The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Pro, Backing Tracks and Focusrite Clarett live setup
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Logic Pro, Backing Tracks and Focusrite Clarett live setup

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling to get this live setup going as a solo vocalist, in short I want to sing live with a mono backing track being played out of the speakers to the audience, and a mono click/guide track in my headphones/in ears. My setup is the following: MacBook Pro running Logic X, a Focusrite Clarett with 2 inputs and 4 outputs, an SM58, two KRK Rokit Speakers. These are just for small intimate gigs (think small rooms, living rooms etc...) so I don't need a ton of volume/power.

Essentially is there a way using this setup, to have the mono backing track played out to the audience using the speakers, the click track in my headphones only, and the vocal mic going to both the speakers and the headphones??

I've tried a few different combinations of routing using the Focusrite Control software, however there's always an issue, like the click and the backing track goes to the speakers.

I'm willing to invest in any additional cables/gear I may need to get this routing to work properly, thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to read this and reply
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Head

The easiest method is hard panning tracks to, say right, and click to the left. Send the right output to house. Most setups would have a small, 4 channel mixer before your headphone amp so that your monitor mix isn't an annoying split channel setup.

It is possible you'll need to record a click to it's own track so you have pan control rather than just using logic's click.

There are more elegant, complicated routing options but this is pretty straightforward and fairly standard these days.

Another option would be routing tracks to one buss, tracks and click to another (again, probably easiest if it's a track with a recorded click) and then route those to outputs. Without knowing your interface I can't give you specifics on how to route busses to outputs, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

To get the mic into your ears, you can use a splitter to go to house and the headphone mixer or if there's house sound, they can send you an aux of just the mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search