The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha DZR15 vs JBL SRX815P ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Yamaha DZR15 vs JBL SRX815P ?

Hi everyone, I want to change my main PA sound system, a couple of JBL PRX 635 3-ways speakers, no sub needed for our lives, just put some kick in the mix thanks to that 15" and I'm satisfied with the final sound.

I'm looking for a more compact and easy-to-transport system and for the performance, at least on sheet, I'm considering a couple of Yamaha DZR15 or JBL SRX815P, very similar specs each other.
I like both of them in terms of sound: typical JBL and Crown "shade" on the SRX, not so far from the PRX I now own and I listened to couple of DZR12 (not 15 unfortunately) and I liked the sound, perhaps a bit more flat and darker than JBL but anyway clear and well-balanced. I imagine the DZR15 will just have a little more "power" and fullness because of the bigger speaker.

As I said, the specs are very similar in both speakers BUT:

-Yamaha has declared 139 dB SPL and 950 continuous watts with a peak of 2000, 1.7 kHz crossover, 2" driver with 1" throat for HF and a 34-20.000 Hz freq response

-JBL has declared 137 dB SPL (a little lower than DZR) but 1500 continuous watts always with a peak of 2000, 2 kHz crossover, 3" driver with a 1.5" throat for HF and a 36-21.000 Hz freq response

So, on sheet, Yamaha is better in some ways, JBL is better in other ways and I like both of them. Which is your advice or experiences ?

And I ask, If once or twice a year I need to mic' up a full metal band (drum kit, 2 guitars, one bass guitar and vocals) those 2-ways will struggle handling all ? I repeat I don't need an external sub, would be a waste of money to use it once or twice a year and would be a problem transporting it.

Thanks to everyone for your replies !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Keep in mind those specs are just peak bursts for a short time if even that.
139db claim out of a 12" two way is kind of absurd.
The same goes for the 137db spec.
That PRX weighs 60lbs and your happy without a sub.
If you are going to make a move how about something that is a big step up instead of basically sideways move?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
Keep in mind those specs are just peak bursts for a short time if even that.
139db claim out of a 12" two way is kind of absurd.
The same goes for the 137db spec.
That PRX weighs 60lbs and your happy without a sub.
If you are going to make a move how about something that is a big step up instead of basically sideways move?
Oh thanks for your reply. And what is intended with a big step forward ? Array for example ? If so, can a 10" or 12" array speaker handle some kick and a band occasionally without sub ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

While I agree that the SPL and wattage figures are basically useless .... the SPL ratings are at least somewhat meaningful within a brand.

I own a pair of DSR112's which are rated at 134db by Yamaha. These speakers outrun everything in their price range, and quite a few speakers that are much more expensive.

While I haven't heard the new DZR15's, the old DSR115 was a monster with respect to output. I suspect that the DZR15's are every bit as impressive in volume, and are superior in sound quality.

The Yamaha powered speakers all carry a 7 year warranty. For me, this really went a long way since it was obvious that Yamaha felt the speaker could take a beating and survive (and they did).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good read.

One factor that the article didn't cover is sound quality ..... does the speaker actually sound good? 142db of crap noise is simply not a good deal at any price.

Of course, there is always the arguement that you can eq out the nasty from a speaker. Maybe that is true; however, try as I might, I have never been able to make those old JBL EON 15's with the plastic case sound anything but bad. I believe that there are speakers that simply sound band and are beyond any mortal mix engineer's chops to make better. They are simply hopeless.

That being said, I like the article's direction ..... and I have no way to quantify a new specification of "Max SPL TDSLS" (That Doesn't Sound Like S***)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
Good read.

One factor that the article didn't cover is sound quality ..... does the speaker actually sound good? 142db of crap noise is simply not a good deal at any price.

Of course, there is always the arguement that you can eq out the nasty from a speaker. Maybe that is true; however, try as I might, I have never been able to make those old JBL EON 15's with the plastic case sound anything but bad. I believe that there are speakers that simply sound band and are beyond any mortal mix engineer's chops to make better. They are simply hopeless.

That being said, I like the article's direction ..... and I have no way to quantify a new specification of "Max SPL TDSLS" (That Doesn't Sound Like S***)
Unless it is horn loaded you can only expect so much.
The horn loading is what gives small drivers more output and more pattern control.
Keep that in mind.
Missing Aged Horses opinions
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unless it is horn loaded you can only expect so much.
The horn loading is what gives small drivers more output and more pattern control.
Keep that in mind.
Missing Aged Horses opinions
Yes. Andy was a wealth of knowledge for sure. Does he still lurk on the forum?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEng View Post
Yes. Andy was a wealth of knowledge for sure. Does he still lurk on the forum?
Last I saw of him I think he was designing amps for Mesa Boogie
and hanging on a bass player forum.

I think he kind of sold out his sound company and focused on his
engineering skills designing amps.

The guy is a wealth of knowledge and experience.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search