The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midas Pro2 FOH, M32 Monitor, plus multitrack recording
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Midas Pro2 FOH, M32 Monitor, plus multitrack recording

Hi folks, I'm speccing out a live sound system and need some advice on the best way to integrate a Midas Pro2 as FOH, M32 as Monitor console, and also have multitrack recording capability. Stage box is a DL251.

I'm aware that the Pro2 and M32 would be connected via a DN9650 as a SRC from 96kHz to 48kHz so the M32 can access the first 32 inputs of the DL251 via the Pro2, in a Master/Slave situation.

However, I'm trying to find the most efficient way of adding multi-track recording capability. Dante seems to be the best bet, but that would mean another DN9650. In this case, would I cascade the DN9650 being used for SRC into the second DN9650 (with Dante module) to create a Dante network? I assume this would allow both the M32 and recording laptop to share the inputs from the Dante network.

Is there a more efficient or cost effective way of doing this?

As a side note, a friend recommended to do an analogue split before the DL251, giving the M32 it's own stage box (DL32) and therefore dedicated control over it's own analogue head amp gain. This seems like overkill to me, but is the Dante-based system particularly prone to stability issues, warranting this analogue split?

Thanks guys.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

analog split

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoo View Post
(...) As a side note, a friend recommended to do an analogue split before the DL251, giving the M32 it's own stage box (DL32) and therefore dedicated control over it's own analogue head amp gain. This seems like overkill to me, but is the Dante-based system particularly prone to stability issues, warranting this analogue split?
i haven't been using analog splits for safety reasons but to allow for individual gain settings - requirements for foh and mon can still vary a lot.

with a capable desk (and remote control capabilities) however, one may question whether a separate monitor desk is always needed (and/or wanted) - if so, carrying an additional stagebox however seems like a minor concern...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If the M32 has a USB card you can do 32ch of multitrack off of that... I'm quite sure they make Dante cards for them as well. Analog split and a separate stagebox for the M32 would have my preference because of independent gain. Keep in mind that in both situations the recording has no independent gain so the mic pre's feeding the recording are best kept untouched during the show.

Dutchy
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy15 View Post
If the M32 has a USB card you can do 32ch of multitrack off of that...
If you're buying a new M32, it'll come as the M32 Live with the DN32-LIVE card, which will also let you do 32 ch of recording direct to SD card - no PC/DAW required.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search