent from a well respected pro sound dealer the type of gear they feel would be appropriate for your immediate needs. Something on the order of an Evox12 speaker system and a small audio mixer along with the mics needed for the gig. A reputable dealer should be able to provide a suitable system, set-up and operational instruction for a very small amount of rent $ in order to be in line to sell you an appropriate system for your needs.
Hugh
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maticson View Post
Thanks for answering.
Obviously I was too naive looking for a simple solution.

By all-in-one I meant controllable via one surface, like a software on a tablet or something. Or at least only one unit, where I could adjust all parameters.

So I'll certainly have to hire a planner no matter what.

Thank you!
I wouldn't say Naïve, just uninformed.

There are MANY mixers that can all be controlled from a tablet, whatever pro you hire should know of them.

Even with an analog mixer, once the system is set up you will control the mix/sound just from the mixer, the other things like DSP are basically "Set and forget" once they are set up right.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search